Error after trying to remove server from DAG

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin Pelt

I was jumping around adding and removing DAG's and must have mucked up something because now I am getting this error when trying to remove a server from this DAG group. Basically it is saying that

"The following server in the Windows Failover Cluster are not in Active Directory: nameofserver. This is usually the result of an incomplete membership change (add or remove) of the databases availability group."

I think I may have removed the DAG computer in active directory before I removed this DAG through the EMC which is causing this error. Any ideas to back out of this?

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Is this a test environment? :)

Anyway, these commands can be useful. However, use at your own risk. If you have any doubts, call Microsoft support.

Remove-DatabaseAvailabilityGroupServer with the ConfigurationOnly switch.

If that gets it out of the DAG, but you find you can not re-add it back, you could try:

Cluster node nodename /force ( on the server you want to add back) to clean it up.

Running this command will also stop and disable the cluster service on that server.

You should also run it from the DOS box as Administrator.

Note, running any of these steps can have bad effects and make you very sad. I make no claims that they will fix your issue. (Have I hedged enough?)

K

Kevin Pelt

Unfortunately this is NOT a test environment. I got a tad careless obviously. :(

K

Kevin Pelt

Is this a test environment? :)

Anyway, these commands can be useful. However, use at your own risk. If you have any doubts, call Microsoft support.

Remove-DatabaseAvailabilityGroupServer with the ConfigurationOnly switch.

If that gets it out of the DAG, but you find you can not re-add it back, you could try:

Cluster node nodename /force ( on the server you want to add back) to clean it up.

Running this command will also stop and disable the cluster service on that server.

You should also run it from the DOS box as Administrator.

Note, running any of these steps can have bad effects and make you very sad. I make no claims that they will fix your issue. (Have I hedged enough?)

This did the trick. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.