Hosting two domains

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wade128

I have an Exchange Server 2010 Enterprise. Two domains, ie: abc.com and abcfoundation.org. Both were pop3 and hosted offsite. The abcfoundation.org email addresses will be going away. The main email addresses will be abc.com. I have changed the mx record for the foundation email addresses to pint to the new server. They are receiving emails and can send emails to anyone outside the organization. When they send to abc.com, the email goes into the users exchange mailbox, instead of going out to the pop3 host mailboxes. I plan to change the other mx record later, but need the other group to receive their email in their pop3 accounts. Help is urgently needed.

Thank you,

Wade Harris

S

Sembee [MVP]

The behaviour you are seeing is to be expected.
If you have accounts with the email addresses on them, then Exchange will deliver to those mailboxes. You cannot force Exchange to send the email out to an external account.

Therefore you have two options.

1. Remove the email addresses from the accounts and then configure Exchange to share the SMTP address space.

2. Stop using the POP3 mailboxes.

This isn't a problem unique to Exchange - all email servers will first attempt to match a mailbox with their known local accounts.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

W

Wade128

Could I change the email address policy and the accepted domains policy temporarily?Wade Harris

D

Dave Kawula - TriCon

Wade - Sembee is correct the SMTP Categorizer in Exchange first checks to see if you are the authoritative domain. If you are it will not route the mail off the exchange server by default. You need to change it from an Accepted Domain to a remote domain until you want the traffic to come back inside of your exchange organization.

Please understand these comments are made with limited information -- But this sounds like your issue.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Daave Kawula Principal Consultant TriCon Technical Services Inc www.triconts.com dkawula@triconts.com www.insidetheregistry.com

W

Wade128

Tried to remove it from the accepted domains and move to remote domains, but it would not let me because of email address policy.Wade Harris

K

KevinYY

You can temporarily turn off the email address policy and then perform Dave's suggestions again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S hosting multiple smtp domains outlook anywhere Exchange Server Administration 1
G Hosting multiple email domains for receive and send, within a single AD? Exchange Server Administration 3
B New hosting server & changing IMAP accounts Using Outlook 2
D Question Re: Changing Exchange Profile due to Hosting Change Exchange Server Administration 4
M Outlook License from Hosting company Using Outlook 1
R hosting a single domain name, but keep all users 'seperate' Exchange Server Administration 3
S The public folder store where the offline address book is hosted was not detected. The hosting serve Exchange Server Administration 11
F Why is an unmounted Exchange Server hosting mailboxes after having configured a DAG but haven't brou Exchange Server Administration 9
W Install SP1 in hosting mode on existing environment Exchange Server Administration 4
M How do I lateral folders from one web hosting account to a microsoft account with the same e-mail address? Using Outlook 1
R Hosting Exchange For Remote Users in another domain Exchange Server Administration 1
P Exchange 2010 SP1 /hosting: error on attachment higher than 2Mo : 5.3.4 SMTPSEND.OverAdvertisedSize Exchange Server Administration 0
W Exchange 2010 Server Hosting OWA for Exchange 2007 Clients? Exchange Server Administration 4
R Outlook-Anywhere issue on Exchange 2010 SP1 Hosting setup Using Outlook 5
B email hosting site Using Outlook 1
J Can't install Exchange 2010 /hosting Exchange Server Administration 4
P Hosting Email for Customers Exchange Server Administration 1
Y hosting BCM database at office online / workspace BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
C blocking two or more word domains separated by period/dot Using Outlook 4
J Automatic color category according to variable domains Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C blocking domains Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky Outlook.com Custom Domains New Slipstick.com Articles 4
K adding more rules to 'different domains check' macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Check for different domains macro to be triggered by specific domains only Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K can't send email to other domains Using Outlook 1
C Multiple domains into one email account Using Outlook 1
T Autorespond only to e-mails sent from certain domains: Using Outlook 2
D Users changing domains within a corp, but need to keep old address. Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 2007 Proxy settings changing back to one of our domains Using Outlook 2
D Setup Outlook '07 to Send/Receive mail from 2 Domains??? Using Outlook 11
G Outlook 2010 multiple AD domains Using Outlook 2
S PrepareDomain fails on child domains Exchange Server Administration 11
M Re: How to force routing between two internal smtp domains across Two Edge servers Exchange Server Administration 7
M How to force routing between two internal smtp domains across Two Edge servers Exchange Server Administration 3
R mailboxes for multiple domains Using Outlook 4
2 muliptle external domains to access one CAS server Exchange Server Administration 4
I add the domains into AD Domains and Services windows server 2008 Exchange Server Administration 2
I using multiple domains and one exchnage server Exchange Server Administration 22
A how to send email to a differrent domains? Exchange Server Administration 9
A Exchange permission problem across different domains Exchange Server Administration 2
P 3 domains for the one microsoft exchange/blackberry user Using Outlook 1
R Multiple Domains routing through multiple send connectors Exchange Server Administration 5
V Email SMTP Address on accepted domains Exchange Server Administration 3
J Transport rules do not seem to know what domains are inside my organization Exchange Server Administration 6
Y Outlook - Email for two different domains? Using Outlook 3
O New Exchange 2010 setup with two domains and Error in setup Exchange Server Administration 3
O Postmaster Messages (NDRs) for two domains and Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
R can't receive or send email to domains att.net, and bellsouth.net.__ Using Outlook 6
T Help: Migration from a W2K domain with sub-domains & Exchange 2003 SP2 to a new domain W2K8/Exchange 2010 SP1. Exchange Server Administration 4
C Multiple Domains in one Active Directory Structure Exchange Server Administration 4