Unable to retrieve information from Exchange 2010 Public Folder after remove server replication

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kent Ng

Hi,

I have a problem to retrieve content information from Exchange 2010 Public Folder (after I manually remove all server replication on all public folder, including system public folder, using Exchange 2007 Public Folder management console).

My exchange environment setup as below:
I have 2 exchange server : ex2010 and ex2007 I have successfully migrated mailbox and public folder database from ex2007 to ex2010 I have changed ex2007 mailbox database point to ex2010 public folder (PF2010) as a default public folder. I forgot that I have already changed ex2007 default public folder to PF2010, so I manually remove all server replication on all public folders and each items using Public Folder Management Console on ex2007. After the deletion, I found that all my user (located on ex2010 server) was unable to connect Public Folder from Microsoft Outlook and OWA.

The way that I had tried:
I had tried to put back all server replication for all public folder (including system public folder). Then, I can access public folder now. But all my public folder (including public folder - calendar) are now empty. I used get-publicfolderitemstatistic, it listed all my public folders are now empty. However, my public folder database still more than 2GB, which I think all contents should still remain, but it might just cannot be read. I also tried http://www.vware.at/?p=169, but the problem still cannot be solve.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Kent Ng

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

So all the folders are empty?

If so, you could try exfolders and look to see if any deleted items exist, if not, it sounds as if you never actually replicated items and you will need to do a restore from backup.

Get-PublicFolderStatistics will show item counts. ( In step 2 above, how exactly did you " migrate" the database?)

K

Kent Ng

Hi Andy,

These are the step that I use for my migration:
Install Exchange 2010 on new server with Windows Server 2008 SP2 installed. How Do I: Transitioning From Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 Part 2 ? How Do I: Transitioning From Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 Part 3 ? (until 2:30 minute) From the video, I should not remove the server from replication tab on ex2007. But, I did remove the server from replication tab on ex2007 server. And now, all my public folders show empty, but the public folder database itself is 2GB+. How can I retrieve back my data on public folder?

Thank you.

Kent Ng

K

Kent Ng

Hi Andy,

I have tried to open public folder database using ExFolders. Unfortunately I can't see any normal / deleted items.

If I never actually replicate items, how come my PF2010 has 2GB+?

Any idea?

Is there a way to re-replicate all contact from my previous ex2007 public folder database?

I try to create a new public folder on ex2010, but the server only allow to have one public folder. Is there anyway to temporary disconnect current public folder and mount a public folder backup database?

Thanks.

Kent Ng

J

James-Luo

Quote: “I should not remove the server from replication tab on ex2007. But, I did remove the server from replication tab on ex2007 server”

You have removed exchange 2010 public folder database from the replica list of all public folders? When you removed the exchange 2010 database, is there any other database still in the replica list?

Quote: “If I never actually replicate items, how come my PF2010 has 2GB+?”

The size could be white space, not exact data. You can perform an offline defragment against the public folder database, and see if the size would shrink

James Luo

K

Kent Ng

Hi James,

I think I have removed exchange 2010 public folder database from the replica list of all public folders. And when I removed the exchange 2010 database, there is no more other database still in the replica list. I would say the replica list is empty.

Is there anyway to retrieve / recover back exchange 2010 public folder database?

Any solution will be appreciate.

Thanks.

Kent Ng

J

James-Luo

If the replica list is empty, it means there"s no copy of public folder on any exchange server. The size of the current database would be the white space, you can use offline defragment to verify it

I would suggest you to restore the public folder database from the backup

James Luo

K

Kent Ng

Hi James,

I dont' have any backup for the exchange 2010 public folder database (since it is newly created), but I do have exchange 2007 public folder database backup (before & after the migration), would it help?

Can I replicate it again? From Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010?

Thanks.

Kent Ng

K

Kent Ng

Hi James,

My Exchange 2010 public folder still have all logs, is it possible to repair / recover using these log files? (because I don't have any backup on Exchange 2010 public folder database).

Thanks.

Kent Ng

J

James-Luo

Yes, please restore the public folder database on the exchange 2007 and verify it

James Luo

K

Kent Ng

Hi James,

I am not sure how to restore public folder database on exchange 2007, can you guide me please?

I have a backup using NTBackup, should I just restore those files from C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\Second Storage Group\*.*

or I should restore from <ServerName>\Microsoft Information Store\Second Storage Group\*.*?

Thank you.

