Cannot open Outlook 2010 window__

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rckharo

I have the same issue, " Cannot start Microsoft Outlook." The system has Windows 7 Professional and Office 2010. Everything had been working fine until today.

Here's what happened today:

1. Installed Corel Office X4 (working on a church project and they are using Quattro Pro X4). Quattro Pro wouldn't come up -- got " need MSXML4" message.

2. I reinstalled the MSXML4 Service Pack 2; rebooted, etc., and still no luck with Quattro Pro -- still got MSXML4 message.

3. I uninstalled the Corel Office X4 and rebooted.

4. Used Norton 360 to clean up registry; rebooted.

5. MS Office 2010 works, except for Outlook.

6. I uninstalled Office 2010, rebooted, reinstalled Office 2010, rebooted, and still get Outlook " cannot start" message.

7. I've tried both the scanpst.exe and outlook.exe /resetnavpane to no avail.

N

Niyamath Khan

Verify if Outlook is running in compatible mode, try the following steps:

Right click on Outlook (.exe) > Properties > Compatibility > uncheck all the boxes

To access Outlook (.exe), open the following location:

Windows 7 32bit: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

Windows 7 64bit: C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14

R

rckharo

Ben, thanks for the reply. When I try to start Outlook in Safe mode, a dialog box appears asking if I want to start in Safe mode. After replying " yes," I get the same " Cannot start Microsoft Outlook" message.

R

rckharo

Niyamath, all the boxes were unchecked.

Could it be a registry issue?

Thanks.

N

Niyamath Khan

What type of email account is configured in Outlook? E.g. POP/IMAP/Exchange

You may try to create Outlooknew profile and then configure the same email account to check if it helps.

R

rckharo

Niyamath and Ben, I'm not able to create a new mail profile; upon clicking theMail icon in the Control Panel, I receive a " Your system needs more memory or system resources...." I've followed the How-To Outlook linkhttp://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm and have no luck. I also have uninstalled Office 2010, rebooted, reinstalled, and rebooted -- to no avail.

Ummmmm ... the prospect of blowing away the system and reinstalling everything is truly unappealing.

Thanks for your help.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

What are your system specs? In particular - how much RAM do you have and how much free disk space?

R

rckharo

Ben, the system has 2 gb memory with 1.1 gb free; there is 215 gb of free storage.

Thanx for hanging in there on this. Have a great weekend.

Bob Kharouf

R

rckharo

Gentlemen, Outlook 2010 is up-and-running again. From a link on the How-to Outlook site, http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm, I got to the below site under Disable Add-Ons. After signing on as administrator (Hold the SHIFT button and right click on the Outlook shortcut. From the menu choose " Run as administrator), Outlook started up and now I can sign on

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/87

Thanks for all your help. I'm guessing, based on the info on the sites, that the Add-Ins were the problem - one or more of the below - all found via Event Viewer.

Microsoft VBA for Outlook Microsoft Exchange Microsoft Outlook Social Connector OneNote Notes about Outlook Norton AntiSpam Outlook Microsoft Sharer Server Colleague Import

Again, thank you both for your posts.

Bob Kharouf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Outlook 2010 Cannot Open Attachments Using Outlook 14
V Cannot start Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. Using Outlook 8
M Cannot start MS Office Outlook Cannot open the Outlook window Using Outlook 2
F Cannot open extracted .msg files from outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Cannot open Options Menu Outlook 2007 and Cannot create a new profile Using Outlook 0
M Cannot open CALENDAR in outlook 2003 Using Outlook 2
B Outlook cannot open/mail applet not enough resources Using Outlook 5
D Cannot open Outlook 2011 Account Settings Using Outlook 2
E cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook Window. Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2007 "cannot open your default email folders.microsoft exchange is not available" on XP is n Using Outlook 1
N Re: outlook cannot open my default data file Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2007 cannot open files to start program Using Outlook 1
M Cannot display the folder. Outlook cannot open this item. The item may be damaged. __ Using Outlook 1
G Outlook 2010: Cannot Open Item Error; and Operation Failed Error when replying!! Using Outlook 2
R Cannot Start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot Open the outlook window. Using Outlook 11
D Outlook 2003 cannot open Word docs after Windows 7 upgrade from Vista. Using Outlook 2
L Cannot open Outlook 2010 Student, operating system Windows XP Using Outlook 6
A Cannot open Outlook window Using Outlook 1
T Cannot open hyperlinks inside e-mails... (outlook 2010) Using Outlook 3
M "Cannot start microsoft outlook. cannot open the outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened Using Outlook 1
P cannot open default email folders errors in c:\users\officemax\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst Using Outlook 1
M Cannot open Outlook 2007 receive several different error messages such as Outlook has not been insta Using Outlook 1
B "Cannot open your default e-mail folders. Outlook cannot start because a data file to send and recei Using Outlook 1
J Cannot open your default e-mail folder. The file "C\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlo Using Outlook 2
R Get an error message "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable Unable to open the Outlook win Using Outlook 5
S Cannot reply, reply all or forward an open mail in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
F Cannot open Outlook Using Outlook 1
K Getting this error message--Cannot open Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders can not be opened. Using Outlook 1
S Cannot Open Attachments Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
B Outlook creates attachments other mailprograms cannot open Using Outlook 1
D ERROR: Cannot open Outlook Using Outlook 1
S Cannot open links in Outlook Using Outlook 1
C Upgraded version of Outlook cannot open previously viewable encrypted messages. Using Outlook 1
C Upgraded version of Outlook cannot open previously viewable encrypted messages. Using Outlook 3
S outlook error 0x80070021 a prosses has outlook files open and backup cannot run Using Outlook 2
C Cannot start Outlook, prompted with “too many failed open attempts” error Can’t find my name in the Microsoft server, what do I do. Using Outlook 2
T Outlook 2007: Cannot open links in received emails. Get error message of "The operation has been c Using Outlook 1
J Cannot Open Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
R Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook, Unable to open the Outlook window. __ Using Outlook 1
J Cannot start microsoft outlook 2007. Cannot open the Outlook. Get error code. Using Outlook 3
J I cannot open outlook. It says errors have been detected in the file. It says to run scanpst.exe but__I cannot find it on the computer. Can I get help Using Outlook 1
C Error Message: cannot open your default emails folders. outlook cannot start because a data file to Using Outlook 2
L Cannot open microsoft office outlook 2007.__ Using Outlook 8
J Outlook 2010 Access Denied. Cannot open pst file‏ Using Outlook 6
B Tried to set outlook and now all i get is box telling me I cannot open default email folder Using Outlook 2
M error message Cannot start Microsoft Office. Cannot open the Outlook Window. The set of folders cann Using Outlook 2
R Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. Using Outlook 2
M Cannot open Outlook 2002 Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2010 - Scheduling Assistant issue, "Cannot open this item" Using Outlook 1
C Microsoft Outlook: cannot open program when clicking on the icon Using Outlook 2