Very slow response in connecting Outlook with Exchange 2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HYHO

Hi all,

I'm serving some users in my office. They are using Outlook 2003 (cache mode) connecting to Exchange 2003 server. Some users reported that Outlook always fails to connect with Exchange and/or response very slow. After troubleshooting, I noted that the Outlook always connects to some distinct DCs (outside users' own domain) for "Directory".

At the "Exchange Server Connection Status" (invoked by pressing "CTR" + "Outlook icon" at system tray), press "Reconnect" button by searching for other DCs may solve the problem for a period of time.

May I know is there anyway to designate which DCs Outlook will connect manually?

Thank you for your attention.

S

Sembee [MVP]

Outlook will connect to the first domain controller that responds. If a remote DC is the first one to respond then you need to look at your design of the AD. Do you have Sites and Services configured correctly? Is Exchange installed on a domain controller anywhere? Both of those can affect the operation of the DC. Forcing Outlook to use a specific domain controller is a bit of band-aid and doesn't resolve the underlying problem of the domain.

Simon.

H

HYHO

Our AD have single root domain and multiple child domains. In the forest, there is only one site. Our corperate network has a Class B nework. The whole Class B is assigned to the AD site.

In network view, the whole Class B is divided into serveral Class C sub-networks. The DCs of different child domain are asigned to different class C subnet. All the subnets are connected by fast 'backbone' network.

The users experienced the slow response are on the same subnet as the Exchange server. The location is not as the same network as the Exchange server, but it is on the same VLAN.

The Exchange is a member server, which is in the same subnet of the DCs of the domain. On more point, there may be firewall in certian subnets.

May I know how Outlook determine which DC/GC to connect? If there is firwall between the Outlook client and the remote DC, will Outlook connect to it?

Thanks,

S

Sembee [MVP]

Outlook connects to the first domain controller that responds, although this is also often driven by the DC that Exchange is using.

Given your topology, I would probably be recommending to split the forest up in to sites, so that you can manage which domain controllers are being used. The fact that a fast backbone is in use is neither here-nor-there, there are some design considerations which allow the clients to work more efficently.

If there is a firewall between the client and the DC, then it depends if the firewall allows the traffic to out. If the DC can see the client and respond to its request, then a firewall may well be stopping the traffic from connecting correctly.

Is the domain controller these Outlook clients are connecting to the same DC that Exchange is using?

Simon.

Status
Not open for further replies.