New installation of Exchange see's a old Exchange that has been retired

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TSCSbze

I'm in the process of deploying a new Exchange 2010 server but I cannot make if pass the check list because of a old server on my network that was our old email server. I have a existing exchange 2003 server that is my primary email server that I going to replace with this one. The old server that is being found in addition has beed out of the email business for about 4 years and has been my Virus server I just never uninstalled Exchange I jus stopped the services. Now in order to move on my 2010 Exc is asking that all Exc Server be updated to Service Pack 2 which the current one is how do i remove the old server from my network record so I can complete my installation I've shut it down and disconnected it from the network but the 2010 Exc when it did its initial search of the network has that information in a temp file and eventhough the server is off it wants me to update it and fails my installation what can I do to resolve this.

I

ibenna [MVP]

How about going about it the recommended and the proper way...by starting all exchange services on the server and uninstalling exchange from it. This way all references are properly removed from AD! Just a thought...Thank you, Ibrahim Benna MCSA+Messaging, MCSE+Messaging, MCT, MVP "Did you backup your Information Store Today?!"

S

SMTP25

As we are not using Exchange 2003 any more you can follow two steps

1- Set the attribute Msexchmixedmode - false At the Exchange org level

adsiedit-configuration-services-Microsoft Exchange- Exchange Org name

2- Take the system state backup for the safer side

Delete the Microsoft Exchange

Adsiedit-Configuration-Services-Microsoft Exchange

Run the Setup.com /p /on:"NewExchangeorgname"

It will create the new Exchange org for you

Hasnain

Exchange Rocks

S

SMTP25

sorry, you can follow either one of the above stepsExchange Rocks

I

ibenna [MVP]

If you follow the steps outlined by SMTP25, you WILL be deleting your entire Exchange organization and this is NOT recommended because you STILL have another active Exchange 2003 server!! Please use the recommended and proper way of decommissioning an Exchange server by running the uninstallation process from setup!Thank you, Ibrahim Benna MCSA+Messaging, MCSE+Messaging, MCT, MVP "Did you backup your Information Store Today?!"

T

TSCSbze

Thanks I believe I will follow your tip because after a while both of my 2003 servers will be no more

T

TSCSbze

I've tried to uninstall my Exchange 2003 server but because It will not uninstall. I've tried to install service pack 2 on that server but that also failed. if I could just remove this one server from my Active Directory I believe I would be able to go forward with what I need

I

ibenna [MVP]

Use the following article to remove the server manually from your computer and from AD (obviously you want to skip the last section about reinstalling):

How to remove Exchange Server 2003 from your computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833396

Thank you, Ibrahim Benna MCSA+Messaging, MCSE+Messaging, MCT, MVP "Did you backup your Information Store Today?!"

T

TSCSbze

Hey thanks for the information, I have another issue my installation has not gone on as yet now that i've gotten that server out of my exchange network I now have a issue with my schema master for some reason the 2008 server still think that my ols 2000 server is still my schema master I migrated that function to a 2003 server over a week ago and if I run ntdsutil on that old server the 2000 box it points to the right server but this computer the server 2008 has it wrong how can I correct this so I can finish this installation. any help would great.

G

Gavin-Zhang

Hi TSCSbze,
Per your description, the issue seems that, you have not the schema master server setted correctly in you domain, which is one of the important FSMO when do the shcema prepare.
You could seize the FSMO in this senario. About how to do that, you'd better to post the issue on the windows server forum.
Regards!
Gavin

Status
Not open for further replies.