Odd IMAP Issue; New Mail Automatically Marked for Deletion

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paul Newell

Hi All,

One of my users reported an odd issue this morning.
She's still on Outlook 2003 (we're hoping to upgrade to 2010 before the end of the year) and she has two mail accounts; one for my in-house Exchange 2003 server and one for her department's mandated hosted Exchange server (they must use IMAP if they connect through Outlook). The department she works in is affliated with a national stock-brockerage that requires them to do their business-related e-mail with them, hence the " Mandated" Exchange server.

She called me today and said that a new message she received was marked for deletion (line through it) before she could even read it; it was marked as soon as it came in to her Outlook's view.
First thing, I asked if she had any papers on her laptop's keyboard; no, she didn't. Next I looked at her " Rules" to see if she had anything set up that might be inadvertently marking the message as it arrived (because it may be " Moved" to a different folder); no, she had no rules set up at all.
The only odd thing about this message was that it had a subject, but not body; a completely blank message.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this one? I couldn't see anything odd in her Outlook or the OWA for either of her accounts.

Thanks in advance! :)

S

Sally Tang

Hi,

If she goes to a web mail, are these emails there?

Also, one of the quirks of IMAP is that messages are neither deleted immediately when you press Del nor moved to a Trash folder but " marked for deletion" until you purge the folder. In the default view used by Outlook for IMAP accounts, this has the consequence that " deleted" messages are displayed grayed out and with a strike-through line.

Can you see the strike-through text?

If you are unable to see the strike-through text, try this:

· Select View | Current View | Hide Messages Marked for Deletion from the menu.

· In Outlook 2003, select View | Arrange By | Current View, make sure it is unchecked: Hide Messages Marked for Deletion.

&middot; Select View | Reading Pane | <desired setting> to re-enable the preview pane.

Sally Tang

P

Paul Newell

Hi Sally,

Thank you for the reply.

No, they are not visible anywhere in her OWA (Inbox, Deleted Items, and no " Custom" folders), and as I mentioned in my original post, the messages are indeed marked for deletion with the " Strike Through" (grayed with a line through the text).
The only oddity I noticed with the one message she told me about (although she said this wasn't the first time) was that it had no body; the message was blank.

Thanks again!

S

Sally Tang

Hi Paul,

Can she receive other message properly? if she can, try to help her scan her system for viruses to see if any viruses effected.

Sally Tang

P

Paul Newell

Hi Sally,

Yes, she can receive other messages properly, which is why this is so bizarre.

I hadn't considered it being a virus/malware issue, so I just ran a full scan on her system, but it came back clean (except for cookies).

Any other thoughts? I'm really scratching my head here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
PetraTech Odd Folder View Problem Using Outlook 3
V Calendar event acting odd Using Outlook 7
C Odd error message not found in Google search Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2013 - Odd Sync behaviour Using Outlook 1
V Odd data file? Using Outlook 5
D This is odd Using Outlook 2
O How do I get rid of odd formatting of new e-mails? Using Outlook 3
U Odd behaviour for auto-receive Using Outlook 2
C Open message is stuck minimized -Odd behavior when replying to a message(2010) Using Outlook 1
V Odd Situation with Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
S Odd message delays... Exchange Server Administration 6
B Outlook 2007 at odd times shuts down then states it is looking for problem then starts up again Using Outlook 1
P Odd OWA Issue; Messages Sending as HTML Code Using Outlook 3
J Exchange 2010 behind TMG 2010 - odd per-user problem Exchange Server Administration 4
D Test-SystemHealth yeilds odd warning Exchange Server Administration 3
R Odd Directory Services Event Errors Exchange Server Administration 6
3 Odd issues with deleting messges Using Outlook 3
P Unable to print Calendar when choosing to print 'odd' or 'even' pages. Using Outlook 1
B Odd .pstst files Using Outlook 19
H Odd symbol when stripping characters using vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Managing Gmail "All Mail" sync issues with IMAP Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2016 Moving IMAP emails to Exchange Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2016 - controlling IMAP OST size with Group Policy not working Using Outlook 1
N Sent emails not reflected in all IMAP Folders Using Outlook 4
V Scheduled backup of imap account Using Outlook 7
glnz How set up new IMAP on Outlook-Office 365 and merge in pst from Outlook 2003 for same two email accounts? Using Outlook 5
David Langer Outlook 2016 (365) How to restore the ability to Re-Map iCloud IMAP Folders Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2013 Yahoo IMAP Sync problems Using Outlook 1
P IMAP Folders Dialog Box Using Outlook 1
O How to recover rules after switch from POP3 to IMAP Using Outlook 2
O Benefits of Exchange over IMAP and why would I choose Exchange? Using Outlook 2
P Desktop doesn't index Outlook IMAP files, laptop Outlook does index those same IMAP files Using Outlook 2
B What is best IMAP .OST file to .PST file converter solutions? Using Outlook 1
I IMAP - are emails dynamically fetched from server as required? Using Outlook 2
I Convert POP3 account (PST) to IMAP (.OST) Using Outlook 3
Mark Foley Color Categories on IMAP mail lost when installing new Windows 7 workstation Using Outlook 12
CWM030 Outlook 2016 with imap emails keep Resurrecting themselves? Using Outlook 5
CWM030 Archiving ON the imap server Using Outlook 3
Y Outlook not displaying all imap emails Using Outlook 5
Y IMAP errors with Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2016 IMAP Connection Returns All Email but outlook.com does NOT Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
Z Can't delete IMAP folder Using Outlook 2
GaryW88 2016 Archiving IMAP keeping mail on Gmail Server Using Outlook 1
N Error 0x80090326 when trying to setup IMAP account on Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
M cannot change delivery folders with IMAP accounts Using Outlook 0
E 365 Outlook changed from POP3 to IMAP,all contacts lost Using Outlook 3
O POP3 vs iMAP? Using Outlook 1
B How to 'really' delete IMAP emails? Using Outlook 6
K IMAP Server Wants to alert you to the following: cannpt rename system folder Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Setting up an Outlook.com IMAP account New Slipstick.com Articles 0