My emails disappear from Inbox without me moving or deleting them

• Thread starter confusedbyoutlook2010
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

confusedbyoutlook2010

I'm confused. Installed outlook 2010 last week. Had something like outlook 2000 before that. Firstly it has set up 2 Inboxes and 2 Sent files representing old things before I installed 2010 and new things. Not sure I wanted this, but not too bothered BUT when I get a new email in my inbox it is quickly disappearing altogether. If I get there quickly and double click to open it I can do stuff with it like reply/forward or move to a folder, but if I don't it just completely (as far as I can see and search) disappears. In the first few days I think it only did it after I'd replied or forwarded which was still very annoying, but now it is doing it as soon as anything arrives. Why?

R

Russ Valentine

You should not attempt to install Outlook as an upgrade. If you do, you must create a new Outlook profile from scratch before it will work correctly.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918&Product=out2003

You will then need to open your old PST file and copy what you want from it into the new one that the new profile creates. Do not just reuse your old PST file. Too much has changed over 3 new versions.

Russ Valentine

C

confusedbyoutlook2010

Thank you for your help. I think I'm in this deeper than I thought as I did actually believe I'd uninstalled the old version. When the new one came up it seemed to just find all the old contacts and data (which I'd been expecting to drop in via Active synch of my PDA) so obviously something of the old outlook was still lingering. I'll follow the link you've put up here and see if I can sort it.

Many thanks

R

Russ Valentine

Even uninstalling a previous version won't help. All of your old profile settings remain as a hive in the Registry, and your new installation will use those settings when you start your new installation. Problem is they may no longer be valid for a newer version (and usualy aren't). Not sure why Microsoft keeps doing this. We've told them it isn't helpful.Russ Valentine

C

confusedbyoutlook2010

Hmm, thanks.

I followed the instructions and thought everything was good (I only had one inbox and one sent box; I had lost all my contact and notes details, but restored these using active synch from my PDA). All seemed fine. But. it's still doing a magic disappearing trick with incoming emails. (I have a laptop on which I installed 2010 at exactly the same time and this is (more or less) working and certainly not incinerating my emails - so I can see what I'm missing. I can see them come in and they survive for a couple of minutes or less and then just " pow" they disappear all by themselves whether they've been read or not.

R

Russ Valentine

Then you need to examine the View settings for your Inbox and any Rules you may have set for messages. For example, if your View is set to " Unread Messages" then they would disappear after they appear in the Reading Pane. If you have a Rule that moves them, they would disappear.

For future reference, syncing in no way restores your data and could get you in a lot of trouble. You should use the method I posted instead.

Russ Valentine

C

confusedbyoutlook2010

Thank you for your kind assistance. I'm going to close up for the night, but thank you. I have no rules set up. The View settings seemed like it might be the answer and I had different options available on my lap top as on my home PC which is a bit weird, but on the home PC there is one (under " Change View" that says " Hide Messages" . I've made sure I'm not on that view but the messages are still doing their magic trick of arriving, resting a short while and then vanishing (they don't even have the decency to go to the delete folder!).

I will check in again tomorrow to see if you have replied but I am very grateful for your most kind advice.

Denis

R

Russ Valentine

So now we have a desktop and a laptop. I'm having diffculty following your train of thought. To examine your Inbox View settings for the Outlook 2010 installation you would go to the View Tab, then View Settings and tell us what you see.Russ Valentine

C

confusedbyoutlook2010

Hi again, Russ

View tab, View Settings: Brings up a dialogue box headed " Advanced View Settings: Compact" . Under this are 7 buttons (Columns, Group By, Sort, Filter etc) and greyed out one for reset current view.

If I alternatively (to View Settings) hit " Change View" I have a choice of Compact, Single, Preview, although I have seen some different ones there in the last couple of days.

Is it possible that the laptop settings are taking over? (Someone suggested such). Before this installation I had outlook on both main machine and laptop and emails only arrived in one or the other depending on which was open/senidng/receiving at the time. This wasn't perfectly ideal but was somewhat logical. Now both set ups are receiving the emails, but the laptop is retaining them whereas the main machine is - as I say - losing them after about 2 minutes irrespective of whether I touch them, open them or anything else.

R

Russ Valentine

So how is the Filter option set? That's what we're looking for.Russ Valentine

C

confusedbyoutlook2010

Hi there. The filter option within this dialogue box is set to " Off" .

R

Russ Valentine

There are some other missing pieces to the puzzle, so we need more testimony from the witness. Since we've recently discovered that you have both a laptop and a desktop, is it also the case that these two Outlook installations access the same email account? If so what is the account type? Is it an IMAP account? If not, what settings have you specfied for how messages are handled in each installation in terms of removal from the mail server?Russ Valentine

C

confusedbyoutlook2010

Hello again, Russ. Good questions though I'm not sure of the answers. Yes, it's the same account on both machines and I have further identified that my main machine system is ONLY obliterating the messages IF and WHEN the lap top outlook is running. I now have a few emails in there that have stayed put for a day, because I've not opened the laptop, but they'll disappear (from my main machine's outlook) if I open up Outlook on the lap top - as that's what I worked out on Sunday and Monday was the pattern. I don't know if my email account is an IMAP nor really know what an IMAP is although it probably is IMAP because if I open file/account settings/email it says IMAP/SMTP under " Type"

R

Russ Valentine

Then I suspect Outlook is doing exactly what you've told it to according to the way you've set up your IMAP account. If these messages were already read by one installation they may not appear as new messages when you access the account with another installation. As that installation syncs with the server, they may briefly appear before Outlook recognizes they are not new messages for display.Russ Valentine

C

confusedbyoutlook2010

OK, thanks for this.

Do you know how to do either or both of these things then...

1. Reset things so that emails arrive and stay put in both versions of outlook (lap top and main machine). Albeit that this is potentially twice the maintenance for me this has a convenience factor of always knowing that an old email is available to me regardless of which machine I'm using.

2. Switch the settings so that I have the same experience/limitations/features as now, but making the main machine have the priority instead of the laptop

?

R

Russ Valentine

No. I've never used IMAP. Outlook was only finally optimized for IMAP support in Outlook 2010, so perhaps others who have run Outlook 2010 against an IMAP server can tell you if what you want to do is feasible. Acessing an IMAP account simultaneously with two different installations is certainly not something anyone would ever need to do.Russ Valentine

C

confusedbyoutlook2010

Ok, thanks, for this, Russ. I think I have now gone on a journey of much better understanding thanks to your help and at least now have an idea of how things are working and what to go and look for.

Many thanks

Denis

Status
Not open for further replies.