email addresses lost when importing contact files

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robertevans

I am trying to import my contacts information from Outlook 2003 (OS was XP) to Outlook 2010 (OS is Windows 7). I believe I followed the directions correctly -- create a CSV (microsoft) file in Excel and import to contacts in 2010. All the contacts imported but there were ZERO email addresses. The addresses are in the Excel file they just won't import. Also I do not find the categories in the Excel file but a very few of them (2%?) show up in the new 2010 addesss book. Can anyone here help? Thank you.

G

GordonBP

I am trying to import my contacts information from Outlook 2003 (OS was XP) to Outlook 2010 (OS is Windows 7). I believe I followed the directions correctly -- create a CSV (microsoft) file in Excel and import to contacts in 2010.

What "directions"? No instructions I have ever seen tell you to follow that method. That's NEVER the correct way to transfer Outlook data from one Outlook to another. Why would you do that?

The addresses are in the Excel file they just won't import. Also I do not find the categories in the Excel file but a very few of them (2%?) show up in the new 2010 addesss book. Can anyone here help? Thank you.

Because you used the WRONG method.

All you needed to do was to copy the pst file from your XP machine to the Windows 7, open it in Outlook and copy the contacts across to your new pst file.

Do you still have access to the old pst file?

R

robertevans

I do still have access to the old machine so I guess I have access to the pst files if I can find them but I thought pst files were for email messages? I am trying to move over the email addresses in the contacts file (address book). Thank you for your help.

G

GordonBP

I do still have access to the old machine so I guess I have access to the pst files if I can find them but I thought pst files were for email messages? I am trying to move over the email addresses in the contacts file (address book). Thank you for your help.

pst files contain ALL your Outlook data. Emails, Contacts, Tasks, Calendar and Journal if you use it.

I suggest you delete all the contacts you have imported, and do what I suggested - copy the old pst file to your Documents folder, then in Outlook do File-Open-Outlook Data File and open it. Then copy all the contact information from the old pst file to the new contact folder.

You can do the same for email or leave the old pst file open in Outlook as an archive...

R

robertevans

When I attempt to paste the pst file in My Documents I get the message "cannot copy outlook: the process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file". If I try the "send to" option I get the same message followed by "The target cannot handle this type of document". This is true whether I try to send to My Documents or to the thumb drive.

I was able to copy the contacts information by opening contacts, using "Ctrl A" to select, "Ctrl C" to copy and "Ctrl V" to paste to my thumb drive. But when I paste into the contact folder in 2010 I get one new contact with all my contact information in the notes section of that contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S converted ost to pst but lost all email addresses Using Outlook 2
T Outlook 2010 lost all eMail addresses from contacts Exchange Server Administration 4
B Extracting email addresses from a folder - how to also get the name of the person the address is for? Using Outlook 5
T How can we view Blocked email addresses Using Outlook 6
A Move email items based on a list of email addresses Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 40
W Create Search Folder excluding Specific Email Addresses Using Outlook 5
M possible to search Outlook for multiple email addresses at once? Using Outlook 1
B Email Addresses Using Outlook 1
cimbian Harvesting email addresses from mail folders Using Outlook 1
A Sending Emails Through Outlook From Multiple Email Addresses Using Outlook 1
Caio "From" field doesn't show extra email addresses in Outlook 2016. Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
N Combined emails on 2 iphones from different email addresses Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Add Email Addresses to a Contact Group New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Replace Display Names with Email Addresses New Slipstick.com Articles 0
L Outlook 2007 Delete Email Addresses Using Outlook 19
Z Outlook 2007, clicking email addresses fails to open Contact Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Send email to all addresses for one Contact New Slipstick.com Articles 0
P Is it possible to write a macro to email to all addresses of selected contacts? Using Outlook 1
J Is there a way to disallow sending from certain addresses to specific email addresses? Using Outlook 2
B Automatic picture download and changing email addresses Using Outlook 3
makinmyway How can I easily identify and delete from my contacts defunct email addresses? Using Outlook 2
P How to delete email addresses from auto-complete list? Using Outlook 2
A BCM import email addresses BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
M rule to change subject, pull email addresses from body, and forward with templ Using Outlook 14
J Mass find & delete email addresses from address book. Using Outlook 3
K Rule doesn't work with both exchange and POP3 email addresses Using Outlook 2
K Change default "Display As" for contact email addresses Using Outlook 1
P Addin / macro / rule to highlight email addresses outside company in To: field Using Outlook 3
M Can't send email to certain valid email addresses, message says Using Outlook 1
A Copying cc email addresses to Excel - does not copy the <joe.bloggs@isp.com> Using Outlook 1
R user with dual addresses but only 1 email displayed Using Outlook 2
J adding email addresses Using Outlook 1
R Can not send a newsletter to a group. Does not appear Outlook 2007 is recognizing the email addresses. Using Outlook 2
Y Capturing Email Addresses in Auto Address Book Using Outlook 1
T How do I set up a new contact folder to save email addresses for distribution list? Using Outlook 2
B How to remove underline from email addresses in outlook 2007 and Autotext also missing Using Outlook 2
M More email addresses in contacts Using Outlook 1
M I have 150 emails in one email folder folder that I need to send a uniform reply to .These addresses are not in my contacts Using Outlook 1
G Multiple email addresses (Outlook 2002). All emails (both addresses) go into the one inbox. How do i Using Outlook 3
L Blind email addresses show up when a message is forwarded Using Outlook 1
J Outlook Auto Suggest Email Addresses Using Outlook 2
I Outlook 2002 - Out of memory & system resources. Also not recognising typed in email addresses. Using Outlook 3
K Email sends with no error, but no action on the SMTP server done, only authentization - for some of the outgoing addresses. Using Outlook 1
M Need to take names and email addresses from excel 2003 and put into outlook to email. Using Outlook 4
T Loss of email addresses and all emails rec'd and sent for months. Using Outlook 2
G Old email addresses in global address list Using Outlook 4
N How to do Email Addresses->Contacts->Contact Groups->Folders Using Outlook 5
G Deleting bounced back bad destination email addresses from Outlook's Contact Using Outlook 1
J How to switch between two email addresses when sending emails? Using Outlook 3
J Text of email is only email addresses Using Outlook 2