Mounting 2003 Mailbox Databases in Exchange 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mick_GFC

I am transitioning from Exchange 2003 to Exhange 2010. In my current existing Exchange 2003 environment my storage groups (Information Stores) are physically located on an external storage array (SAN) via an ISCI connection. I initally hoped that I could simply follow the steps and prepare my environment and Install Exhange 2010 and then point it to the storage groups (information stores) on the storage array (which are currently Exchange 2003 based). After further research I am not so sure this is possible. I really don't want to move all these mailboxes. So is it possible to create the ISCI connection from my Exchange 2010 server and point it to the Exhange 2003 storage groups (information stores) and mount them as an Exchange 2010 mailbox databse???

M

Michel de Rooij

Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2010 databases are incompatible. To add to that, Exchange 2003 databases aren't portable.

So, you're in for a move mailbox operation.
Michel de Rooij,
MCITP Ent.Msg 2007+2010| MCTS W2008, Ex2007+2010 Conf, OCS2007 Conf | MCSE+Msg2k3 | MCSE+Inet2k3 | Prince2 Fnd | ITIL
I blog on http://eightwone.wordpress.com/ and tweet on http://twitter.com/mderooij

M

Mick_GFC

Thanks for confirming this Michel. I wasn't sure if the mailbox store cmdlets - get-mailboxdatabase and set mailboxdatabase could provide me with any hope. It didn't appear that it could. So create a new mailbox store in Exchange 2010 and then move the 2003 mailboxes is the only way to accomplish this??

As a further question - I am running Office Communicator so I assume all the sip account characteristics of the users remain intact following the move.

B

Brian Desmond -MVP-

Thanks for confirming this Michel. I wasn't sure if the mailbox store cmdlets - get-mailboxdatabase and set mailboxdatabase could provide me with any hope. It didn't appear that it could. So create a new mailbox store in Exchange 2010 and then move the 2003 mailboxes is the only way to accomplish this??

As a further question - I am running Office Communicator so I assume all the sip account characteristics of the users remain intact following the move.

You're correct you have to do mailbox moves using New-MoveRequest or the EMC.

As far as Communicator, it will be fine (all that info is stored in AD), but, it will start making EWS (Exchange Web Services) calls once users move so a quick verification that EWS is properly configured will save you any error messages in the OCS client.

My Book - Active Directory, 4th Edition
My Blog - www.briandesmond.com

Status
Not open for further replies.