Configure SSL to use a non standard port (not 443)

• Thread starter Greg Zavitski
  • Start date Views 705
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg Zavitski

Hi Folks. I have a unique situation with one of my clients. We were tasked to install a new server with micorosoft exchange. We installed server 2008 x64 with Exchange 2010. One of the wish list features the customer would like to use is Outlook Anywhere/Outlook Web Access. Heres the kicker:

The cusomer has a sonicwall ssl vpn appliance that uses port 443. We would like to change the port that exchange/iis listens on for ssl from port 443 to 1443. We do have OWA working through the vpn. Customer would like Outlook Anywhere/Outlook Web access without having to connect VPN.

Anyone have any experience or a guide to changing the ssl listening port for Exchange 2010 when ssl 443 cannot be used.

To date I have edited the default website in IIS and changed the https port to 1443, changed the server client access urls for both the outlook web access and the exchange contol panel. Windows firewall is disabled so no port changes. Opened port 1443 on the router. No success.

Thoughts or help would be appreciated.

S

shadowman123

As far as I know, SSL can only listen on port 443. Certifications: MCSA 2003|MCSE 2003|MCTS| MCTIP:SA

G

Greg Zavitski

Can be done on all previous version of exchange (2007 - 5.5). Wondering if anyone has had success with 2010 since the CAS changes were implemented?

S

shadowman123

You can try to do it this way. But I think in Exchange 2010, port 443 is hard-coded in Outlook Web App and Outlook Anywhere. It's not documented anywhere on the Exchange 2010 Technet, so maybe after you do this your enviroment is also not supported anymore.

1. Open the IIS 7 manager.
2. Select the website under Connections (in the left hand side).
3. Click on Bindings under the Actions pane (in the right hand side).
4. Now, click on Add.
5. Select the type as https and enter the Port – default will be 443.
6. You cannot click on the OK button till you select the SSL certificate for the site.
7. If you haven"t installed any server certificate, you won"t see any certificate listed in the drop down box. To get a server certificate, please follow the above steps under “Getting a Web Server certificate”.
8. Select the certificate and click on OK.

I hope this was helpful for you.
Certifications: MCSA 2003|MCSE 2003|MCTS| MCTIP:SA

Status
Not open for further replies.