Exchange 201 SP1 installation fails - missing language files

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CBS3

Offering this for information...

While installing SP1, I selected the language option to install only languages on the DVD. I was assuming the "DVD" referred to the file I downloaded as the service pack. I got an error message about a missing common.resources.dll in the zh-hans (or zh-hant) folder.

I downloaded another copy of the service pack and ended up with the same result. The specified folder was empty, compared to similarly named folders with many files. I tried "spoofing" by copying files from another folder, but got a similar, but different, missing file message.

Next time through, I selected the option to install all language files, which led to an Internet download, and then things proceeded successfully to completion.

OK, I got through it, but I don't like the idea of installing a bunch of files for which I will have no use.

Bug in the download package?

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Could be, but I think all totaled, the complete language pack requires only about 700MB in disk space. And there is no performance hit for the languages not used.

M

[MT]

According to error provided, zh-hans is chinese (simplified), did you installed it at previous?

MT | MCITP ----- Please vote helpful or mark as answer if it's answered your question, this help us follow up the question status.

C

CBS3

I don't think I installed any optional languages. I normally go through custom/advanced options and deselect what I don't need/want. If I made a conscious choice of language support, it would have been English and Spanish only.

So I guess what you are suggesting is that Chinese was installed to begin with, and was not available from the "DVD"-based update file...

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

The "DVD choice" only installs the existing default language.

There is no ability to choose individual languages when installing the 2010 language pack, you get the whole thing.

C

CBS3

Yes...

That page looks familiar.

I definitely downloaded it from MS, somewhere, and that is the file name.

Status
Not open for further replies.