Not open for further replies.

icacream

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hello,

Using Outlook 2007 with Win7.

I just noticed that the gif animations do not work in the emails. Is there a way to get them to perform ?

Also, when I right click an image or amination which has been inserted in an email I receive, I'm used to the drop down list offering "save image as"... that was so in Outlook Express... but I do not get it in Outlook...

Are there some settings I can alter to fix this as I wish ?

:confused:

catherized

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
Animated gif: that is normal behavior. You need to use View in Browser command to see the animation.

Outlook should offer save as, but it will often save as BMP, not GIF. You can use View in Browser then save the image.

No, there is nothing you can change to control this.

icacream

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Thank you...

I can't seem to find the View in Browser command.

Could you tell me where to find it... and I'm pretty sure that when you tell me I shall be deeply ashamed of myself for having asked :rolleyes:

Any special reason for this behavior of Outlook with gifs ?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The reason has to do with Word and security. Outlook uses Word for rendering HTML and it doesn't use ani gifs due to security considerations. Or so that's the excuse. I suspect it has as much to do with there is no need for ani gifs in printed docs so Word has never supported them.

The command is on Other Actions button:

icacream

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hmmm... Ok, it was not so easy to find... :eek:

Thank you :)

And you are right, "save picture as" is offered when viewed in the browser but saving it turns gif into bmp....

This is strange as Outlook Express was handling animations quite differently.

Now I wonder whether it would be possible to add the "View in Browser" command to my standard toolbar (that's the only one I am using) so that I do not first have to open the mail... and so far I have not been successful... but it's Monday morning and all that !! :rolleyes:

Your help is really precious, thanks again and have a lovely day !

catherized

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
As far as i know, not you can't add the button to the toolbar. You need to open the message to access that command and in Outlook 2007, the message form ribbon is not customizable.

BMP may be because the TIF folder is full. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810978 Step 2 shopuld fix it. More info: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/54.html

To save them from Outlook forward the message ot yourself - this should convert the embedded image to a visible attachment, which is easily saved.

icacream

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
:D This works !

Thank you, I normally clean my temporary folder reasonably often and did not believe it would make a difference... but it does !

Still, I wish Outlook would make this easier... I would already have given up on using it but for the precious help I get here !

So lucky I found this forum :D

I'm getting "server error" quite often when I come here, is it just me ? (Internal Error 500)

Status
Not open for further replies.