A file error has occurred in the CSV translator while initializing a translator to build a field map

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jnansmith

A file error has occurred in the CSV translator while initializing a translator to build a field map.

The file “C:\Users\JnanSmith\Documens\Jen\Business Outlook Contacts.csv is locked. This could be because the disk is locked, the file is read-only, in use by another program, or because you do not have permission to use a network path.

J

jnansmith

I've received this error message when trying to insert my contacts into Outlook 2010 with a csv file. Please help!

R

Russ Valentine

Could you please provide some more information with your post? A list of the steps you used to create the problem would be a good place to start. Are you trying to transfer Contacts by converting them to another format and then back again? If you created this CSV file by exporting from Outlook in the first place, the error is telling you that you failed to disconnect from the file after the export process.

Transferrring Outlook data through non-Outlook formats is problematic at best. There are safer and more reliable methods if that's what you're trying to do.

Russ Valentine

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
A friendly suggestion, just for the sake of clarity - the correct term is " when trying to <import>......." versus <insert> (may seem a trivial item but consistent terminology goes a long way when trouble-shooting)

That said - based on the your message " The file.................is locked" - likely causes are the following:

1) You copied the file from an external source and the " read-only" attribute has not been cleared. Right click on the file name --> properties --> Clear the <Read Only> box on the screen that appears

2) You have the CSV file open in another program - such as Excel. This could also occur if you have an " orphan" Excel task that has not closed that was using the CSV file even though it otherwise appears closed.

A quick brute force way to resolve issue #2 (if that is indeed the problem), reboot your machine and import the file again. Re-booting will release any potential " orphan file locks" that may exist if there is no obvious program that has the CSV file open.

In short - any message advising that a file " is locked" means that nothing else can read it - not an Outlook issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Delete email from outbox, error message ' this file cannot be deleted because it has been moved or you have been denied access.' Using Outlook 1
W error with the permission for the file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
U .pst file error at opening outlook Using Outlook 1
E Outlook 2013 default file error Using Outlook 1
P Error Message “Your Outlook Data File cannot be configured” Using Outlook 5
P I am getting an error msg = cannot open file access denied Using Outlook 3
L Outgoing Email attachment error "the system cannot find the file specified" Using Outlook 3
D Unable to open hotmail, error hotmail.ost is not an offline folder file Using Outlook 3
P Error message of "Cannot open your default email-folders Errors have been detected in the File U:\Ou Using Outlook 2
S Error in outlook.ost file, scanpst.exe does not work. Using Outlook 4
G Problem: MS Outlook 2007 will not open. Error with file c:/ Using Outlook 2
M Error message Path to file invalid Using Outlook 1
H Scan PST/Inbox Repair to Reports Fatal Error While Scanning File Using Outlook 1
M Can't backup Outlook 2010 - Locked File Error Message Using Outlook 4
R Send/Receive error Outlook Data File Cannot be accessed Using Outlook 9
F OLAddin run-time error '75": path/file access error Using Outlook 1
T getting an error This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. C Using Outlook 7
D This file cannot be previewed because of an error with the following previewer Adobe PDF Using Outlook 1
F Must connect o Microsoft Exchange before you can use your offline folder file (Error msg) Using Outlook 4
M eseutil Operation terminated with error -528 (JET_errMissingLogFile, Current log file missing) Exchange Server Administration 1
G Scanpst.exe error but can't find file that needs to be fixed due to outlook not opening up Using Outlook 3
S Error while opening MS Outlook 2007 with the message "The data file 'Personal Folder' did not closed Using Outlook 1
C Error Message: cannot open your default emails folders. outlook cannot start because a data file to Using Outlook 2
T Error message about my .pst file Using Outlook 21
T Outlook 2010 gives an Outlook PST File Not Found error on Windows 7 32 bit. Using Outlook 1
M Outlook Options &gt; Advanced shows error message: 'File Cannot Be found' Using Outlook 1
B error message this file is not in a recognizable format Using Outlook 1
N Sending reported error (0x8004010F): Outlook data file cannot be accessed Using Outlook 4
J Cannot Create File Error Message Using Outlook 1
O Error in closing archive file. Using Outlook 3
S Signature File Error Using Outlook 1
M 0x80040600 error to scan.pstexe but then will not open the file to repair Using Outlook 2
S When printing an html file, error: connecting the server for information Using Outlook 2
S Error 'outlook cannot launch an application to handle d:\xxxxxx' when try to insert file. Using Outlook 1
B Error Code 0X8004010F - Outlook Data File Cannot be Accessed" __How do you change the Data File Loca Using Outlook 1
D I got a error in the pst file of Outlook 2007,how can i fix it? Using Outlook 2
T OUTLOOK 2010 TNEF FILE ERROR Using Outlook 1
E I cannot open my outlook getting an Installation Error:File not found How do I get it back without losing my emails and address book? Using Outlook 1
D ERROR (0x8004010F) Outlook data file can not be accessed__ Using Outlook 1
A Email error message:outlook data file cannot be accessed Using Outlook 1
A Can't open Outlook! I get an error message about .pst file not being a personal file. Using Outlook 1
T Import Outlook 2003 .bcm file into Office 2010 Bus. Cont. Mgr. Error: "Input string was not in a cor Using Outlook 6
P Word experienced and error trying to open the file Using Outlook 2
M Error code 0x8004010F - "data file cannot be accessed" Using Outlook 1
C cannot create file error Using Outlook 4
S Missing file error when trying to sync iphone 3gs Using Outlook 1
V After compacting my pst file, I can't open Sent Items folder. Error message says, "the messaging int Using Outlook 3
G [outlook 2007]Error message : Cannot open your default e-mail folders the file ... Cannot be opened Using Outlook 2
T Runtime Error/ cannot find system in table file Using Outlook 2
R I am getting the error that Microsoft outlook can't find my PST file Using Outlook 1