OWA 2010 SP1 Search problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keith_DPS_EXAdmin

Greetings! Curious if anyone else is finding issues liek this with OWA after the update to SP1;

We have a diverse client base of Window XP, Visa, Win7 and Mac OS-X machines (school district), running various versions of IE and Firefox to access OWA.

Prior to the SP1 update all users were able to use the search function in OWA, however after SP1 we are left with Firefox users who are unable to perfrom searches, they receive the following error;

" The action could not be completed"

Running the same search in IE works fine. The firefox versions range from 3.5.11 up.

S

Steve Goodman

Hiya,

I hadn't heard of it as a known issue? Pre-release there was a lot of testing with Firefox from various customers; we have many users on all those platforms, plus various flavours of Linux using OWA premium w/ Firefox; In fact I've just searched my mail from Firefox to find mention of any related issue - so there may be a solution.

First questions - Does this occur on any other browser? E.g. Chrome, Safari on Mac? Does it happen with every copy of Firefox, or just some? Does it occur with the latest Firefox update 3.6.9?

Steve

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

K

Keith_DPS_EXAdmin

Shafaquat,

Thank you for the follow up. I didn't find anything in the posting that specifically related to firefox. Can you direct me to the known issue?

K

Keith_DPS_EXAdmin

Hi Steve,

No, at this point it only occurs on Firefox 3.5.11 and above, mainly on Mac's but occasionally on windows. I have one user who has reported the issue on IE 7, but I have not confrimed that yet.

It does not happen with every version of firefox, but it does seem to be a problem that specific users can reproduce each time. I have seen a user reproduce it on 3.5.11, update to 3.6.9 and get the same result.

Thanks for the follow up!

Keith

S

Steve Goodman

Hi Keith,

I would like to repro if possible. Can we rule out a few things though?

1) If you pick a user who has this issue, find the mailbox database they are on, does the Test-MailboxDatabase -MailboxDatabase <DB> command show any error?

2) Is there anything in the event logs on the CAS or Mailbox servers that the user would be located on/access through at the time of the search?

3) Does your EWS internal/external URL's have the same FQDN (e.g. mail.contoso.com) as your OWA URLs (if not, should they?):

Get-WebServicesVirtualDirectory *|fl Server,ExternalURL,InternalURL
Get-OWAVirtualDirectory *|fl Server,ExternalURL,InternalURL

4) Does the issue follow the user(s) around whatever computer they use firefox on, or is it specific computers running firefox?

5) Is there any difference in the firefox extensions between users who this works for and doesn't work for?

Steve

Steve Goodman

K

Keith_DPS_EXAdmin

Thanks Steve,

I am having our support team reach out to the clients to gather this info and will post back what we find.

Great blog by the way!

Keith

J

jasonev

We have the same issue since applying 2010 SP1, except our problem does occur with IE 7 and 8. Have not found a resolution.

S

Steve Goodman

What does Test-MailboxDatabase -MailboxDatabase <DB> show, if you try against a DB a user who cannot search is on?

Steve

Steve Goodman

J

jasonev

In our case the following app event is logged with search attempts:

Log Name: Application
Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store
Date: 9/17/2010 7:42:01 AM
Event ID: 9877
Task Category: Content Indexing
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Servername

Description:
Content Indexing function 'CISearch::EcGetRowsetAndAccessor' received an unusual and unexpected error code from MSSearch.
Mailbox Database: Mailbox Database 0963940198
Error Code: 0x80043629

We have performed the following to attempt resolution:

1. Stopped search indexer, deleted catalogs, and restart indexer. Same result.

2. Created a new test mailbox database and test user, with the same result.

No search problems prior to SP1.

M

Michael Kocum

I get nearly the same error, but with a different Error code. The problem started immediately after installing SP1. The error happens only in Outlook with a full search in the search pane. Searching for a subarea ( e.g. " subject:test" ) doesn't result in that error. Further OWA doesn't raise the error.

There is a third thread in this forum that has more or less the same symptoms. So it is likely that there is a bug in SP1 and it would be really helpful if MS would take a look at it.

Here is my error:

MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store: 9877: Content Indexing function

'CISearch::EcGetRowsetAndAccessor' received an unusual and unexpected error

code from MSSearch. Mailbox Database: Mailbox Database 0030305139 Error

Code: 0x80041606

Michael Kocum [DataEnter]

michael@dataenter.co.at

J

jasonev

Yeah, it's just wonderful. It actually really stinks for me. I use OWA almost exclusively when out of the office and not having search function has forced me to either bust out the laptop or logon to a TS system for searches.

C

Coraleigh

I'm having the exact same error as you Michael, also right after installing SP1. It only occurs with Outlook searches, OWA is unaffected. I re-created the catalogs but to no effect. :-( MS please look into it.

S

Shvedchenko Denys

Hello, I've faced with the same problem

Log Name: Application
Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store
Date: 9/17/2010 7:42:01 AM
Event ID: 9877
Task Category: Content Indexing
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Servername

Description:
Content Indexing function 'CISearch::EcGetRowsetAndAccessor' received an unusual and unexpected error code from MSSearch.
Mailbox Database: Mailbox Database 0963940198
Error Code: 0x80043629

For the moment I've found workaround:

Search is working in OWA only from Favorites\Unread Mail. It is searching through the all mailbox ( not only filtered as new).

I think it is trouble in OWA....

D

DrCheese128

Yup, exactly the same here. I can't search from " inbox" or any other folder and the error above is reported on the exchange server. New database/user makes no difference.

Searching on unread works and also as above it's showing everything rather than just the unread ones when I search, It's a workaround for now to ease some of the agro from staff here, but it's not ideal.

D

DrCheese128

Hi Guys,

I think I've fixed it on our server now, I had to rerun the schema upgrades for SP1 (using the sp1 setup files...) and restart the exchange services. After that, search works as intended again.

R

Robios

Hi Guys,

I've tried the setup /PrepareSchema + reboot as suggested, but still get the same problem with OWA search.

Mailbox Database: Mailbox Database
Error Code: 0x8007007e

A

Alessandro Spiandore

Did you do /prepareAD as well?
WOW WOW WOW DrCheese128 simply the best!

Thanks!!!!!!!

PS: first - setup /PrepareAD
second setup /PrepareSchema + reboot

O

OVE19

PS: first - setup /PrepareAD
second setup /PrepareSchema + reboot

Hi, this is the solution?

Which setup? From the Exchange 2010 SP1? The setup should anyway refresh the schema, or not?

We have the same problem only with OWA and with Firefox and IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.