I've made a .pst file, and imported my old file into it, how do I add an email address?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveeUK

Hi folks. I'm trying to setup my business email account in Outlook 2010.

I have:

made a new profile made a new .pst file in the profile imported my old .pst file into the new one

How do I add an email to the .pst file without the email address creating a new .pst file?

Please help, I didn't have much hair left before I started this... now I daren't look.... :)

G

GordonBP

Firs of all, importing a pst file into a pst file causes all SORTS of problems and is never the way to migrate data from one Outlook to another. . What made you do that?

Secondly, what version of Outlook are we talking about and what type of email account? (POP, IMAP, Exchange etc....)

If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

You're going at this backwards. What you need to do is create an Outlook profile, that has the e-mail account in it, and uses the PST file you created (importing wasn't the best way to get the data over but that's water under the bridge now) as the default storage location.

When you start Outlook what e-mail address does it try to connect to? What PST file does it open?

A

Alexey Kuznetsov

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought he wanted to create a new pst based on old one without creating a new account.

S

SteveeUK

Hi GordonBP and thanks for the reply.

I did start with Outlook 2010. I had to reinstall my machine I used easy transfer but there was no Outlook 2010 data transferred. Luckily I had a backup of my .pst file.

After the Windows 7 reinstall I installed Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus, which includes Outlook 2010.

I'm not sure how I managed it but I had two .pst files, one with the data in it and one with the email address.

I tried and tried to combine the two with no success.

I finally decided to try and make a new file and import the data into but that didn't work either.

All I am after is to have a .pst file with one email address and my old folders etc.

any help appreciated.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

So you start Outlook and you are getting your e-mail, but you have TWO PST files currently in that profile. The old one that has the data and the new one which is currently where your new e-mail is going?

If that's correct then try going to File | Account Settings | Account Settings and on the Data Files tab select your PST file that has all the old data in it and set it as the Default.

Then you'll want to copy (drag and drop) the e-mails that came into that new PST file to the " old" one. Once you're satisfied that you've gotten all the data out of the wrong PST file into the one you want to use then just right click that other PST and choose Close.

THat should leave you with just the PST file that has all your old data and that PST file should now be set as the Default in Outlook.

G

GordonBP

PST files and Email addresses (acounts) are two different things.

AFAIK in 2010 if you add an email address the default setting is to create a new set of folders (pst file) but there is an option to use the global delivery location instead.

(I don't have 2010 so I may be talking out of my proverbial - no doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong...)

If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

S

SteveeUK

Hi Ben. to be honest I have so many different .pst files on my desktop and in folders I haven't a clue what I am doing.now when I open Outlook it opens the new one I created with my old data in there. but no email address.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

O.K., let's simplify. Close Outlook. Create a brand new Outlook profile. Troubleshooting Outlook -http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook/tsol.htm#newprof

Set it to use the e-mail address you want to use.

Then go to Properties and see if you can add the PST file you want as the default message store. Remove any other PST files you see listed, just attach the PST file that has all your old data in it.

Set that to be the default Outlook profile, save/close that applet. Then start Outlook. Does it start with your PST file containing the old data and using the e-mail address you want?

S

SteveeUK

Hi Ben. thanks again for your help with this.

I have done as you said and I now have (please see the pic below)

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9514/pstm.jpg

Am I missing something?

the email address I setup is there " test"

but I want the emails to come into the main pst file, not its own folders.

Steve

G

GordonBP

Hi Ben. thanks again for your help with this.

I have done as you said and I now have (please see the pic below)

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9514/pstm.jpg

Am I missing something?

the email address I setup is there " test"

but I want the emails to come into the main pst file, not its own folders.

Steve

Did you set up the email " test" as an IMAP account, or POP?If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

S

SteveeUK

Argh. is that the problem... it keeps setting itself up as an IMAP account without giving me the option of pop3.

An IMAP account is what I need though because it has to work with my iPhone.

G

GordonBP

Then unfortunately, you are stuck with a separate pst file......AFAIK.If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Yes, unfortunately Gordon is right. I don't think you can share PST files with an IMAP account. Sorry, I should have asked if this was POP3 or IMAP to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.