OWA - Downloaded attachment changes extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robb at Avanir

(Running Exch 2003 SP2)

User has a .pptx attachment in Inbox message. She can save the file from Outlook to her Desktop without issue. When she l-clicks the attachment in OWA, she's prompted with a "Message from webpage" window instructing her to r-click the link and select Save. When she selects "Save target as" from OWA, she's prompted to save it with a .zip extension.

I can connect to her mailbox via OWA from multiple PCs without issue.

We can work around the problem by changing the extension after the file is downloaded, but would appreciate a fix.

Robb at Avanir

R

Ripu Daman

Hi,

Which version of exchange server u are using. This the same issue is occurring with each attachment for just for .pptx extension only.

Ripu Daman Mina | MCSE 2003 & MCSA Messaging

N

Novak Wu

Hi,

This issue can occur if the *.pptx file does not exist in Internet Message Formats. To troubleshoot the issue, please perform the following steps.

1. In IIS Manager-> Right-click on server name -> Properties -> MIME Types -> New -> Add the new Office 2007 file types (.pptx application/msppt)

2. In ESM -> Global Settings > Internet Message Formats > Properties > General > MIME > Content types > add the Office 2007 file types (application/msppt pptx)

3. In addition to simplify access to new file types we allow generic file types to be able to open directly in OWA. (Remove application/octet-stream from Level2MimeTypes under

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWEB\OWA

Thanks,

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

N

Novak Wu

Hi Robb,

I did not hear from for a long time. How about your question now? Does it persist after performing above suggestions?

Regards,

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

R

Robb at Avanir

It appears the problem is related to her laptop. My colleagues and I are able to download the attachments from her mailbox from any other computer without issue.

Robb at Avanir

N

Novak Wu

Hi,

Since you can download the attachment from her Mailbox without problem, the issue may not be related to Exchange Server side. First, I would like to confirm whether the issue only occurs when logging her Mailbox on her laptop. Does the issue occur on other user Mailbox on other laptop?

If the issue only occurs on her laptop with her Mailbox, I suggest you click Windows Update on her laptop and reload Internet Explorer settings, and then access OWA to download the PPTX file again.

To reset Internet Explorer settings, please refer to the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

However, if the issue also occurs on other Mailbox or the issue persists, please take sometimes to perform the suggestions in my last post.

Hope this helps.

Novak Wu

N

Novak Wu

Hi Robb,

I haven"t here from you for several days. Is everything fine now after performing above suggestions? If there is any question, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Novak Wu

N

Novak Wu

Hi,

First, I would like to confirm which operating system is installed on the problematic machine, Windows XP or Windows 7? Is there any difference between the problematic machine and other machine which can download the attachment normally?

As other machine can download the file successfully, we can conclude that the issue can be caused by client side, such as browser settings or incorrect system settings. Since the issue is more client system related and we have our Windows client Support Professionals who are specialized in client system issues. In order to help you resolve the issue more efficiently, it"s highly recommended to create a new thread in the client system forum. Thank you for your understanding.

Meanwhile, I would like to give you some other suggestions.

1. Start the problematic machine and Login on her mailbox via other browser to check the result.

2. Install the latest Windows updates on the machine.

Hope this helps.

Novak Wu

Status
Not open for further replies.