Kent Ng

K

Kent Ng

Restore is in progress, will let you know the result later. =)

Thanks James.

Kent Ng

K

Kent Ng

Hi James,

After restore exchange 2007 database, I can see there are 9000 items using Exchange 2007 Public Folder Management Console. But I can't open it from user on Exchange 2007 Server.

Error:

The public folder you're trying to access couldn't be found. For more information, contact technical support for your organization.

-----
Another scenerio is that if I " update hierarchy" then my public folder will become inaccessible. (Which mean I can saw 9000 items there, after this step, it become " Not available on this server" .

-----
if I have no more backup to use and i checked all my exchange 2010 public folder database logs are healthy. Is it possible to recover public folder database using log files only?

So that it can replay all the log files and to recreate the EDB file. Is it possible?

http://msexchangeguru.com/2009/07/12/exchange-database-recovery-using-eseutil-commands/

Thanks.

Kent Ng

K

Kent Ng

Hi,

Is there anyone know how to recover Public Folder database using database log file?

Thank you.

Kent Ng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
X Exchange 2007 Outlook Anywhere Clients unable to retrieve GAL Using Outlook 9
D I am able to send emails on Outlook, but unable to retrieve emails trying to come in. Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 Client - "unable to connect to retrieve additional data" for some Distribution lists Exchange Server Administration 7
J Client unable to retrieve mailbox Exchange Server Administration 2
D Outlook 2003 - lost all data in profile, have been unable to retrieve anything Using Outlook 6
A Unable to save recurring Meeting to Documents folder due to error Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 365 - suddenly unable to send using Gmail POP3 Using Outlook 10
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
Q Unable to Sync Quicken reminder with Outlook 2016 64Bit Using Outlook 1
S Unable to remove rule outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
L Wierd Office 365 Contact unable to edit body of random contacts Using Outlook 5
X Unable to send an email from one account to another on same PC Using Outlook 2
Mark Foley Unable to subscribe to published calendar in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
S Unable to Edit Contact Information in Certain Contact Folders Using Outlook 3
P Deleted Items - Unable to Iterate All of Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Unable to dismiss reminders from share point list calendar shared in Outlook Using Outlook 2
R Unable to install without email account Using Outlook 4
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
A Outlook 2016- unable to have all subfolders expanded when opening outlook Using Outlook 11
avant-guvnor Unable to view certain emails in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 16
M Unable to Configure Gmail Account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
D Unable to Send On Behalf of Another User Exchange Server Administration 0
J Unable to link email messages in BCM using a single microsoft office 365 account in outlook 2013 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
Tim King Outlook 365 unable to change accounts Using Outlook 0
R Unable to send mail using Cox.net Using Outlook 1
T Unable to 'Upload a file' using popup 'Browse' button Using Outlook 0
D Unable to add email address to contact Using Outlook 3
G Outlook calendar entry corrupted. Constant pop up when you open outlook. Unable to delete or remove. Using Outlook 2
O OL2000: Unable to create IMAP account Using Outlook 2
wallisellener Unable to reply/post/create new thread using Chrome BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
Rupert Dragwater unable to change font sizes in some replies Using Outlook 3
C Unable to see meeting attendees Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 5
M Unable to email from Word or Excel Using Outlook 11
O Unable to check name. Using Outlook 3
T Unable to create contacts subfolder in EAS profile Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
UncleBill Unable to delete items from gmail IMAP Trash using Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
B Unable to search delegated mailfile Using Outlook 3
K Unable to activate QueryBuilder in Outlook 2010 (32bit) with Windows 7 (64bit) Using Outlook 1
C Unable to forward email with URL Using Outlook 2
R New computer, OL2010 unable to display shared calendar appointments Exchange Server Administration 3
S unable to send email from my second address (outlook 2007) Using Outlook 2
A "Unable to display the folder" error when accessing Group mailbox Using Outlook 0
C Outlook 2010, two exchange mailboxes configured.Unable to see 2ndrymeeting req Using Outlook 2
H Outlook 2010 unable to send iCloud account e-mail after iOS 7 upgrade Using Outlook 12
B Unable to apply rule on Exchange server functional account Exchange Server Administration 1
J Archives: Unable to locate emails Using Outlook 1
S Unable to send or reeceive email in new Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 0
B Unable to Accept meetings that are already Tentatively accepted Using Outlook 2
M Unable to read HTML Using Outlook 2
A Unable to send with attachments in Outlook 2013 (Exchange ActiveSync) Using Outlook 2