Outlook Contact First and Last Name blocks reverse

• Thread starter DSGriffin
  • Start date Views 1,232
D

DSGriffin

I'm using Outlook 2003 and recently started having a problem whenever I try to enter a new contact. Whether I enter the person's first and last name in the contact form itself or click on the Full Name button and enter it there, when I submit the entry, the system reverses the first and last name. Even if I create the contact from the person's email address from the email, it does the same thing. Is there some setting that has changed or what is wrong?

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Would seem that your default setting for FullName order was changed

From Outlook menu --> Tools --> Options --> Contact Options

Changing this setting will not alter any pre-existing contacts that may have been added with the FullName in the incorrect order - those will have to be changed manually. If this involves a lot of contacts - you may find the FullName Standardization function in ContactGenie Toolkit (http://www.contactgenie.com/toolkit_4_outlook.htm to be of interest)

As a general comment, all other things aside, it is not a good idea to enter a contact's <name> information via the <FullName> field. Doing so results in Outlook parsing the entered value to determine the individual name components (Title, FirstName, MiddleName, LastName, Title) - you may not end up with the correct values in the correct fields. May take an extra couple of seconds to enter the individual field components but you will assured that the underlying data is correctly entered. It is quite possible to have the <FullName> field <appear> to be correct (i.e. showing FirstName LastName) only to see that both the First & LastNames are contained in a single field (either FirstName or LastName as a for instance) when looking at the FullName component values. One side effect of this is that it can become virtually impossible to isolate duplicates if these kinds of name fields are part of the <duplicate determination> field set.