Auto Responder

• Thread starter mtrosper
  • Start date Views 702
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mtrosper

I have Exchange 2007 and am in need of an auto responder for a certain mail account. I cannot do it through Outlook as we continually run into the infinite loop problem and out of office will not work for this situation. Is there a way to do this without a third party tool for example with a transport agent? If a third party tool of some sort is the only option could someone provide some good vendors if known?

I

ibenna [MVP]

I have been looking for a solution for this same scenario for some time but haven't been able to find one. Just as I saw your posting I had an idea (which I still have not tested yet):

What if you configure an Outlook rule to send automatic responses to emails sent to this mailbox but also configure a rule that does not allow messages to be received for the email address that was used to send the auto-response (hope it makes sense). As an example, I have a mailbox that accepts messages from internal and external users as it is published on my website. The mailbox name is INFORMATION and has an email address of info@domain.com so the problem I have is when someone on the internet uses a mailbox also configured with auto-response sends an email to my info mailbox. An infinite loop is created.

MY THOUGHTS:-

What if the mailbox is configured with 2 email addresses, info@domain.com and info-NOREPLY@domain.com so that when the auto-response email is generated it comes from info-NOREPLY@domain.com. A transport rule can then be created that silently drops any email that has been sent to info-NOREPLY@domain.com. As I mentioned, I have not tried this out yet but will be doing so once i get into the office tomorrow. If you have a lab environment, please try it out and let me know the results.

Thank you, Ibrahim Benna MCSA+Messaging, MCSE+Messaging, MCT, MVP "Did you backup your Information Store Today?!"

M

mtrosper

Thank you for your response and your idea I never thought of it that way.

I did try this however you cannot choose the from address to be anything other than the primary address on an account. So if in your rule you set up to have the server reply with a specific message and then format the message with a from address of info-noreply@domain.com it won't save/activate the rule as Outlook does not allow you to "send as" an alias on your account.

I may have not followed the same idea you had however, that being said I do believe you could do this by creating another account to have the info-noreply@domain.com address and then give the info@domain.com address send as permission to the info-noreply@domain.com via the EMC. Then you could configure the rule through Outlook for the info@domain.com account to auto reply with a specific message and fill in the From address on that message to be info-noreply@domain.com. This accomplishes the same thing as you mentioned before but you have to have 2 accounts to do it and then you still setup the transport rule as you said above.

I haven't tried this yet but will be first thing in the morning.

G

Gavin-Zhang

Hi mtrosper,

Sure, per my known, there is no direct method meatch your target, maybe ibenna's suggestion is a good way.
Any update for it?

Regards!
Gavin

M

mtrosper

This is how I ended up fixing it, it's been working without an infinite loop for 48 hours now.

I setup a rule in Outlook with the auto response I want on the account, set to have server reply with template. The subject line of the auto response is Email Not Received. I then set a transport rule on the Exchange side to silently drop any messages sent to accountwithautoresponse@domain.com that have Re:Email Not Received in the subject line. So far this is what's working for me.

I

ibenna [MVP]

Mtrosper,

Thats good to know! I still havent had a chance to test it out as my lab is having some issues and have to rebuild it :(! I will notify you if I get my method working or if yours works for me as well!

Thank you, Ibrahim Benna MCSA+Messaging, MCSE+Messaging, MCT, MVP "Did you backup your Information Store Today?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.