Sent attachments disappearing from emails when they are received

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Billy 1036fm

Hi

I am using Windows XP, Office 2007 and pop3 server.

I tend to use RTF for my emails (as opposed to Plain or HTML) as it is able to bold, underline, color etc. Sometimes when I send email attachments they appear in my sent items folder but the recipient comes back and says you didn't send the attachment which I know I have.

Any ideas what causes this and how can it be fixed please. It happens locally UK to UK and also internationally as well.

Thanks

G

GordonBP

Presumably you are sending to a non-Outlook user?

Send your emails using Plain Text format and see if that helps.

H

Hal Hostetler - Print-Imaging [MVP]

RTF is understood by Outlook ONLY, ALL other email clients will either get no attachment, or one named "Winmail.dat" which cannot be opened. To prevent this, send RTF messages only to folks you know are using Outlook, send either Plain Text or HTML to everyone else.Hal

G

GordonBP

RTF is understood by Outlook ONLY, ALL other email clients will either get no attachment, or one named "Winmail.dat" which cannot be opened.
Interestingly Thunderbird has an add-in called Lookout which converts the winmail.dat file to the proper attachments...

B

Billy 1036fm

Hal, Gordon

Thanks for the heads up - I now need to determine which of my contacts are using MS Outlook, outlook express or some other email tool.

Thought most people were using outlook to be fair but obviously I am wrong.

I know plain text works OK but you can't use bold, underlining or colurs etc.

Will give it a try all the same.

G

GordonBP

You can try HTML but I beleive even that can have problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.