Cannot upgrade "Public Folders" & "GAL"

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DarrenWCC

Hello

I have a problem with upgrading Public Folders and Default Global Address List. Others have posed this issue here but it has not been resolved so I am raising it again in the hope that someone can please help.

My cmdlets and errors are:

Set-AddressList " Public Folders" -RecipientFilter {RecipientType -eq " PublicFolder" }
Invoke-Command : Cannot bind parameter 'RecipientFilter' to the target. Exception setting " RecipientFilter" : " Invalid filter syntax. For a description of the filter paraeter syntax see the command help.
" RecipientType -eq PublicFolder" at position 19."
At C:\Users\DAdmin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Exchange\RemotePowerShell\mail.wcc.qld.edu.au\mail.wcc.qld.edu.au.psm1:43213 char:29
+ $scriptCmd = { & <<<< $script:InvokeCommand `
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: :)) [Set-AddressList], ParameterBindingException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterBindingFailed,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.SetAddressList

Set-GlobalAddressList " Default Global Address List" -RecipientFilter {(Alias -ne $null -and (ObjectClass -eq 'user' -or ObjectClass -eq 'contact' -or ObjectClass -eq 'msExchSystemMailbox' -or ObjectClass -eq 'msExchDynamicDistributionList' -or ObjectClass -eq 'group' -or ObjectClass -eq 'publicFolder'))}
You can't peform this operation on default global address list " Default Global Address List" .
+ CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (\Default Global Address List:ADObjectId) [Set-GlobalAddressList], InvalidOperationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 7804D023,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfigurationTasks.SetGlobalAddressList

Any help to resolve will be greatly appreciated. By the way, I have tried double and single quotes in thet cmdlet.

Thanks
Darren

S

Steve Goodman

Hi Darren,

For the first issue, have you tried it on one of the Exchange servers, and if unsuccessful, it might be worth trying on an Exchange server, opening a non exchange, elevated powershell prompt, then running Add-PSSnapIn Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.E2010 then trying again. May at least rule out any remoting issues.

To address the second issue check out this post by Paul Cunningham.

Steve

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

D

DarrenWCC

Steve

Interesting. For the Public Folder issue, I found another link which had the cmdlet text:
Set-AddressList " Public Folders" -RecipientFilter { RecipientType -eq 'PublicFolder' }
When I ran that with the slightly different spacing, it upgraded the Public Folders and I can now open their properties in Exch 2010 EMC.

For the GAL, I followed the instructions in the referenced post. In adsiedit, I set msExchRecipientFilterFlags from 2 to 0 then ran the Set-GlobalAddressList cmdlet which ran quickly and without errors. As instructed, I then set msExchRecipientFilterFlags back to 3 (not 2 as originally set). Out of interest, I re-ran the Set-GlobalAddressList cmdlet again and got the same error. However, my reading of the post indicates that you can set this value only once. Apparently I set it after the work-around in adsiedit and then cannot set it again (as expected??).

Does this mean the GAL is now upgraded? How can I check?

I am thinking it is all done...!!!

Thanks
Darren

Status
Not open for further replies.