Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HeatonJL

I have setup, in a lab, an Exchange organization. I have:

2 DCs

2 HT/CAS servers

2 Mailbox servers

We have this setup in VMWare ESXi 4.0 with two hosts, each with one of each type of server. I have setup a CAS array, following all guidelines, using WNLB for the nlb cluster. From the HT/CAS servers, if I go into IE and type in the FQDN, it works. If I try from any other box in the organization, including a client machine we threw up, it doesn't work. From those boxes, I get a Destination host unreachable, trying to ping either the FQDN of the CAS array, or the nlb cluster IP address.

Anyone have an idea why this is happening?

T

TWHarrington

Windows Firewall or AV client enabled on server? If so, disable and try again.

B

Brian Day MCITP

Is NLB running in Multicast or Unicast mode?

You may have to add a static ARP entry to the ARP table of the nearest Router or Layer-3 switch containing the MAC address of the VIP. This is most likely not an Exchange problem.

Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
My posts are provided "AS IS" with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.

H

HeatonJL

On the HT/CAS servers, the Public profile of the Windows Firewall was on. Turned it off, with no change. No AV running on any of these machines, as it is a completely secluded area, just for this testing process.

One note:

If I go to the IP address of either of the node servers in the NLB cluster/CAS array, I get to OWA no problem. But if I go to the FQDN of the array, or the IP of the array, I get nothing.

H

HeatonJL

Multicast. I read somewhere that if we're working with VMWare, we needed to stay with multicast. I'll pass on the ARP suggestion.

M

Muhammad Atif Rafat

Dear Heaton,

By default IP forwarding is disable in windows server 2008 so enable it from registery and hopefully your problem will be resolved.

If your problem is not resolved after enabling IP forwarding then you are using teaming of lancards of HUB/CAS server? if yes remove the teaming and change your mode to unicast.

To enable forwarding on both HUB/CAS server

go to regedit>HKLM>system>currentcontrolset>services>tcpip>parameter

edit IPenablerouter and make the value 1 from 0 and reboot both HUB and CAS servers.

Thanks & Regards,

Muhammad Atif Rafat

M

Muhammad Atif Rafat

J

Justin.King

Are you sure you are following " all of the guidelines" ? ;)

I half jest, but the reality is the " best practices" of using WNLB change when you are running ontop of vmware ESX because the v-swtiches do RARP packet transmission.

VMware actually recommends a multicast setup which is in contrast to most MS articles I read that go wit ha unicast model.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/techresources/1072

Read that doc and depending on the model you're using you may need to change your vswitch behavior or possibly even change models.

H

HeatonJL

I think I figured out what the problem was:

On these HT/CAS servers, we have 2 NICs on each box. I had configured one NIC each to be the Network traffic, and one NIC to be the CAS array traffic. So, in the NLB cluster, I was using the CAS NICs. Only issue with this is that those NICs are currently connected with a crossover cable.

In troubleshooting, I deleted the hosts from the NLB cluster one at a time, and reentered them, using the Network NIC. Everything started working again. I'm able to connect to OWA from any machine in the lab.

Our next step is to run cables from the CAS NICs to the physical switch, and put the NLB cluster back to using the CAS NICs, and see what happens. I think it will work just fine.

Thanks for all the input and help.

H

HeatonJL

Yes, I did see a note somewhere during setup that because I'm in a VM environment, I need to use multicast. That's how I've got it setup.

That doc also states, as long as I'm using multicast mode, there is no special config needed.

Thanks for the doc though, as it will help if we decide to change to unicast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R accessing owa externally and having a cas array internally Exchange Server Administration 9
R cas array owa is slow Exchange Server Administration 5
L Outlook clients did not reconnect to Exchange when one CAS server in CAS array became unresponsive Exchange Server Administration 1
B CAS Array and NLB Exchange Server Administration 3
D CAS Array Question Exchange Server Administration 11
M Proper way to install Exchange 2010 SP1 on a CAS Array Exchange Server Administration 3
J Segmenting IMAP traffic from CAS Array Exchange Server Administration 8
B CAS Array and Outlook 2003 clients Exchange Server Administration 5
S CAS array in Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
G Exchange 2010 CAS Array Exchange Server Administration 4
J Geographically redundant cas array Exchange Server Administration 15
D CAS Array Questions Exchange Server Administration 3
T Exchange 2010 CAS Array setup and lab Exchange Server Administration 18
S NLB exchange 2010 CAS Array Exchange Server Administration 4
S Access CAS Array Behind ISA 2006 Exchange Server Administration 6
C Introduce another CAS/HT server on the cas array on NLB Exchange Server Administration 7
P DNS Round Robin on CAS Array Exchange Server Administration 5
B After rebooting one of the cas array servers blackbarry stops working Exchange Server Administration 1
B cas array exchnage 2010 not working properly on vm Exchange Server Administration 5
S One CAS Array for mulitple site Exchange Server Administration 2
S CAS Array - NLB - Can't Ping VIP Exchange Server Administration 4
K CAS array SSL cert -RPC cas certificate warning Exchange Server Administration 3
S What to Use Instead a Hardware-based Load Balancer for an Exchange 2010 CAS Array Exchange Server Administration 21
S Created CAS Array - Outlook certificate error Exchange Server Administration 2
S Exchange 2010 two datacenters two CAS array Exchange Server Administration 4
B Do we need to create a CAS Array for a single server site? Exchange Server Administration 3
M CAS Array Exchange Server Administration 6
J Autodiscover not issuing CAS array to Outlook Clients Exchange Server Administration 2
R Installing SP1 on Hub/CAS servers in CAS Array Exchange Server Administration 9
R CAS array not working with Outlook Exchange Server Administration 15
B CAS Array article...? Exchange Server Administration 2
C Cas array question Exchange Server Administration 12
T Rename CAS array Exchange Server Administration 4
S CAS array legacy URL Exchange Server Administration 9
S CAS array in exchange 2003 and exchange 2010 coexsit environment Exchange Server Administration 4
S Looking for feedback on this CAS Array testing plan Exchange Server Administration 2
C CAS Array and Outlook Exchange Server Administration 3
C How to assign certificate(s) to an CAS array? Exchange Server Administration 1
C how should i assign an SSL certificate to a CAS array? Exchange Server Administration 2
Z Active SynC Issue in Exchange 2010 on CAS Array Exchange Server Administration 4
T CAS Array/RPCClientAccessServer and Outlook profile experiences Exchange Server Administration 8
W CAS Array and Autodiscover for Internal and external access Exchange Server Administration 25
C cas array and mapi Exchange Server Administration 1
A NLB, CAS array or OTHER issue? Exchange Server Administration 24
C Reboot a CAS array member causes Outlook 2010 clients to prompt for credentials. Using Outlook 5
L Cas Array failing when assigning using -rpcclientaccessserver Exchange Server Administration 3
C CAS Array : Outlook 2007 profile update Exchange Server Administration 2
R CAS Array Failover Issue Exchange Server Administration 17
K Outlook client on Exchange 2010 changes cas array name to instance-<guid> Using Outlook 21
A How to delete server members from cas array Exchange Server Administration 6