email addresses lost when importing contact files

• Thread starter robertevans
  • Start date Views 647
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robertevans

I am trying to import my contacts information from Outlook 2003 (OS was XP) to Outlook 2010 (OS is Windows 7). I believe I followed the directions correctly -- create a CSV (microsoft) file in Excel and import to contacts in 2010. All the contacts imported but there were ZERO email addresses. The addresses are in the Excel file they just won't import. Also I do not find the categories in the Excel file but a very few of them (2%?) show up in the new 2010 addesss book. Can anyone here help? Thank you.

G

GordonBP

I am trying to import my contacts information from Outlook 2003 (OS was XP) to Outlook 2010 (OS is Windows 7). I believe I followed the directions correctly -- create a CSV (microsoft) file in Excel and import to contacts in 2010.

What "directions"? No instructions I have ever seen tell you to follow that method. That's NEVER the correct way to transfer Outlook data from one Outlook to another. Why would you do that?

The addresses are in the Excel file they just won't import. Also I do not find the categories in the Excel file but a very few of them (2%?) show up in the new 2010 addesss book. Can anyone here help? Thank you.

Because you used the WRONG method.

All you needed to do was to copy the pst file from your XP machine to the Windows 7, open it in Outlook and copy the contacts across to your new pst file.

Do you still have access to the old pst file?

R

robertevans

I do still have access to the old machine so I guess I have access to the pst files if I can find them but I thought pst files were for email messages? I am trying to move over the email addresses in the contacts file (address book). Thank you for your help.

G

GordonBP

I do still have access to the old machine so I guess I have access to the pst files if I can find them but I thought pst files were for email messages? I am trying to move over the email addresses in the contacts file (address book). Thank you for your help.

pst files contain ALL your Outlook data. Emails, Contacts, Tasks, Calendar and Journal if you use it.

I suggest you delete all the contacts you have imported, and do what I suggested - copy the old pst file to your Documents folder, then in Outlook do File-Open-Outlook Data File and open it. Then copy all the contact information from the old pst file to the new contact folder.

You can do the same for email or leave the old pst file open in Outlook as an archive...

R

robertevans

When I attempt to paste the pst file in My Documents I get the message "cannot copy outlook: the process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file". If I try the "send to" option I get the same message followed by "The target cannot handle this type of document". This is true whether I try to send to My Documents or to the thumb drive.

I was able to copy the contacts information by opening contacts, using "Ctrl A" to select, "Ctrl C" to copy and "Ctrl V" to paste to my thumb drive. But when I paste into the contact folder in 2010 I get one new contact with all my contact information in the notes section of that contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.