2003 Outlook Import and Export Wizard won't appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rovingmx

I recently reinstalled Office 2003 on my Win 7 desktop following a clean reinstall of Win 7. I need to Import my saved Contacts that were exported to a flash drive (.csv) prior to the reinstall. 'Import and Export' appear under 'File', as they should, but clicking does not start the Wizard process to bring up the series of windows giving the choices to import or export, etc. I'm stymied at the moment and I need my Contacts. Suggestions appreciated.

R

Russ Valentine

Importing and exporting through non-Outlook format are never the correct way to transfer Outlook data. Did you not back up your Outlook data file?

If not, you've lost data. Did you make sure you installed Outlook's Importers and Exporters from the Office CD? Make sure you've done so using the Office Maintenance Wizard.

Russ Valentine

R

Rovingmx

I have transferred my contacts back and forth between my computers using the Import and Export facility using the .csv format, which is one of the alternatives. No problems. Also several installs of my Office 2003 to new computers over the years have never failed and all have had the Import and Export selection in the File menu available that when clicked opens the Import and Export Wizard. I did use the CD and had it add the Import and Export facilities and after a restart they are still not available. I did not find the Office Maintenance Wizard, so maybe you can direct me to it. I also have a copy of my .pst files that I can copy back to the computer, if only I had the I and E operational. Your help is sure appreciated.

R

Russ Valentine

I have no idea why you cannot install the import and export Wizard. I only know you have no need for it. It should never be used to transfer Outlook data. Proper methods for transferring Outlook data are posted here daily. Use one of them. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:

Moving Outlook to a New Computer

http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

Note that some of the information on the Microsoft page is outdated and contains errors, particularly when applied to Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010. Specifically:

1. Ignore any advice to copy your PST file to Outlook's default location to connect it to your profile. Doing so will often corrupt your Outlook profile. Copy it anywhere BUT the default location and then open it within your Outlook profile.

2. Ignore any advice that tells you to use export or import to transfer an entire Outlook data file. That has never been sound advice, but the process has become too deeply flawed to be trusted.

Russ Valentine

R

Rovingmx

Thanks for all of the tips, Russ. As often happens, what once seemed simple and easy changes over time. I'll go to work on your suggestions today and see if I can't get things back in order and working correctly. I did the Win 7 clean install to overcome a problem that was apparently caused by upgrading over Vista instead of clean installing a year ago. This indeed solved that problem of non-recognition of a new ext. hdd. As can be the case, you solve one and create another. Good to have you folks around to bail us out of often self-induced problems. I really appreciate it. Now to see if I can follow the instructions. If not I may have to ask for help again. Thanks, Roving

R

Russ Valentine

After you migrate your data correctly and have a good Outlook profile, I suspect you'll be able to get Import/Export working again by running the Office Maintenance Wizard to repair your installation. You'll find that option in Control Panel > Programs when you click on the Office 2003 instialltion reference.

Just be sure you only use Import/Export to transfer non-Outlook data in or out of Outlook, not Outlook data.

Russ Valentine

N

Niyamath Khan

You may follow these steps:

1. Click Start > Control Panel >Programs > Uninstall a program.

2. In the Currently installed programs list, clickMicrosoft Office 2003, and then click Change.

3. In the Microsoft Office 2003 Setup dialog box, clickAdd or Remove Features under the Maintenance Mode Options area, and then clicknext.

4. Under the Custom Setup area, click to select theChoose advanced customization of applications check box, and then clicknext.

5. Under the Choose update options for applications and tools area, expandMicrosoft Office Outlook.

6. Click the down arrow next toImporters and Exporters, and then click either the Run from My Computer option or theRun all from My Computer option.

7. In the Microsoft Office 2003 Setup dialog box, clickUpdate.

R

Rovingmx

Thanks to both of you. It is now up and operating as it should, and Import and Export began functioning again. And all seem to be just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Import Categories from Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 8
E Want to Import Outlook 2003 pst files to later version Using Outlook 6
Calvyn Outlook 2003 cannot import .vcs subject Using Outlook 1
R Can not import dbx files from outlook express into outlook 2003 after installing windows 7 64 bit Using Outlook 1
D cannot import contact files to outlook 2003, cannot change import and export applications and tools, Using Outlook 3
P How to import OE WAB into outlook 2003 Using Outlook 5
J Import DBX @ WAB files to Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 4
T Import Outlook 2003 .bcm file into Office 2010 Bus. Cont. Mgr. Error: "Input string was not in a cor Using Outlook 6
C Import Address Book from Palm Treo to Outlook 2003 without losing data & custom fields Using Outlook 1
R Just got Outlook 2010. How do I import my info from Outlook 2003? Using Outlook 2
B Can I import my snail mail contacts into outlook 2003. If yes, how do I do that? Using Outlook 2
E Trying to import my outlook 2003 contacts into outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 2003 email sending & receiving suddenly stopped working Using Outlook 3
H Outlook 2003 find by "has attachment" Using Outlook 1
glnz How set up new IMAP on Outlook-Office 365 and merge in pst from Outlook 2003 for same two email accounts? Using Outlook 5
V Outlook 2003 problem with Windows 10 Creators Update 1709 Using Outlook 0
M Outlook 2003 pictures - some visible, some not Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2013 pst file Using Outlook 5
O Memory Leak in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 3
W Changing looks of emails in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 0
O Outlook 2003 can't send, but settings seem OK Using Outlook 1
P URL Hyperlink not working correctly in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 10
O Outlook 2003 can't open contacts. Using Outlook 2
O Promoting Outlook 2003 User Templates Using Outlook 1
O W-a-a-y too many PSTs (Outlook 2003) Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 2003-2010 PST Field Editor Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2003 - Do I need a new profile? Using Outlook 2
A error message outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
B Seeking advice now Outlook 2003 is unsupported by Exchange Using Outlook 4
O Change Debit to Credit in Outlook 2003? Using Outlook 1
J problems downloading POP3 emails to Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
G Outlook 2003 VBA Won't Run In Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P Outlook 2003 - possible to recreate corrupt account? Using Outlook 3
T Query about one aspect of migrating .pst files from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 5
C Outlook 2003 contacts Using Outlook 1
G Configuring Outlook 2003 for Gmail with both pop3 & imap4 accounts Using Outlook 1
M HELP--Extract Data from 2003 outlook transfer to excel spreadsheet Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2003 editing problem Using Outlook 4
X Outlook 2003 not sending all of the new email message Using Outlook 1
2 How to use outlook 2003 calendar in always offline mode Using Outlook 0
G Outlook 2003 I need to move email to folder based on subject, using wild card Using Outlook 0
G outlook 2013 - Open In Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
A Exchange 2003 Outlook 2010 64 Bit- AutoDiscover Connection Err - Certificate Exchange Server Administration 9
T Use Outlook 2003 with Office 2013 Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2003 contact folder opend in scrolled down position Using Outlook 2
O Need advice ASAP! Outlook 2003. Using Outlook 1
H Custom Contact form not working in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 3
O Outlook 2003 forms problem Using Outlook 3
O Duplicate folders in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 3
O Moving OUtlook 2003 from bad XP to Win 7 Pro 64 -- URGENT! Using Outlook 8