New-MailboxImportRequest isn't finishing. Can't work out why. Exchange 2010 SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AI32768

Hello Brian,

I appreciate that you cannot publicly announce update fixes until fully proven and that you are dealing with x types of legacy messes in PST files. Could you however give an update as of now relating to this case? I am dealing with a large migration of Exchange data from a liquidating company and thus have limited time available to import data to a new system and without a direct PSS line until the new agreement is set up, am limited to being advised to post a problem here for support relating to a known issue. If there is an option to test an 'in development' fix on our non-volatile systems we would be keen to participate or at least to be informed when an interim update is available.

Regards,

Andy

(And to pre-empt any more adverts on this thread, no I don't want to buy a product to fix a standard operation of Exchange. Any of us experiencing this problem could similarly spend money employing someone to import through Outlook)

N

Nathan H

I, too, have been going through this with Microsoft CSS.

Happily, they were able to reproduce the error i believe and happily, I notice yesterdays rollup hotfix 2 for Exchange 2010 SP1 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2425179) contains this:

The Exchange Mailbox Replication service crashes when you use the " New-MailboxImportRequest" command to import a PST file to an Exchange Server 2010 mailbox
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458005/

" Consider the following scenario:
You use the New-MailboxImportRequest command to import a .pst file to a mailbox in a Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1) environment. An item in the .pst file has a string that contains invalid XML characters. "

Although I wager a few other people have also reported it and raised it with Microsoft, I've been dealing with them for the past two weeks-ish and was very happy to see that this is in this rollup.

Installing the Rollup Hotfix 2 now on all of our Exchange servers (we have roles seperated out to ease the load etc) to see if it fixes the issue.

If it works, then Microsoft, you have my thanks for such a speedy resolution (for me) :)

Cheers
Nath.

Nathan H ICT Messaging & Security Development Officer - CCC (gov)

B

Brian Day MCITP

Good luck with the installs, Nathan. The folks I've spoke to so far have had good luck with imports after applying RU2. You may still run into some legitimately corrupt items within the PSTs (just like with normal mailbox rules), so don't be surprised if you have to increase the -BadItemLimit a bit until you clear that hurdle. An Event 1100 will be logged if the import hits the BadItemLimit for an import.Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
My posts are provided "AS IS" with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.

R

Rusty Pass

Applying the hot fix breaks OWA. Any suggestions? And still does not fix the import PST issue.

B

Brian Day MCITP

It sounds like you may not have installed RU2 from an elevated command prompt. Did you simply double-click the .MSP file? If you did, uninstall RU2, open an elevated command prompt (right-click on Command Prompt, run as administrator), change to the directory holding the .MSP, then type the whole .MSP file name and hit enter.Microsoft Premier Field Engineer, Exchange
MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
Former Microsoft MVP, Exchange Server
My posts are provided "AS IS" with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.

R

Rusty Pass

reapplied the update per your instructions, and http OWA works now but not HTTPS. Any ideas?

N

Nathan H

Hi Brian

Seems with all the excitement, i forgot to actually pop back here and say that its muuuuuuuuuch better now - Mainly due to the service not crashing, which I believe is pretty much why you'd never get to the point where the request would be able to fail - it would just restart and you'd end up never getting to the end.

That was my immediate concern (i.e. knock on effect from the service crashing and potentially messing up other imports that would have otherwise completed successfully) and why I raised it with MS CSS as soon as I was able to.

It handles most of the PSTs it couldnt handle before, although it still doesnt seem as rock solid at handling corruption [i dont just mean a bad item as such] as it was in RTM [when it used Outlook for its API] but its workable, and for that, im very greatful.

Its a bit of a egg on my face situation, with us having to get some temp staff in to help assist with the migrations, only for me to install SP1 a few weeks later and then them have to queue up large amounts of PSTs for me to " babysit" .... not the most fun time ever but rewarding that we've got to the stage we are at now (i.e. i can hand it back to them - i'm currently working on a " decent" way that they can import and the system will automate some output logs and auto clear completed requests etc. Ive got it all working....just need to finish it off :)

@Rusty Pass:

I believe that there is some way - since SP1 - to reset/repair your OWA directory in Exchange, although I cant remember how offhand.

Ironically, used to have issues with the OAB pre SP1 - sometimes the security settings on the folder would mess up somehow, i think after a server restart usually, but since SP1, its all been working a treat.

I did read somewhere that 2010 SP1 can break the redirection of OWA's settings so you'll want to check the IIS Settings there most likely, and dont forget to use the IISRESET command / restart IIS however you normally would too ;)

What error message do u get when you try https? Have your certificates altered? cud be so many things without knowing the error message ;)

Cheers
Nath

Nathan H ICT Messaging & Security Development Officer - CCC (gov)

Status
Not open for further replies.