Distribution lists too big! Cant figure out how to devide into smaller ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

endy007

I have a couple of distribution lists containing way way too many adresses. Now i have figured out its a problem and i have to devide them into smaller ones. Problem is i cant access them, all i can do is send a mail to one of them, then copy paste alle adresses into word/excel or something, then copy paste back a name at a time. This is not really the best solution for me, nor the fastest im sure.

Is there by chance a very very smart way to do this?

G

GordonBP

You've discovered one of the main limitations of D/Ls.

I recommend not to use D/Ls at all but to use Categories instead.

See here on how to do this

If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

E

endy007

You've discovered one of the main limitations of D/Ls.

I recommend not to use D/Ls at all but to use Categories instead.

See here on how to do this

If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

1...2...Late. I already went and used them, now i need a clever way out of the problem. Problem is im trying to find a solution to a problem that has already ocured. Meaning i already use the D/L's and have no options in the matter :( , due to the fact i use them at work and so does everybody else.

And im trying to devide a very important D/L without loosing anything. and without having to copy paste the 400 mail adresses one at a time. I also need this solution because i know of other users who hae the same problem.

G

GordonBP

Then you will have to save the D/L as a text file and open in Excel. Divide it there and re-import the two.

And just because everyone else at work uses D/ls doesn't mean you have to! Be the vanguard of a MUCH better way of doint things!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Either Save as a text file or click Forward, Internet format and open the resulting text file attachment. copy however many rows you want per DL and paste them into a new DL form's Members field.

BTW, why can't you access them?

E

endy007

Then you will have to save the D/L as a text file and open in Excel. Divide it there and re-import the two.

And just because everyone else at work uses D/ls doesn't mean you have to! Be the vanguard of a MUCH better way of doint things!

I would love to be at the vanguard of anything really, atleast when it comes to IT. So now the other penny has to drop. Im curently trying very hard to figure out a problem for a lot of the users at my job, because... well its my job. Im training to become an IT-supporter. I will take the idea about catagories to heart and atleast start explaining it to users from now on. But that still leaves the ones already in trouble. I have tried the devide and import/export solutions but cant get it to work. I can export to txt, no problem, i can import to excel, no problem.. Then i get into trouble.. i'm not sure what to save them as, and how to import back, i get alot of questions i dont really understand the meaning of, and its anoying.

I have tried saving it as *.csv and then when i try to import that file back into outlook it wont allow access, its one of those standard windowd error msg's, telling me that one of 5 things might be wrong with the file. So i try to eliminate the posible errors but still no luck.

Its something to do with initializing translation of the csv. file.. Then it reads as the file might be open or i might not have rights to open the file.. But i made the nasty little thing. :)

Anyway, thats about as far as i get.. each time i try.

E

endy007

Either Save as a text file or click Forward, Internet format and open the resulting text file attachment. copy however many rows you want per DL and paste them into a new DL form's Members field.

BTW, why can't you access them?

I have now tried the forward option.. and im sorry to report that didnt work either, atleast not here at my first try. When i try to forward it, im told i dont have enough memory to do it and to contact the it-dpt. But i am the IT-dpt, atleast the newest trainee in it. then i tried making copy past from another txt version of the file i made, but im not allowed to paste more than a single mail adress at a time to the new member option.

Any ideas what im doing wrong or what i need to fix it. Ill try to get more mem alocated to me later today to try it that way, but im not sure that will sort out the problem, but ill give it a go anyway.

E

endy007

OK guys, now it becomes silly.

I have found a solution to my problem, but i dont like it.

The solution is making the txt file of the list, then devide that into smaller packs of recievers, then saving into 3 separate txt files, then mail said files to another user who is using office 2010. Then do a copy/paste into new member area as i have been adviced earlyer in this thread. Then save new D/L's from the files and resend back to me.

Workable solution, but really not optimal, since i have maybe 25 users with large D/L's and i dont have 2010 on my own setup.

