Linking One Note to other task folders in outlook other than "tasks"

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeremy04

Hi, I am trying to link all my tasks/goals from onenote into outlook. The issue is when I change folders or drag a task into a new folder in outlook it disconnects with one note and can't be found. So, say if I have a " goals" tab in one note that I want to connect all my tasks with but there are multiple catagories as in my case. I create new folders in the tasks section of outlook for each specific category. Now, when I link a task in with outlook by default it goes into the " tasks" folder of the task section in outlook. I want it in one of the other folders I created and the only way I seem to be able to do that is to drag it into said folder (ex employment). However, doing this disconnects it with one note, so I can't interact with the task using one note. Does anyone know any way around this?

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

I'd have to check but I'm guessing the answer is No. I think OneNote only syncs with the default Tasks folder in Outlook.

Have you considered using categories and views instead of multiple Tasks folders?

J

Jeremy04

I guess I never really understood categories, it was always a little confusing as every time I would click on something it would flip out and assign a category or the default catagory, idk guess I haven't taken the time to explore it.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Categories let you group items together. You assign a category basically the same way you would assign a folder. You can make a category for each project or categories for types of tasks. Then you assign one (or more) categories to a task.

Once you've done that you can view your Tasks folder " By Category" you can even set up filters if you want to that only show items from that Category (creating essentially virtual subfolders). You can also search by category.

It does take a little effort to set up, but once it's set up it should run pretty smoothly and it lets you keep all your tasks in a single folder so OneNote has no issues. AND for those time when you want to see your next tasks across ALL projects you don't have to try and aggregate 10 different folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Run Time Error 91 when linking contact to task in VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Travis Lloyd Linking Outlook 2016 Desktop To POP3 Acc't On Android Phone Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
M Linking Excel Cell to Shared Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
B Can't expose sender email address when linking outlook to access Using Outlook 3
Andrew Hawkins Linking tasks Using Outlook 1
N linking an already sent/rec'd email to contact record like it did in 2000 Using Outlook 0
C Linking e-mails BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Need help concerning emails linking to BCM. BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
P Linking email responses to initial email sent Using Outlook 5
J Linking Contacts to a Message Where the Contact isn't an Addressee Using Outlook 1
J Custom Contacts: Linking button to website Using Outlook 4
M Custom Contact form queries (date control & contact/calender linking) Using Outlook 1
R Can't use "manage linking and tracking" BCM (Business Contact Manager) 10
M Outlook 2010 - linking appointments to contact activities Outlook Wishlist 9
K add an email to a business contact without linking/tracking sender BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
K add an email to an account without linking and tracking the email address BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
B Linking from Excel to public outlook 2010 calendar. Using Outlook 0
C BCM2010, address book & email linking Using Outlook 1
B linking outlook to hotmail Using Outlook 1
M Problem Linking Outlook 2010 to Access 2010 Using Outlook 2
C Linking e-mail messages to Business Contact Manager records does not save the attachments in the ema Using Outlook 1
P Linking outlook items to the contact screen Using Outlook 1
K Linking/sharing calendar in Sharepoint Workspace 2010 with calendar in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
L BCM 2010 Linking A Business Contact to Multiple Accounts or Projects Using Outlook 1
L Issue with hyper-linking to url adddress in email Using Outlook 1
S Linking Microsoft Outlook to AOL email Using Outlook 1
D Linking Emails BCM 2007 Using Outlook 1
S Directly embedding video in an e-mail (not linking to one) Using Outlook 1
L Linking from email to websites Using Outlook 1
M Linking Contacts to appointments or meetings when there is no email address (in Office 2010 Professional Plus Using Outlook 1
T mobileme or itunes linking problem Using Outlook 1
W Linking dropdown values Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H Not all Email folders appearing in Manage E-mail Auto-linking BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
G Linking Outlook to Access for Contacts in Access Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Sharing BCM contacts and linking items to records BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Linking Information from Accounts to Business Contacts Manager BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
L Linking a Business Contact to multiple Accounts? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
M linking projects and tasks data to access or excel BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Auto-linking emails by default shared DB BCM 2007 on SQL 2008 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
L Out of memory errors and Auto-linking hangs BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
W Get a "New Note" icon onto the QAT Using Outlook 3
D IMP.Note Versus REPORt.IPM.NOte Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M One Note as a mail folder Using Outlook 6
mrje1 Note Field (Any way to do incell editing) Using Outlook 7
J Outlook 2013 Want to file a note after filtering with search current mailbox Using Outlook 3
U No scrolling in note field of contact record Using Outlook 1
D Updating Registry to force new task and note items to save in a particular folder Using Outlook 1
L Contact Photo For Calendar Note Field Using Outlook 4
L Contact Photo For Calendar Note Field Using Outlook 0
L How to acess the note field in contact item Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 19