Duplicate default folders (Calendar, RSS Feed etc) when using Outlook 2007 on WinXP and Win7 boxes. I am not using PST files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JennAnnG

In our school, our users move from computer to computer to view their emails in Outlook (MS Exchange 2003). This worked fine until we started using Win7 boxes along with our WinXP boxes. We have the same version of Outlook 2007 on all machines, and we do not use PST files.

Since our users have started using a mixture of Win7 and WinXP boxes, going back and forth, we've seen more than 30 people experience duplication of their default Outlook folders (Calendar, RSS Feeds, Contacts, Tasks etc). The latest - empty - folders are considered the new defaults, which means they cannot be deleted. My users have to move their old items to these new folders and then delete the old ones. Some of my users have up to SIX duplicates of default folders, it's a real mess. I need to stop this from happening.

I recreated this issue in the following way. I logged in as a test user on a WinXP box, opened Outlook 2007, logged out. Then I tried logging in on other machines. The first time I logged in onto a Win7 machine, I didn't get the issue oddly enough, but a few days later, when I tried again, logging in on Win7, opening Outlook 2007, then logging back onto the WinXP caused duplication of the default folders. Logging into yet another new Win7 box caused another set of default folders to appear, so now I have 3 of each. It seems to trigger on a machine where I open Outlook the first time and it populates folders. No error messages seem consistent with this occurence. My Account Settings and Data File Management setup look perfectly normal...

G

Gen Lin

Hi,

Are you using a remote profile?

Test the problem in exchange online mode:

a. Click Tools->Options->Mail setup tab->E-mail Accounts.

b. Highlight the outlook account, click Change.

c. Uncheck the "Use Cached Exchange mode" checkbox and restart the outlook.

J

JennAnnG

Thanks for the response! Yes, we are using remote profiles.

I set up two test machines (WinXP and Win7) with cached exchange mode turned off, and repeatedly opening the test user's outlook on them did not cause any multiplication of those folders. So this could be a lead to the cause of the problem. It'd be really nice to know why this is happening, though, or if there is another method from stopping it. Disabling cached exchange mode over the entire school is not a trivial change, I'm concerned about the knock-on effect on our network or on Exchange.

Any ideas why this issue linked to cached exchange mode is arising, particularly why it seems linked to Win7? Some difference in the way the remote profiles connect, maybe...?

Thanks!

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

I've seen this mainly on laptops with out of date NIC firmware.

J

JennAnnG

In this instance, the problem seems to have been triggered when we introduced brand new Win7 machines into our pool. Could be the difference between our old machines and the new machines, though, whether the difference is OS or hardware related.

Status
Not open for further replies.