Virus Scan AOL Mail within Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dblv

If using Outlook to download and send AOL mail, do the IMAP messages and attachements get scanned real time as the POP3 msgs do? I am using Norton Internet Security 2010.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Yes, it should, and don't be surprised if that causes some problems for you. Antivirus scanning of inbound/outbound mail has been known, on occasion, to cause issues with duplicate or corrupted e-mail.

As long as you have a memory resident antivirus scanner, i.e. a program that sits in memory and looks for suspicious activity, which nearly all antivirus products are these days, you don't really NEED to have antivirus scanning at the e-mail client. Any thing naughty that you try to open in an e-mail message should get caught by the scanner at that time.

D

dblv

Thanks for the quick reply .... It's as I have always known but tend to question at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L message from my Norton's virus scan tells me my communications to my server has been interrupted when I do forwards. Using Outlook 1
J deleted some files infected with virus as advised by scan tool, but now cannot open outlook. Cannot locate scanpst.exe on my Vista based computer Using Outlook 2
C After a virus attack, The file... is not an Outlook data file (.pst) Using Outlook 1
G I can't open a URL link in from my email- Using Outlook 2007-Vista- AVG anti-virus Using Outlook 1
A mcafee anti virus with Forefront security protection Exchange Server Administration 4
F Outlook message has random colour symbols, like a party popper. Is this a virus? How do I get rid of it Using Outlook 1
R Can I get a Virus using the Outlook Web Access reading pane? Using Outlook 1
S Is this a virus?__ Using Outlook 3
R lost data thru virus attacks Using Outlook 1
S Attachments that can deliver a virus Exchange Server Administration 4
A How do I remove an add-in from my uninstalled virus protection program that was attached to Outlook. Using Outlook 7
B Emails to others from my email address that I did not send. Do I have a virus and/or how do I stop it? Using Outlook 1
J I had the beta test version and caught a virus and lost 2010 Using Outlook 1
A Anti virus/spam for exg 2010 Exchange Server Administration 9
D Virus - maybe Using Outlook 1
T suspected virus Using Outlook 1
Q Outlook connector "virus engine" problem Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D Body text of email disappears when I scan an attachment from printer to email Using Outlook 1
D Macro to scan email distribution list when replying Using Outlook 2
M Scan PST results Using Outlook 2
B Auto scan/send Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
R how to scan individual email messages Outlook 2010 64bit Using Outlook 1
H Scan PST/Inbox Repair to Reports Fatal Error While Scanning File Using Outlook 1
F scan.pst Using Outlook 2
J Submitting Outlook New Messages To Be Sent By FAX Using Windows FAX And Scan Facility From Outlook Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2007 crashes - Scan PST fails to complete. Using Outlook 2
F Scan Inbox with EWS php Exchange Server Administration 0
M 0x80040600 error to scan.pstexe but then will not open the file to repair Using Outlook 2
F Scan to Email failing Using Outlook 1
O When I try to open Outlook, I get a message saying the program is corrupted and it directs me to use scanpst.exe. However, I can't run the scan, becau Using Outlook 1
A Can I have my computer automatically dial the phone number right from outlook? Also, can I scan business cards direct into outlook? Using Outlook 1
T When I scan a document to Word (some multipage docs) then try to email the document as an attachment, the email never leaves my Outbox. Using Outlook 2
J How do I scan and insert into Outlook 2007? Using Outlook 3
K Scan / Update Uncompleted Tasks Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
K HOW TO FIX AOL MAIL ISSUES? Using Outlook 0
P AOL messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Diane Poremsky Online Services in Outlook: Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud, AOL, GoDaddy New Slipstick.com Articles 1
P 2013 AOL IMAP Sync Errors Using Outlook 5
R AOL 521 5.2.1 rejection Using Outlook 4
C AOL/IMAP Issue Using Outlook 6
K Aol and remote devices Using Outlook 1
G Deleting AOL Emails form Outlook 2010 or 2013 Using Outlook 1
J problems with viewing aol emails in Outlook Using Outlook 3
V Setting up Outlook 2013 for AOL (POP3) Account Using Outlook 16
S Outlook 2010 and aol Using Outlook 1
D 2007 Outlook no longer connecting with AOL account. Help, small business! Using Outlook 1
B my outlook has stopped receiving and sending e mails to and from my aol e mail Using Outlook 3
J suddenly can't sync with AOL Using Outlook 1
C How come when I send e-mails using Microsoft Outlook and I am in my aol address, the e-mails I send go to my sent box in my Personal Folder rather tha Using Outlook 2
U 2 easy questions, Outlook 10 and an AOL IMAP type account Using Outlook 4