Windows Explorer locks e-mail messages when it saves them

Status
Not open for further replies.

maringuy

Member
I have been unable to find my frustrating problem posted on the many forums I’ve visited. I'm using Outlook 2010 & Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits. The problem starts when I attempt to save e-mail messages to my PC. I'm using the default .msg file extension option. The file that results does not have the normal "envelope" icon. Instead, it’s a “blank page” icon with a corner folded in. What’s worse is these files cannot be opened either by clicking on them or trying to open them with Outlook. Nothing happens. And when I return to Outlook, I see that Outlook is hung up and I have to close it via the Task Manager. To make matters worse, I’ve also discovered that every e-mail message that I've saved on my PC over the years has also somehow been locked and their original "envelope" icon has been replaced with the "blank page" icon.




While looking for answers, I found and installed an application called LockHunter. As a result, when I right click on a saved (and locked) e-mail message, I’ve given an option to find out what's locking the file. Each time I'm told that the culprit is Windows Explorer. When I employ the option to unlock the file the normal envelope icon is sometimes displayed (but not always) but at least the file opens. By the way, I don't have this issue when I save Word, Excel & PowerPoint files; only with Outlook.




I've exhausted every remedy that I can think of or find on the Internet, including: making sure that the file and folder options are checked to always show icons and not thumbnails; running the Windows 7 & Office 2010 repair options which find nothing untoward; running a complete system scan with Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool with negative results; verifying that Outlook is the default for opening e-mails; updating all of my applications via Secunia Personal Software Inspector; uninstalling every application that I felt was unnecessary via Revo Uninstaller Pro; doing a registry cleanup via CC Cleaner; having Windows Security Essentials always on (it did find one Java Trojan recently which was quarantined and then deleted); uninstalling a bunch of non-Microsoft shell extensions; and deactivating all of the Outlook Add-ins and then re-activating each one with no change to the problem. In that regard, one thing I have been unable to accomplish is to activate the Microsoft VBA for Outlook Add-in. I believe I saw something somewhere suggesting that this might be causing my problem so I’d welcome any advice on how to do this and well as anything else I can do to resolve this issue.
 

maringuy

Member
Diane,

I installed Office Home and Business 2010 on my PC via a DVD purchased at Costco. I confirmed via Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs\Set Associations that the current default for the .msg file extension is Outlook. If I could figure out how to attach an a snippet to this reply, you could see the LockHunter app claiming that Windows Explorer is locking these saved e-mails but alas, if there's a way to do so, it's eluding me.

Incidentally, after my initial post yesterday on this issue, I recalled reading somewhere that Outlook needed the MS VBA add-in to be able to properly save e-mail messages. I went to the Add-ins section under Outlook options and saw that the Microsoft VBA for Outlook add-in was in the "inactive" section. I clicked on the COM Add-ins button and then saw that the VBA add-in was checked but hitting "OK" did not make it active. I then chose the "Add" option and browsed until I got to the VBA .dll (Outlvba.dll) in Windows but when I selected it, I got the error message that it was not a valid add-in.

By the way, tonight when I attempted to save an e-mail, the default save as type was "Outlook Message Format - Unicode". The .msg option was not offered any more. Man, there seem to be a lot of gremlins at work here!

John
 

Diane Poremsky

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You only need VBA active if you are using macros & some addins. Otherwise, it can remain disabled. It shouldn't be disabled by default though.




Yes, there seems to be a lot of germlins in your system. You said you tried a repair, correct? At this point, i'd probably try a reinstall as something has apparently messed up the registry for outlook.
 

maringuy

Member
I suspect you're right - reinstalling Windows 7 will be solve this problem. When I get a chance to do it, I'll let you know if it worked. Thanks!
 

Diane Poremsky

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'd do office first - uninstall, reboot, reinstall (and cross your fingers). It's a lot less hassle than doing the entire OS. If the problem just recently cropped up, system restore might fix it... but if not, I's start with office first.
 

maringuy

Member
Sad to say I don't have a system restore point available for the time frame in which my problem started (I wish that I had gone to that solution when the problem first surfaced!) so that option's out.




I have already run the Office 2010 repair option and re-installed Office with no change in the problem. As soon as I am able, I'm going to run the Windows 7 Repair option first before resorting to a full re-installation.
 

Diane Poremsky

Senior Member
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I just hate to see a full reinstall... We allow 8 hours to get the important stuff reinstalled and configured and weeks to get all the little stuff installed. On the other hand, it generally runs really good once you do it. <g>
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top