How to make Outlook close completely.

• Thread starter Steve in Northridge
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve in Northridge

We have 2 Outlook profiles, so it is important for Outlook to completely close when one of us is finished. Outlook no longer closes automatically when I click the "X." The Outlook icon remains in the toolbar. So when Outlook is next opened it opens to the profile that was in use when the "X" was clicked, instead of going to the Chose Profile dialog box. To get the icon out of the toolbar upon closing I must go to "exit" in the Outlook file menu. What can I do to get back to fully closed when the "X" is clicked? (We use Outlook 2003 on an HP machine loaded with XP Pro.) Thanks.

S

Steve in Northridge

Clicked Start. Clicked run. Typed "Outlook /safe." Outlook opened to profile dialog box. Chose a profile and opened Outlook fully. Clicked the "X" box to close. Failed to close. Had to close by going to file menu and clicking Exit.

Thanks for trying, but this wasn't the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Outlook 365 - Toolbar - Close all items - missing? Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky How to Compact the Data File When you Close Outlook New Slipstick.com Articles 0
L Gmail POP, Android IMAP, Outlook 2013 setup close Using Outlook 5
D RUN SCRIPT WHEN OUTLOOK IS CLOSE Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Pop up reminder while i close outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
C Open/Close Outlook - Via Excel VBA Using Outlook 2
Q Looking for Outlook 2010 Close Event Id Exchange Server Administration 1
R Outlook and google calendar stuck if I close outlook Using Outlook 1
J Messages close themselves - Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
P Minimize button causes Outlook to close 2007 Using Outlook 1
R How do I close Outlook 2010 folders and have messages received unopened? Using Outlook 2
J Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconve Using Outlook 2
T I have Office Professional 2010 and Microsoft Outlook has stopped working Close the Program__ Using Outlook 2
B Outlook won't reopen once I close it down Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2010 will not close on exit Using Outlook 5
K Microsoft office outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconven Using Outlook 3
B Can not start Microsoft Office Outlook. Errors have been detect in the file. It said, close Outlook Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2007 close but Outlook.exe still running Using Outlook 1
M office 2007 - office outlook has encountered a problem...needs to close Using Outlook 3
L Can not get Outlook to save e-mail account passwords. If I put passwords in manually system works fine, but when I close Outlook and reopen I have to Using Outlook 1
G Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. Using Outlook 1
J Outlook doesn't close. Cannot open outlook without going to task manager Using Outlook 1
J Outlook (Office 2007 Basic) exits when I close an email or appointment. Using Outlook 2
R outlook.exe does not close Using Outlook 1
J "A data file did not close properly the last time it was used" in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 3
B Have 3 email accounts in Outlook; two work fine but aol account hangs up computer after sending 1 ~3 emails & I have to close outlook and reboot. Using Outlook 1
J Recent emails disappear when I change folders in Outlook. They reappear when I close and re-open Out Using Outlook 6
J Outlook 2010 - Meeting will not close without sending an update Using Outlook 6
P Would like to find a shortcut to close all open Outlook messages at the same time Using Outlook 4
W A message that I am getting all of a sudden when I try to close Outlook Using Outlook 1
S Why does Outlook 2007 close when I minimize it? Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2007 doesn't close on exit Using Outlook 3
W When I close Outlook 2010 and then re-open it, Outlook cannot connect with the Exchange server. Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2007 will not close Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2007 stops working on close Using Outlook 1
M After opening, reading mail I cannot close out Outlook to go into other programs without rebooting computer Using Outlook 1
T outlook\outlook.pst\ is in use and could not be accessed. Close any application that is using this f Using Outlook 6
W c:\users\anne\appData\local\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst is in use and cannot be accessed. Close a Using Outlook 4
D "Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Using Outlook 3
J Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close Using Outlook 8
K Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. Using Outlook 3
F Outlook 2007 does not close Using Outlook 3
I Outlook will not close upon exit Using Outlook 2
C Re: Minimizing an Outlook 2003 window causes it to CLOSE completel Using Outlook 0
R Outlook 2003 - Close parent form before opening child form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
D microsoft outlook has stopped working, close program, windows will check for solution Using Outlook 9
B Outlook 2007- Doesn't complete send/receive unless close Outllok, delete the background task and the Using Outlook 3
Q Why is BCM causing Outlook to close? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
H Outlook Does Not Really Close When I Close It BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
J Outlook 2010 Outlook/Win7 Client logging Event ID 36887 Using Outlook 0