Possible to Disable send receive at startup, but keep scheduled send receive active?

• Thread starter Albert D. Kallal [MVP]
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Albert D. Kallal [MVP]

Outlook 2010, win7, pop3 email

I notice for outlook 2010, there"s a new option to check that will do is send and receive on close of outlook, but I looking for the reverse typical scenario to fire up outlook to look at calendar, set an appointment, check an appointment or at least look at the calendar, and perhaps take a quick look of what I have left for the day in terms of tasks, and then I shutdown outlook, all without any send/receive (bandwidth) cost.

I was under the impression also that holding down the shift key during startup of outlook would also disabled the send/receive, but that does not seem to work in 2010 either.

So is there a way to not have outlook do the initial send receive on startup, but have the scheduled send/receive say set at 10 minutes?

I am kind of looking from having to manually change the setting back and forth. However, I am open to the idea of holding down some key and I"ve come pretty accustomed to hitting F9 right after startup to get my initial send receive WHEN I do want it now.

However, I looking for the ideal, that on startup, no send/receive occurs, but if I leave outlook running, then the scheduled send/receive will occur.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

R

Roady [MVP]

There is no such option. If this is a common scenario for you, then you could opt to place Outlook in Offline mode before closing down Outlook. This will start Outlook in Offline mode again as well.

You'll find the button on the Send/Receive tab and can be added to the Quick Access Toolbar.

Robert Sparnaaij

A

Albert D. Kallal [MVP]

Thank you kindly.

That offline mode seems to be a possible approach. And it is quite handy also (it does however disable f9 and thus it a true off line mode as stated)

There is also some possibility I suppose to setup some VBA at startup that could play with a switch from off line to on line, and then the scheduled send/receive would thus run if I keep outlook open. Regardless, I wanted to be sure there was not a simple option I had overlooked.

Once again, thanks for presenting my choices. This all comes down if there is a easy option I overlooked, then I can change it.

I am not really looking for too werid” workaround such as some VBA at startup as my thinking out loud suggests.

I can well live with the vast majority of times in which I prefer a send/receive to occur on startup. This is a laptop, so there always the quick wifi disable button anyway.

Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

R

Roady [MVP]

You're welcome! :)

F9 should still work in Offline Mode though. This is an option that you can set via;

Send/Receive tab-> button Send/Receive Groups-> Define Send/Receive Groups...

Robert Sparnaaij

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible it set the fonts used to read incoming mail Using Outlook 11
S Is it possible to cusstomise selectable Options in Kalander. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Is it no longer possible to suppress Outlook 2019 Invalid Certificate name mismatch security alert via Registry? Using Outlook 1
BretAB Is it possible to add a lookup field to a Message form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
A Possible to hide ribbon with custom appointment form? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M possible to search Outlook for multiple email addresses at once? Using Outlook 1
semnaitik Is it possible to recover content from a 0KB PST file? Using Outlook 3
J Is this possible to do with a macro? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 17
D Is it possible to automatically send an email when it is moved to a folder? Exchange Server Administration 1
T Exchange setup not possible with outlook.de username Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
H Is it possible to create a view that only show the first task in a list? Using Outlook 1
H Is It Possible to See Who Has Viewed My Calendar in Exchange? Using Outlook 2
P Is it possible to convert address book to "Auto-Complete List" (NK2)? Using Outlook 5
C in outlook 2007-Contact Group-One name have 3 mail id-its possible? Using Outlook 3
J convert .pst to .eml, how is it possible? Using Outlook 1
S Is it possible to recover a permanently deleted email from my .OST file? Using Outlook 0
M Is it possible to restore deleted webmail to server? Using Outlook 3
P Is it possible to write a macro to email to all addresses of selected contacts? Using Outlook 1
D is it possible to have both a POP and IMAP account in Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 5
C Is it possible to have contacts sync real-time between Outlook and iCloud? Using Outlook 1
P Is it possible to sort emails by COUNT of "From" field? Using Outlook 2
Justo Horrillo It's possible to modify the behaviour of the conversation option? Using Outlook 2
S Possible to link to ics file without importing? Using Outlook 4
P Outlook 2003 - possible to recreate corrupt account? Using Outlook 3
FirefIy Marking message read only if replied to the message or Ctrl+Q. Possible? Using Outlook 1
O Script to move emails to a folder based on various possible keywords Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
A Is it possible to remove the word Categories: from task list views? Using Outlook 2
B Is it possible with Outlook form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Steve Jacobs Possible to configure TNEF options based on *sender*? Exchange Server Administration 3
S Is it possible to backup Outlook.com/Outlook 2013 Email & Calendar info? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
O Is it possible to go from BCM Office 13 back to BCM Office 2010? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
E Show field from account on contact form - possible? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
A Possible to modify people preview window? Using Outlook 1
T OL BCM 2007 - Possible to migrate SQL Server Express 2012 ? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
V Name of attachment in replies (HTML) - possible?? Using Outlook 12
C Is it possible: List of URL fields BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
D Frequently used response short cut possible macro Using Outlook 1
mrje1 Assigned Categories keep getting deleted in mail, bug? How to fix if possible? Using Outlook 5
Commodore Exporting all contacts to VCF files possible? Using Outlook 4
M I'd like to alter the appointment balloons. Possible? Calendar Printing Assistant 6
J Is it possible to highlight a folder in Outlook 2007? Using Outlook 2
L I want ONE calendar if possible with no overlaying Using Outlook 1
S possible to access my PST file on the Internet Using Outlook 2
N Outlook Rules - is this possible? Using Outlook 3
G Possible to create reports that return contacts based on account criteria? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
N Citrix installation possible? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Is it possible to hide a mailbox but still send on the behalf of. Exchange Server Administration 1
D Is it possible to set up an email rule for a user based on alias address? Exchange Server Administration 3
K Possible to have a calendar which defaults to no reminder? Using Outlook 3
T Removing time zone setting from an appointment / meeting: is it possible? Using Outlook 2