Why don't I see delivery receipts in Outllok 2007?

• Thread starter Arthruk
  • Start date Views 660
A

Arthruk

When I send an email in Outlook 2007 - under Options, I select Request a Delivery Receipt - but I never see these receipts in my inbox. Can anyone tell me why? I checked with my ISP and they don't do anything to stop these receipts from coming. Is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks

K

Kathleen Orland [MVP]

Your recipients can deny the receipt requestss, so can their mail server. Microsoft

A

Arthruk

I checked with my ISP and they don't deny that...and I sent a test email to another of my email accounts...and still did not see anything...

But I thought that delivery receipts did not bother the recipients...

K

Kathleen Orland [MVP]

If they have their email client configured to prompt them for permission, they can deny. Also, they can configure email to automatically deny read receipts.

Many mail servers deny receipts. What may happen is if your recipient allows the receipt to go and their ISP denies the receipt, it sits in their Outbox trying to send and can't. This in turn backs up their Outbox so no email sends. Or they may see that they're constantly "sending 1 of 4 emails" when they know they sent only one. This is typically a stuck read receipt.

So while you can request a read receipt, there's no guarantee that you will receive one.
Microsoft

K

Kathleen Orland [MVP]

This also applies to delivery receipts, though delivery receipts are not denied by the recipient because they don't reach them. Microsoft

A

Arthruk

Thank you for this information..

What I am still confused about is that my ISP told me that they don't deny delivery receipts...so I sent several test emails from my main email to other email addresses I have -- and I still did not see a receipt...so why is that happening -- unless I was told inaccurate info from my Internet Service Provider....

I guess I may never know this and will assume that if I do not receipt any notice of an email not being able to be delivered then it did arrive to the receipient...

K

Kathleen Orland [MVP]

That is possible and it's also possible that the recipient's mail server doesn't support delivery receipts. Microsoft