Quick Question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Humber

How long can an Exchange 2010 Hub Transport run with out the Active Directory? Assuming that it only needs to forward messages to a smart host.

The scenario is one in which no DC's are available for the HT server to communicate with so alerts are generated from SCOM to send email to external addresses through the HT.

Thanks,

Dave

B

busbar

the AD topology checks for DCs every 15 min, however the HUB server can perform since information is cached, it will require contacting AD only when sending or receiving and requiring retrieving new information from AD.Regards, Mahmoud Magdy Watch Arabic Level 300 Videos about Exchange 2010 here: http://vimeo.com/user3271816 Read pretty advanced Exchange stuff I post here: http://www.enowconsulting.com/ese/blog.asp, follow my blog: http://autodiscover.wordpress.com , corp blog: http://ingazat.wordpress.com and if you Liked my post please mark it as helpful and accept it as an answer

D

David Humber

Does the cache have a TTL so that it would expire at some point forcing the HT to make a request and thus queue external email? I understand the topology check every 15 minutes, and if the HT does not get a response it would continue to use its current cache, but does the cache have a finite shelf life in the server?

Thanks,

B

Brian Day MCITP

In what situation would you have all DCs go down? Email might be the last concern at that point. :)

D

David Humber

Say it's the worst case scenario, link is down between AD sites and you've lost your local DC's in a SAN failure or SAN fabric failures. My client does not want to rule out any possiblity.

They just want to be paged in the event of such a failure via email from SCOM

B

Brian Day MCITP

Then don't put the DCs on the SAN. :) I kid I kid! Seriously though... if they are truly worried about that then they should design out any single points of failure in the SAN itself becasue if the DC goes down lots more than Exchange will be unhappy.

D

David Humber

I agree!

They want to count every possibility though. Even with eliminating all single points of failure they still want to know what happens with a multiple point failure. I suspect that the 15 minutes before the HT's cache is exhausted is enough, because as you said after that you have a lot bigger problems with no DCs!

Thanks,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CWM030 A quick question for Diane about Exchange Exchange Server Administration 2
adaminaus Quick question if i may Using Outlook 4
S Quick question on deletion settings Exchange Server Administration 7
J Quick question Exchange Server Administration 2
S How to set up button in ribbon for individual Quick Steps Using Outlook 1
V Change default default save location to Quick Access Using Outlook 1
R Quick Access view in File Explorer when saving attachments Using Outlook 0
M font format discrepancies with Quick Parts Using Outlook 1
R Categorize Button in Quick Access Toolbar Disappears on New Email Using Outlook 1
R VBA Script Quick Parts Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Synchronize Quick Access Toolbar and Ribbons? New Slipstick.com Articles 0
C Quick Parts signatures suddenly require more letters Using Outlook 2
S Save in folder other than Sent when replying with Quick Steps Using Outlook 5
R Missing Quick Steps and Rules Using Outlook 0
A Quick Steps in Tasks view Using Outlook 7
J quick quesiton about outlook search Using Outlook 3
iwshim Skype tool bar in quick access ribon Using Outlook 1
B How can I adjust the ribbon width? I want to see all of my Quick Steps. Using Outlook 1
S Have Rule or Quick Step PROMPT for custom FLAG Due/Reminder date Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L Quick step to fill custom field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Push Quick Parts to All Users Using Outlook 1
R click to toggle quick click category reasigns to where ? Using Outlook 2
C Further automate several tasks with rule, VBA or Quick Step Using Outlook 1
L Outlook Data Files command not working in the quick access bar Using Outlook 1
S New Quick Step based on Team email QS - automatically update too Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2010 Quick Print Attachment, nothing happend Using Outlook 0
B quick help with "changed by" field in a shared mailbox?? Using Outlook 3
A Recommend add-on or utility enabling quick Google search within Outlook Using Outlook 7
J Outlook 2010 using Quick Print to print attachments Using Outlook 1
M How can I customize the Follow Up Flag message in Quick Steps? Using Outlook 1
P Outlook closes down after clicking on the quick print icon. Using Outlook 3
S Outlook Quick Steps - Exchange 2003 / Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
S Quick Search will not work due to itemizing Using Outlook 1
D Quick Parts - font changes Using Outlook 6
D Quick Parts - font changes Using Outlook 0
S Inserting Dates With Quick Parts (or Macros) Using Outlook 4
S Quick Parts - Changing Display and Order Using Outlook 0
E Blank Print Preview when access via the Quick Access toolbar Using Outlook 3
D How do I get a new mail icon into my quick launch bar? Using Outlook 3
K Quick Print shows wrong date on Occurrences Using Outlook 1
M Quick Parts text disappears Using Outlook 1
J Quick Exchange 2010 install ? Exchange Server Administration 2
R Outlook 2010 Quick Steps - Mark as Read Action and New Mail Notification Using Outlook 1
M Quick steps: feature request: 'direct replies to' when forwarding Using Outlook 1
T Quick start mass e-mail Using Outlook 1
R Quick Tasks - Finish/Save Button Does not Work Using Outlook 8
R sending mail from applications like quick books Using Outlook 1
R Outlook Calendar - Directly typing in to quick-create reservations often get cut off. Buggy. Using Outlook 1
H getting a quick view of contact groups? Using Outlook 4
G Office 2010 Quick Contacts option not available in To-Do Bar Using Outlook 1