So i really still need a workable office 2007 solution

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The solution is making the txt file of the list, then devide that into smaller packs of recievers, then saving into 3 separate txt files, then mail said files to another user who is using office 2010. Then do a copy/paste into new member area as i have been adviced earlyer in this thread. Then save new D/L's from the files and resend back to me.

why are you sending it to someone to make and send back? What happens if you try to make the DL yourself using the text files?

The video here: http://www.slipstick.com/tutorials/create/dl.asp shows how to do it in Outlook 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Distribution lists Using Outlook 1
M Question about nested distribution lists Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Are categories still recommended for creating local distribution lists? Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky Using Categories for Dynamic Distribution Lists New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Find the Distribution Lists a Contact Belongs to New Slipstick.com Articles 0
T Missing sub-contact folders (distribution lists) Using Outlook 3
M Nested distribution lists: how to count UNIQUE # of people... Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
C Office 2007 Distribution Lists Using Outlook 1
A Why doesn't distribution lists update automatically Using Outlook 3
K outlook 2007 Export/Import Distribution lists Using Outlook 1
N Personal Distribution Lists Using Outlook 0
T outlook 2010 'not enough memory avaliable to perform the operation' with distribution lists Using Outlook 0
T outlok 2010 'not enough memory avaliable to perform the operation' with distribution lists. Using Outlook 3
8 Distribution Lists Using Outlook 1
T Configuring Distribution Lists in Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
D Users migrated from exchange 2003 cannot manage Distribution lists from Outlook Exchange Server Administration 7
K Issue with Distribution Lists in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
T Distribution Lists, Selecting members, filtering members out of the selection process (not one by one) Using Outlook 2
D Export Distribution Lists or Groups from Contacts Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2010 Client - "unable to connect to retrieve additional data" for some Distribution lists Exchange Server Administration 7
J Audit distribution lists changed via OWA Exchange Server Administration 4
M Distribution lists not working, outlook will not open properly and email stuck in outbox. Using Outlook 3
B Owners cannot update distribution lists or groups after Exchange 2010 migration Exchange Server Administration 2
D extra names showing up in distribution lists Using Outlook 2
A Nested distribution lists in shared folders don't work? Using Outlook 3
T Customizing Fields in Distribution Lists Using Outlook 1
I email distribution lists, hiding all the email addresses in it Using Outlook 2
B Managing Distribution lists from AD users and computers in Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
P How to delete inidividuals from distribution lists when using OWA? Using Outlook 1
S Increase the size of distribution lists in OWA? Using Outlook 2
Z Outllook 07 Distribution Lists show up as different distribution list Using Outlook 1
L How do you remove duplicate contacts when sending an email to multiple distribution lists? Using Outlook 2
A Combine distribution lists in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
P regarding distribution lists Using Outlook 2
S Distribution Lists for Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
J Rights to modify all distribution lists Exchange Server Administration 3
S Meeting invites to distribution lists going into calendars with wrong duration Using Outlook 1
L Exporting distribution lists to excel Using Outlook 1
A Do unlimited distribution lists created in Outlook 2007 SP2 work in OWA 2003? Exchange Server Administration 3
A How can I see which personal distribution lists a contact is a member of? Using Outlook 3
T In Outlook Contacts - I am only seeing my distribution lists. Using Outlook 2
J Fixing the Exchange aliases on public folders, distribution lists, and for mailboxes Exchange Server Administration 1
P Distribution lists stopped working Using Outlook 2
J Managed by property for Distribution Lists Exchange Server Administration 3
P Editing Multiple Distribution Lists Simultaneously? Using Outlook 3
R How do I expand all distribution lists in the To: section? Using Outlook 4
J Counting addresses in distribution lists Using Outlook 4
R Adding members to outlook distribution lists Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
E Using rules with personal distribution lists Using Outlook 5
A Distribution Lists in Business Contact Manager BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1