Reboot a CAS array member causes Outlook 2010 clients to prompt for credentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Corbett Enders

Setup has a 2 member front-end CAS Array running Exchange 2010 with NLB for load balancing.

2 member DAG group hosting the mailboxes.

If I reboot a CAS array member, many (but not all) of our Outlook clients are prompted to enter their credentials. I don't believe this should happen, can someone point me in the right direction to resolve this?

C

Chris Morgan - Presidio

is it the same clients each time that get prompted? is it the same server that gets rebooted or this happens no matter which one you reboot? Are all clients a part of the domain and are they logged into the domain when using outlook?

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

NLB is not application aware.

I recommend doing a drainstop on the node you wish to reboot prior to the scheduled outage and give it enough time to minimize the number of affected users. Use perfmon to see view the amount of connected users and monitor. Once it reaches an acceptable level, stop the node and reboot.

User in cache mode should be the least affected.

C

Corbett Enders

Andy I suspect you are right... we'll try that the next time I feel the need to reboot a CAS server.

Chris, it happens to random users. All clients are on logged into workstations that are part of the domain using domain credentials.

I likely won't get to test this for some time... we rarely reboot our servers mid-day.

B

bodybybody

This is a work around, is there a solution? Windows updates, emergency reboots, monthly reboots etc. all the time at 3, 4 am in the morning.

2 CAS array

F5 LTM load balancer

2500 mailboxes

Thanks

Scott

S

SR_

Are these NLB running in Multicast or Unicast mode?

Multicast the recommended meathod of NLB

-- Saakar "Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S CAS/MBX reboot best practices. Exchange Server Administration 7
S Reboot of frozen windows7 results in changed outlook 2007 settings Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2010 Preface comments disappear after reboot Using Outlook 4
P Stationary and view layout keep changing after reboot? Using Outlook 1
A Outlook.exe 32 process hangs, can't be ended without reboot Using Outlook 1
P Two Member DAG - Reboot Witness Server - Effects? Exchange Server Administration 7
S After reboot pst file is reindexed Using Outlook 8
T Unable to open outlook a second time unless I reboot computer. Running XP and microsoft 2007 Using Outlook 6
A When I log out of Outlook. The icon on the taskbar is greyed out and I am not able to activate/launch Outlook unless I reboot my PC. I have XP and am Using Outlook 2
J VBA code (rules) won't work after reboot Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Why does my Outlook 2003 .Com Add-In disappears after reboot! Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
L Outlook clients did not reconnect to Exchange when one CAS server in CAS array became unresponsive Exchange Server Administration 1
A Exchange 2010 CAS Failover from Internet Facing site to Non-Internet Facing Site - Certificate Issue Exchange Server Administration 3
C Watson Error on CAS Exchange Server Administration 1
S Exchange 2010 CAS/HT/Mailbox moved - best practice/steps for decommissioning 2007 Exchange Server Administration 3
S Load balance Autodiscover with multiple CAS servers. Exchange Server Administration 2
S Load balance Autodiscover with multiple CAS servers. Exchange Server Administration 3
M Fundamental CAS question for Exchange 2010 and 2007 Co-existence... Exchange Server Administration 7
M Exchange ActiveSync HTTP 500 Exchange CAS/HUB 2007 and Exchange 2003 BE & MBX CCR 2007 Using Outlook 1
B CAS Array and NLB Exchange Server Administration 3
S Exchange CAS server OAB directory not showing web.config file Exchange Server Administration 3
T RBAC Error on UM/CAS Servers Exchange Server Administration 2
R FQDN of Exchange CAS servers not in SSL cert Exchange Server Administration 2
D CAS Autodiscover using -rpcclientaccessserver Exchange Server Administration 5
D CAS Design Question Exchange Server Administration 4
D Exchange 2010 CAS at 2 different Sites Exchange Server Administration 2
T Cas server uninstall failed... Now how to reinstall? Exchange Server Administration 4
S Do you need a CAS Server in Order to Use OWA in Exchange 2010 (E14)? Exchange Server Administration 9
D CAS Array Question Exchange Server Administration 11
M Proper way to install Exchange 2010 SP1 on a CAS Array Exchange Server Administration 3
S Any system impact if change exchange 2010 CAS/HUB and Mailbox server IP address Exchange Server Administration 1
B Exchange 2003 OWA/OA/AS over NAT and Exchange 2010 CAS Exchange Server Administration 4
B Re: Exchange 2007 and CAS from Exchange 2010 problem Exchange Server Administration 15
M Re: Exchange 2007 and CAS from Exchange 2010 problem Exchange Server Administration 2
J Segmenting IMAP traffic from CAS Array Exchange Server Administration 8
I Exchange 2007 and CAS from Exchange 2010 problem Exchange Server Administration 4
T ActiveSync proxy problem from Exchange 2010 CAS to Exchange 2007 CAS Exchange Server Administration 5
M CAS Issue: OWA/Outlook remote users cannot login Exchange Server Administration 1
C CAS Proxy problem Exchange Server Administration 5
K Exchange 2010 OWA redirection between 2 CAS Servers Exchange Server Administration 5
S exchange 2010 cas memory usage Exchange Server Administration 2
P Exchange 2010 SP1 Cross Site CAS connection disable Exchange Server Administration 2
R Multiple CAS - Best practice with certificate request Exchange Server Administration 4
B CAS Array and Outlook 2003 clients Exchange Server Administration 5
H Outlook 2007 periodically disconnects from Exchange 2010 CAS - OWA works Using Outlook 4
S CAS array in Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
G Exchange 2010 CAS Array Exchange Server Administration 4
C CAS Connections overview Exchange Server Administration 9
J Geographically redundant cas array Exchange Server Administration 15
D CAS Array Questions Exchange Server Administration 3