Outlook changes font size

Status
Not open for further replies.

indy

I have an annoying problem that I cannot figure out.

My Outlook 2007 company email is set up to use Calibri 11 as the default font/size for new messages. But when I send it to another person outside the company, it shows up as Calibri 10 in their mail program.

And when their reply gets back to me, my original email is in size 10.

But if we continue the mail exchange all my future messages show up in size 11 - it's only the original message that is displayed in size 10!

Guess I'm not the only one who has encountered this problem. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks

indy

When looking under Tools -> Options, I have the following settings.

Compose in this message format: Rich Text

When sending Outlook Rich Text messages to Internet recipients, use this format: Convert to HTML format

Not sure if that answers the question?!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You are composing in RTF and when outlook sends it to addresses outside the local network, it converts it to HTML and remains HTML. I'm not sure where the size change is introduced or why, but my guess is that its related to how HTML sizes fonts as small, x-small or by %, not by pt. The conversion from RTF to HTML sets it in the 10 pt equivalent and then the user defaults take effect for replies.

Do you need to use RTF internally? If not, set the compose format to HTML and see if it font sizes stick.

indy

I tried to send it as HTML to myself, and the font size stuck (i.e. it was not re-sized)!

What also puzzles me is why this only happens on the original email I send, but not on any further forwards/replies?

Forum Admin

Have you looked at the message source? That will show you if the font is hard coded or uses small, x-small tags.

What font size do you have set for HTML? Does the other person also use Outlook 2007?

indy

How do I see the message source?

Did some more tests. If I change the message to HTML format and send it, the format size sticks (is not re-sized) when the message is received. But if the other person replies, then the entire message is changed to whatever their default font is (guess there is no way around that...).

On the other hand, if I use Rich Text and use the option to convert to HTML for Internet recipients, then the size changes already when the message is received.

This is also true when the other person uses Outlook 2007.

indy

I think the best thing to do here is to switch to HTML format when creating new messages. That seems to work the best and at least the other person gets the email displayed correctly.

Thanks for the help on this thread - much appreciated!

(or do you have any other suggestion that would be even better?)

Cheers

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
How do I see the message source?

You can usually see it if you right click on the message body and choose View Souce - the View menu might also have a view source command.

But... using HTML by default is generally better than letting outlook convert RTF to HTML on send. If you use any elements (tables etc), you'll see exactly how it will look when you use HTML, while conversion isn't always exact.

However, keep in mind that email (and html) is an imperfect medium - every email client renders mail slightly differently. If you can read (and understand!) the message, don't worry so much about the format or text size. As long as each reply section is consistant, don't waste time worrying about it.

If it looks like something out of a ransom note with different sizes and fonts within a sentance or paragraph, then you worry. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.