outllook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hgambler98

i need to transfer the files from old computer that has the 2007 office to new computer that got 2010.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

my old computer has the xp operating system and the new one got window 7

H

Hassan El-Meligy, MSc

First

(Allocate the folder and files of the mail on 2007)

File->accountsetting>secondtab (databases)->(locate the file) do a Open Folder Location

Possibly will look like this C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Outlook Files

Copy it to a flash or harddisk

Second

Continue to Install outloook 2010 and add a new mail etc. to the end

(Allocate the folder where the new outlook is saving, copy the file path, or see if outlook will keep the folder open)

File->accountsetting>secondtab (databases)->(locate the file) do a Open Folder Location

Possibly will look like this C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Outlook Files

Exit outlook

Copy the old file overwriting the current

Run outlook

*if you face any kind of problems look into http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm

Hope this helps

R

Russ Valentine

More bad advice. You never overwrite an Outlook data file. Correct methods for transferring Outlook data are posted here many times a day. Please read them. I'll post them again to save you the trouble of learning how to read posts.

Moving Outlook to a New Computer
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

Note that some of the information on the Microsoft page is outdated and contains errors, particularly when applied to Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010. Specifically:
1. Ignore any advice to copy your PST file to Outlook's default location to connect it to your profile. Doing so will often corrupt your Outlook profile. Copy it anywhere BUT the default location and then open it within your Outlook profile.
2. Ignore any advice that tells you to use export or import to transfer an entire Outlook data file. That has never been sound advice, but the process has become too deeply flawed to be trusted.

Also, when you use manual configuration for your mail accounts in Outlook 2010 (always preferable) it has a nice new option that lets you connect to a pre-existing data file when creating a new profile instead of having to jump through all the hoops of creating a new file, connecting to the pre-existing file, then disconnecting the new file.

Russ Valentine

H

Hassan El-Meligy, MSc

Hi Russ,

I agree with you on the issue that it has been repeated many times here.

The best thing that Microsoft would do is to find a way to backup/export and restore/import from old to new releases.

On the other hand, I have tried both ways by either connecting to the pst file and/or copying the files to the default location especially when the setup is still new and there no problem overwriting..

User could make a backup of the folder anyway to avoid problems occur during the process

At the end, still giving the user general link will not also a good advice.

R

Russ Valentine

It is well documentd that overwriting a PST file corrupts the Outlook profile. Micorosft has certainly been derelict in providing and good documentation of good methods for migrating PST files, but the instructions I posted work.

Russ Valentine

H

Hassan El-Meligy, MSc

Hi Russ,

Must agree with you on the instructions written.

Thanks and best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Update Outllook 2010 to Outlook 2013 - Incorrect Forms Using Outlook 2
E Outllook 2010 Header Image Using Outlook 3
M Searching Outllook 2010 shared contacts from Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
C Outllook Migration - Office 200? - 2010 - Shared Mailbox Export-Bulk 500 users Using Outlook 1
V Security Certificate error in Outllook 2010. Using Outlook 2
G Outllook 2010 say's there is mail in the inbox, but nothing is showing Using Outlook 2
R Outllook 2010 Do not leave messages on the server IMAP email Using Outlook 1
S Error messgae when opening microsoft outllook 2010 Using Outlook 1
P Outllook 2007 not synchronizing OAB with new Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 6
P Outllook on a laptop and desktop Using Outlook 1
M Outllook vba - selecting a folder Using Outlook 1
S Outllook 2007 stops connecting with Exchange after latest MS Updates Using Outlook 2
M Outllook 2000 - 2 Errors - The Information Service / The Messaging Interface Using Outlook 7
S offline address book not downloading in outllook 2007 Exchange Server Administration 6
R Outllook hangs when trying to print Using Outlook 1
D Outllook 2007 not in cache mode, no offline files selected, yet OST file gets created. Using Outlook 1
N Outllook Mail Folders - 'Today' under Favorite Folders Using Outlook 2
T outllook notes stopped syncing with iphone Using Outlook 2
Z Outllook 07 Distribution Lists show up as different distribution list Using Outlook 1
L new or reply mail windows appears in the background behind outllook Using Outlook 1
S Outllook 2007 contacts is not listed in email addressbook. Check box on activation menu is grayed out. Using Outlook 4
D Outllook Reminder Notification Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i I think it may be time to upgrade from Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2010 How do you export 2 email Accounts' 2010 Inbox Files to new computer (2019)? Using Outlook 1
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2010 Problem with OutLook 2010 32 bit, after Windows Auto Update Using Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 is Auto Purging when not configured for that Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 Reading Pane Slows Startup Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
F how do i set a reminder in onenote 2010 Using Outlook 8
B Outlook 2010 Can not find a certain file in M/S Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
Mark Foley Cannot enable add-in in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
W Outlook 2010 some sent items marked unread now (was Ok before) Using Outlook 0
RBLampert Updating from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
D BCM 2013 not functioning as BCM 2010 Example no drop down for communications history Using Outlook 0
S Unable to remove rule outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 2010 Flag blocked for Safe Senders List???? Using Outlook 7
dweller Outlook 2010 Rule Ignores VBA Script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Mark Foley Unable to subscribe to published calendar in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
K Maximum Categorize Shortcuts In Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
witzker social connector 2010 does not show all emails to or from contact Using Outlook 3
witzker social connector 2010 does not show all emails to or from contact New Slipstick.com Articles 0
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
RBLampert Outlook 2010 no longer (?) shrinks large images Using Outlook 4
N Outlook 2010 will not send nor receive Using Outlook 4
U Outlook 2010 'freezes' before moving emails Using Outlook 2