Missing my name as sender in conversation view

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSlow2GoFast

Recently converted to Outlook 2010, and am using the new conversation view. One problem I am having though is that when the conversation is expanded to show the various related emails, any emails in the conversation that I sent are listed with a blank From field. Is this a configuration setting I have messed up, or a bug, or something else.

~gs2gf

Forum Admin

Well, its not user error... it should display your name. What type of account do you have configured? Did you try resetting the view?

GoSlow2GoFast

Well, its not user error... it should display your name. What type of account do you have configured? Did you try resetting the view?
Interestingly, as I poke a bit more, it isn't just in conversation view as I had thought. If I just select the Sent Items folder, which I typically have sorted by reverse date (newest sent on top) with no grouping, etc, most of the emails I have sent since switching to Outlook 2010 show a blank sender, while older ones still show my name in the From field. Quite strange.

It also seemed like when composing messages some of my "nicknames" had gotten lost and where as I used to just be able to type a few letters of a persons name and it would pop up suggestions, I know had to hit ctrl-K to resolve them. A lot still worked, but some seemed to be gone right after the conversion. I didn't think too much bout it, but I wonder if one of these "caching" type files isn't right, and is causing my name not to appear because it isn't resolving properly or something.

~bill

GoSlow2GoFast

Another clue. When I compose a new message, and do Options, From so that I can see the From field, it currently says "Microsoft Exchange" next to the "From" button. Maybe I need to change that to my name someplace?

I an on an Exchange server for this account.

~bill

Forum Admin

The Account name doesn't affect it - if you use a view that include the account name field, you'll see Microsoft Exchange. You can certainly change it - go into Account Settings and click More options then change it on the first tab.

Did you upgrade and keep an old profile? I think Outlook 2010 uses the email address for the account name field (it does when you use multiple accounts and I'm pretty sure i did not change my default account name to my email address). While it shouldn't matter, its possible a new profile will fix your problem.

GoSlow2GoFast

Yes, I did see that in the profile, and figured it wasn't the cause of the problem.

I did "upgrade" a prior Office 2007 install on my machine, and left the existing profile against Exchange in place, etc.

I thought of trying a new profile and seeing what happens, thanks, may give that a go.

It's strange because if I accept a meeting request, then in the Sent Items it shows my name in the From column of the listing. But for emails I replied to it shows as blank in the listing, even though in the Preview pane, or opening the message itself, it has my name as the from. Odd...

~bill

GoSlow2GoFast

Okay, I added another profile and used that and while it didn't resolve the problem for existing emails I had sent, new ones seem to be displaying my name in the list now. Odd!

~bill

Forum Admin

If you are using cached mode you can try resetting the folders. Right click on the affected folder, choose properties then clear offline items. Outlook will re-sync the folder with the server. If that doesn't help, then nothing will.

Forum Admin

It also seemed like when composing messages some of my "nicknames" had gotten lost and where as I used to just be able to type a few letters of a persons name and it would pop up suggestions, I know had to hit ctrl-K to resolve them. A lot still worked, but some seemed to be gone right after the conversion. I didn't think too much bout it, but I wonder if one of these "caching" type files isn't right, and is causing my name not to appear because it isn't resolving properly or something.

~bill
This also wont affect the From field name - but if you are losing the autocomplete cache where names come up as you type, the cache is corrupt. A new profile fixes this, so this should work correctly in the new profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Search within ouitlook results in missing last character in from name, subject and folder names Using Outlook 4
L Outlook 2016 Contacts missing in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 1
M Missing emails in Inbox, but are present in webmail Using Outlook 0
M Simplified ribbon missing Using Outlook 3
T Missing Folder in Outlook.com Using Outlook 3
G Missing forward/replied icons Using Outlook 2
T 3 months of archived e-mail is missing Using Outlook 1
T Missing text in e-mail message after "(Please keep confidential)" Using Outlook 3
A Outlook 2016 Web add-in missing on some machines Using Outlook 9
C iCloud Setting missing Outlook tab and Outlook missing the iCloud refresh button Using Outlook 4
O Outlook 365 - Toolbar - Close all items - missing? Using Outlook 3
V Items missing in Sent folder Using Outlook 10
A Missing context menu on Location field Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 2016 - Tasks View Settings Missing Using Outlook 1
S Missing Outlook calendar and contacts Using Outlook 0
T Missing Outlook subordinate folder Using Outlook 0
J Tasks - the missing link... for me at least. Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2013 fails to start -- missing WindowsCodecs.dll error Using Outlook 3
GregS Dropdown address list missing Using Outlook 1
J Control Panel Mail (settings) icon missing Using Outlook 2
P Current View Pane for Contacts missing from Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 3
C Attached files on Outlook 2010 Sp1 & Exc 2013 are missing Exchange Server Administration 1
P Missing Folder Using Outlook 1
Werewolf Workaround for the missing Activities tab in Contact Folder Properties in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 2
P Contacts gone missing in Outlook 2013 POP Using Outlook 4
N Outlook 2010 on re-imaged computer missing calendar/contacts Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Shortcuts and the Missing Outlook:// Protocol New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Task Request Status Update Address Missing New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Check for missing attachments before sending a message New Slipstick.com Articles 1
O Missing guide "Move an Outlook Personal Folders .pst File" New Slipstick.com Articles 4
A Outlook Postal Addresses Missing/Blank Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Contacts are missing when you click the To button New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Exchange account set-up missing in Outlook 2016 New Slipstick.com Articles 0
elzopi VBA missing Stationery Picker. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
makinmyway ScanPST.exe Missing Repair Button Using Outlook 15
K IMAP Subfolders missing after migrating to new server Using Outlook 0
R Missing Quick Steps and Rules Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2010: Missing tab - "Format/Picture Tools" HELP! Using Outlook 3
K pr_container class missing Using Outlook 1
J Missing BCM TAB Main Menu - 2007 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
M Missing Drafts (Drafts - This Computer Only) Outlook.com Using Outlook 1
K Missing Categories & Colors Using Outlook 5
C Export to excel missing items, but a larger total? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
T Missing sub-contact folders (distribution lists) Using Outlook 3
F Missing "More Settings" in Outlook 2007 Professional Using Outlook 8
wisedave Missing icon that show message was forwarded, etc Using Outlook 1
Brian Outlook List of custom task views missing in OL2013 Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2013 Appointments missing Using Outlook 1
mikecox Missing alarm flag Using Outlook 2
mikecox "Send/Receive" goes missing Using Outlook 3