Outlook Synchronizing Folders - What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jimns

Please don't bother to respond to this post unless you know EXACTLY what Outlook is doing when it is Synchronizing Folders and are either willing and capable of explaining it clearly or can lead us to a source that can. This forum seems to be loaded with threads that have been stopped cold by well meaning (perhaps smarta-- or uninformed?) responders who assume that the questioner already knows what it is.
A simple search of this forum (or Google) will show that there is a genuine need for basic information about the subject.

1. What exactly is Outlook doing when it is Synchronizing Folders??

2. Under what circumstances is it needed?

3. If there are circumstances when it is not needed, how do you turn it off in Outlook 2010, 2007, and 2003?

4. Why does searching Help in Outlook or Office not explain what it is? Is this something that developers have overlooked or are every reasonable person and my grandmother supposed to intuitively know what it is?

G

GordonBP

Synchronising normally occurs when the email account type is NOT POP, ie it's IMAP or Exchange.

Here's a page on POP andhere's a page on IMAP.

Email accounts other than POP tend to MIRROR the folders on the mail server rather than downloading and deleting from, the mail server Inbox, hence the need to synchronise rather than to just download.

J

jimns

I have 5 POP accounts and 2 IMAP accounts that my Windows 7/Outlook 2010 client checks. When I hit "Send/Receive," Outlook "Synchronizes subscribed folders" for each IMAP account.

But does Outlook synchronize folders for some reason at times other than the designated Send/Receive time (every 10 minutes in my case)? I'm not having a problem with it at this time - I now have so much computing power that I probably wouldn't notice if I did - just trying to understand it.

Also, I've only had IMAP accounts for the last year. Before that my client was Outlook 2007 running under XP Pro and my system regularly slowed to a crawl for long periods while Outlook said it was "Synchronizing Folders." I had 7 or 8 POP accounts at the time but no IMAP accounts. Most of the email server/providers were PureHost, one was Coolhandle, and one swbell.net. So what was it "Synchronizing" if there were no IMAP accounts?

Thanks for weighing in on this for me, Gordon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Can you stop "Microsft Office Outlook is synchronizing folders"? Using Outlook 2
C Synchronizing Outlook and Outlook Connector (Hotmail) with folders for offline laptop use Using Outlook 2
B Synchronizing outlook folders Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2007 stopped synchronizing today. Two Error Messages: (1) Error Synchronizing Folders, Error 8de00002, (2) Error Synchronizing mail, Error 4 Using Outlook 3
G Synchronizing subscribed Gmail folders + Outlook 2010 keeps crashing Using Outlook 2
G Outlook 2010 Synchronizing subscribed folders problem Using Outlook 3
W How do you stop Microsoft Outlook from synchronizing folders? Using Outlook 9
O Outlook 365 - Tasks are not synchronizing? Using Outlook 7
Diane Poremsky Synchronizing Outlook with a Smartphone New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Synchronizing Outlook on Two Computers New Slipstick.com Articles 0
P Outlook Keeps Synchronizing IMAP "Sent Mail" Folder Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2013 stopped synchronizing with my IMAP account Using Outlook 0
T Outlook Error synchronizing your folder hierarchy : 80041050. Send Not Receive Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
B synchronizing categories of contacts between outlook 2010 and business contact manager Using Outlook 1
B Synchronizing files in outlook takes forever Using Outlook 2
B synchronizing error with windows 7 and office outlook 2010. error 4102 Using Outlook 2
R Error when synchronizing using Outlook Using Outlook 7
S Outlook 2010 fails to complete synchronizing headers with IMAP account Using Outlook 1
T Problem with Outlook 2007 (running Vista) There was an error synchronizing your folder hierarchy. Er Using Outlook 1
M Error synchronizing Hotmail account with Outlook; error 4102 Using Outlook 3
P Stop Outlook 2010 synchronizing with GMail Using Outlook 5
D Outlook Hotmail Connector (32 bit) - error synchronizing your mail account (Error: 4102, then Error Using Outlook 1
C stop outlook 2003 from synchronizing files Using Outlook 6
Y synchronizing two microsoft outlook address books Using Outlook 2
D All of a sudden outlook is not synchronizing with my hotmail/windows live account - Using Outlook 2
O office 2007 with outlook connector 12.1: synchronizing emails daily in a wrong way Using Outlook 2
W Problem synchronizing hotmailaccount in outlook Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2007 Synchronizing problems Using Outlook 4
H Have latest Outlook Connector. Not synchronizing into Outlook 2007 Inbox. Using Outlook 4
N Synchronizing group exchange 2007/Outlook 2007 with iPhone? Using Outlook 3
C Synchronizing Outlook on my office computer and my home computer Using Outlook 1
M Synchronizing Outlook 2010 using Yahoo Mail Using Outlook 3
M synchronizing error after upgrading to Outlook 2007 - limited the number of items you can open simul Using Outlook 8
W Outlook contacts not synchronizing with iPAQ BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
H Outlook 2019 Certificate error Using Outlook 0
B Outlook 2013 erratically deleting original file that is attached Using Outlook 0
V Outlook Forms: Formatting a Label with 2 different styles Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Outlook 2016 Outlook randomly unhides from taskbar Using Outlook 3
X Using Outlook 2013 and Outlook 365 Using Outlook 1
V Date and/or time error in Outlook Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Sending email from Office 365 alias in Outlook Using Outlook 4
B Spam folder not showing in Outlook Using Outlook 5
ThinkToday Calculate reply time of outlook mail Using Outlook 1
M Microsoft 365 Outlook keeps requesting password on Local Account Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i I think it may be time to upgrade from Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
K Outlook 2016 Outlook, Chrome, and Clio Using Outlook 5
O Outlook tasks - Add text column with multiple lines Using Outlook 3
A Run-time error '430' on certain emails when trying to set "Outlook.mailitem" as "ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
HarvMan Outlook 365 PST Report Using Outlook 1