Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot Open the outlook window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Windows XP x64 with x32 version of Office 2010 in the office suite all programs are working correctly except Outlook.

When trying to open Outlook it looks as if it is going to open but then Windows installer opens and begins installing something. When it is finished it pops up a window saying that The Configuration Changes made to Office Pro will not take effect untill the computer has been restarted. Do you want to Restart Now? Yes or No?

When you Click Yes on this,the computer restarts and when you go select outlook again it then says that the it is having problems and that it is starting you in Safemode so that you can turn off add-ins.

When you Select NO on the installer it then says: Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot Open the outlook window.

Tryed Repairing Office. Tryed uninstalling Office and Reinstalling. Only thing that worked was Reimaging the machine, But the problems come back again a day later.

Has Anyone seen the Problem before? Or Know of any good suggestion to try? I am out ideas.

I have deleted and recreated the profile. This problem is happening with all accounts on the computer. I had to use compatability mode to install office 2010 but am not using it for running office.

Forum Admin

Why did you have to use compatibility mode to install office? I'd uninstall it and reinstall normally - at most, use Run as administrator (this is not the same as compatibility mode), but not compatibility mode.

I had to use compabitlity mode to install because we are using Windows XP x64 with x32 Office. The only way i found to install was with Compatibility mode. I have 3 of these x64 machines 1 of them it works fine on and the other 2 is giving the problem.

Forum Admin

Office 2010 is not supported on WinXP x64 - there are two ways to trick it to install and I know compatibility mode will cause these problems; i don't know if the second method causes errors in Outlook - the other office apps should work fine though. (http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/18657-Office-2010-on-Windows-XP-2003-x64) I can't test the second method as I don't have an XP 64-bit machine.

Are the computers identical? Did you make new profiles or reuse old profiles?

Is upgrading to Windows 7 an option?

All the Machines are Identical. They were set up from one image. I have tryed making a new profile and it doesnt have any bearing on the issue. Upgrading is an Option in the future but for right now we need to use XP x64 because 7 is in its initial stages of testing in our enviroment. I will give the other option a shot and see if it will work for me. The other office products do work fine it is just outlook that is having the issues. THanks

Forum Admin

Do I understand correctly that you have multiple windows profiles on each machine and it works on all profiles on one computer but not in any window profile the other two?

Yep. I do not understand it. I have tryed the 2nd work-a-round but i could not get the application to run. I did all the setting as they said and when clicking on Setup.exe nothing happens. Rechecked on all the setting and made sure i saved and still nothing.

Forum Admin

My last best thought is to verify the settings on the outlook.exe on the computer that does work - see if its set for compatablity mode or to run as admin. Check installed addins on that computer -

The other option is a reinstall or repair of office - this fixes some other problems but i don't know if it will fix this.

If your company has a support contract, microsoft *might* help, but its an unsupported install for everyone else (and also possibly for contracts).

SOLVED: Installed Windows Search 4.0 and Outlook opened right up. I had been removing Windows Search 4.0 because it was throwing errors in the event log. I removed windows search from Windows 7 with Office 2010 and it gave the same error but still allowed Outlook to open.

larry

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Great! Thanks for letting us know, it may help someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Diane Poremsky Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook Error Message New Slipstick.com Articles 0
G Cannot start Microsoft Outlook Using Outlook 1
M I cannot start Microsoft Outlook 2013 directly opening a .eml message Using Outlook 1
E cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window. Using Outlook 1
T Cannot start Microsoft Outlook... Cannot access file... Using Outlook 2
B Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook - still after trying all fixes Using Outlook 1
R Outlook Madness: 'Cannot start Microsoft Outlook' Using Outlook 1
T Cannot start Microsoft Outlook Using Outlook 2
M "Cannot start microsoft outlook. cannot open the outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened Using Outlook 1
R Get an error message "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable Unable to open the Outlook win Using Outlook 5
U 'Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook' when trying to start oullok 2010 Using Outlook 2
C Cannot start Outlook, prompted with “too many failed open attempts” error Can’t find my name in the Microsoft server, what do I do. Using Outlook 2
J Cannot start Microsoft Outlook 2010 a second time Using Outlook 4
R Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook, Unable to open the Outlook window. __ Using Outlook 1
J Cannot start microsoft outlook 2007. Cannot open the Outlook. Get error code. Using Outlook 3
L Cannot start Microsoft Outlook Using Outlook 1
J Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. MAPI32.dll is currupt or the wrong version Using Outlook 4
M error message Cannot start Microsoft Office. Cannot open the Outlook Window. The set of folders cann Using Outlook 2
R Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. Using Outlook 2
R Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook Using Outlook 2
R Re: Cannot start Microsoft office outlook. Using Outlook 3
J cannot start microsoft outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opene Using Outlook 3
D Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook Cannot open window Using Outlook 3
L Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook Using Outlook 2
S Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be Using Outlook 3
S __Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot initialize Microsoft Office shared utilities.____ Using Outlook 4
R Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook Using Outlook 9
P Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be Using Outlook 12
V Cannot start Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. Using Outlook 8
M Cannot start MS Office Outlook Cannot open the Outlook window Using Outlook 2
H Outlook 2010: Cannot start!, please help me! Using Outlook 3
R Outlook 2007 cannot open files to start program Using Outlook 1
R Cannot start Exchange Information Store Exchange Server Administration 3
B "Cannot open your default e-mail folders. Outlook cannot start because a data file to send and recei Using Outlook 1
T Cannot start M/S Office Outlook. Using Outlook 1
C Error Message: cannot open your default emails folders. outlook cannot start because a data file to Using Outlook 2
M a dialoge box is open. cannot start outlook express Using Outlook 3
Q I cannot start Outlook 2007 I keep getting this error: __'Cannot start outlook window. Invalid XML,the view cannot be loaded.' Using Outlook 3
T Cannot Start MS Office Outlook - Cannot open office window BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Cannot start outlook Outlook Wishlist 1
S Custom Field Cannot Be Displayed In Views Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G Cannot Move Autocomplete File to New Computer Using Outlook 15
rubaboo The vew cannot be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Cannot copy this folder because it may contain private items Using Outlook 0
L Cannot open PST file for first session each day Using Outlook 6
David in Mississippi New (Feb 2020) install of Outlook 365 - Cannot specify PST for different accounts Using Outlook 0
Marc2019 Need help please! Cannot Setup my outlook email account on my Mac Outlook 2011 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
noshairwan Registry cannot be found, Outlook Security Using Outlook 2
Marc2019 Cannot input Vietnamese Characters on my MSOutlook 2016 in Windows 7 Using Outlook 0
T Cannot remove needless PST Using Outlook 1