Looking for suggestions regarding a multi-site high availability/disaster resistant design

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Philip Colmer

A bit of background about our current site and Exchange 2007 design first ...

We have two sites connected by a direct 100Mb link (planned to be upgraded to 1Gb). The original Exchange 2007 & AD design was for an AD site with Exchange 2007 in each office, configured for the users in each office. SCR is used to replicate the mailboxes from Site A to Site B, and vice-versa.

In recent testing of SCR, when we reconfigured the home location for each user's mailbox, we found that there were issues. I think that the main problem was that we made the AD configuration change and then there was a huge lag before the new setting was in place. I suspect that the lag was caused by site-to-site replication timings but we ultimately decided to "collapse" the two sites into one, given that the direct link could be classed as a high quality link as far as AD is concerned.

The downside of making that AD topology change is that Exchange now believes that users should be able to connect to any CAS server regardless of which office they are in. Fine in theory but it complicates external access and this is the crux of my design dilemma when it comes to Exchange 2010.

From a DAG perspective, it seems quite straightforward, primarily because users don't connect directly to the mailbox any more and so the active copy of a user's mailbox can be on any of the Exchange mailbox servers.

From a Hub perspective, that is also quite straightforward as you can use multiple MX records to try to deliver the email and if one hub fails or becomes isolated because of a site outage, it isn't a big issue.

CAS causes me concerns, though. I want to make access to the CAS servers resilient and so building at least two of them in a given office and load balancing them would seem to be the optimal design. However, if an office goes offline, what is to stop Outlook still trying to connect to them as the servers would be in the same logical site?

Am I over-complicating things, or over-looking something?

--Philip

B

Busbar [MVP]

The same problem in 2007 will appear with 2010, if you configure a single AD site for the 2 sites, and configure CAS array, users from site 1 might connect to their mailbox using a CAS server in site b and vice versa.

for my I will suggest creating 2 sites, 2 CAS array 1 array per site, and then if CAS servers fails in site a you can failover to site be by configuring the DNS to point to the CAS array in site b or configure the RPCCLIENTACCESSARRAY.

Regards, Mahmoud Magdy Watch Arabic Level 300 Videos about Exchange 2010 here: http://vimeo.com/user3271816 Read pretty advanced Exchange stuff I post here: http://www.enowconsulting.com/ese/blog.asp, follow my blog: http://autodiscover.wordpress.com , corp blog: http://ingazat.wordpress.com, Follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/_busbar and if you Liked my post please mark it as helpful and accept it as an answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Looking to get the Recipient email address (or even the "friendly name") from an email I am replying to using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Looking to filter (or just find/search) for only messages that the sender has sent more than 1 messa Using Outlook 2
G Looking for help with our Organization Forms Library Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
peacepanda How to save attachment looking at the attachment name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Looking for help - want to try an alternative to Outlook? Outlook Wishlist 0
D Looking to move away from exchange to outlook.com Using Outlook 4
B Looking for Outlook 2013 update for Send Drafts Macro Using Outlook 4
Aussie Looking for Outlook macro to Copy Recipient Names into Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Looking for options and best practices for an Edge Server (Exchange or not) Exchange Server Administration 0
M Looking for trainer in Business Contact Manager BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
O looking to bring in all my folders from Outlook Express (XP) to Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 3
B Looking for an add-in or a way to send automatic replies based off a list Using Outlook 2
R Outlook Template: Looking to distribute a VBA Outlook template to other people Using Outlook 1
J Looking for a solution (maybe an add-in) to easily track email conversations Using Outlook 3
I Looking for a productivity add-in similar to "Nostalgy" for Thunderbird Using Outlook 5
Q Looking for Outlook 2010 Close Event Id Exchange Server Administration 1
C Looking for way to tie a Business Contact to more than one Account BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
J OL2003 Macro disables itself - looking for way to automate 'enable' Using Outlook 2
U Looking for a person/company that we can PAY for Outlook 2003 tech service Using Outlook 0
T I am looking for a Microsoft Outlook Email Stationery download? Using Outlook 5
P Looking for Christmas Theme (thmx file) Using Outlook 5
D Microsoft Outlook not operating and is clouded looking Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2007 at odd times shuts down then states it is looking for problem then starts up again Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2003 (when looking at emails shows my name and not who sent the emails) Using Outlook 2
W "Looking for credential tiles..." when connecting to Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook wont load - looking for microsoft exchange Using Outlook 1
M I am looking for support options for taskmanager in 2010 Using Outlook 1
S Looking for feedback on this CAS Array testing plan Exchange Server Administration 2
R Complicated mixed exchange environment, looking to move to 2010! Exchange Server Administration 8
C Looking for Collaboration / Communication Tools Using Outlook 4
R Looking for my BCM backup files BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
B Looking for email address under ItemSend event Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
S Looking for client-side method (Outlook 2007/Exchange 2007) for users to delete Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Looking for a Utility for Editting An Exported Rules (.rwz) File Using Outlook 6
P Outlook looking for Copy of Outlook.pst Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
U looking for feedback on installation process and on eMarking Assis Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Custom Calendar Print Suggestions? Using Outlook 0
C Outlook Autocomplete suggestions showing wrong person's name against an email address Using Outlook 0
A Outlook 2019 having issues with 'people search' and not making suggestions in email To: etc Using Outlook 12
T Source of Outlook 2016 Address field dropdown "Other Suggestions" Using Outlook 3
D Command Button code will not execute. Any suggestions Please. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Maybear Sudden change in Outlook, no image display, email no longer offers suggestions for address Using Outlook 8
A Suggestions on ways to let apps create appointments in any user's calendar? Exchange Server Administration 0
G Suggestions for Organizing Email Using Outlook 1
P Contact suggestions not showing up Using Outlook 3
R When I open my 2010 email program it always goes to error. I must reenter it and then I can get any new messages....any suggestions for correcting... Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2010 keeps crashing! Unchecking the add-ins doesn't work - any other suggestions?__Sandi Using Outlook 2
J "Outlook cannot display this view" I tried following Diane's suggestions in past posts...but still Using Outlook 1
S Suggestions for syncing unicode contacts - all data must be sync'd... Using Outlook 2
P Lingering contact suggestions that appear when addressing an email after the contact has been deleted? Using Outlook 1