Can I run Outlook 2003 and 2010 on the same machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kane11

Ok, I am sure your first questions is "why"? Here is the short story. I just purchased a new laptop loaded with Windows 7 and Office 2010. Loving Outlook 2010 all day long.

Problem is that all my CRM sync only works with Outlook 2003. But the minute I copied my Outlook 2003 files to the new laptop, 2010 read and openned them automotically, leading me to believe that these Outlook files can be shared between the two versions.

So my theory is, that if I can once a day or week, sync my CRM to Outlook on the 2003 version and use 2010 for everything else, my working data will be current.

I am always open to suggestions, but how can I make this work? Thanks.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

No, you can't run them side by side. You could run Outlook 2003 in a Windows XP Mode virtual machine though. Then you copy the files from there to the Windows 7 host so Outlook 2010 can work with them.

Have you talked to your CRM software provider about why they're stuck on such an old version?!

R

Roady [MVP]

No, that is not possible as only 1 version of Outlook can be installed on a system. Have you checked for updates for your CRM software already?

An option is to use the Click to Run version of Office 2010 instead of the fully installed version. The downside of this is that you cannot use your add-ins with Outlook 2010 at all.

Another option is to use Windows Virtual PC and to install Outlook 2003 in the virtual environment; this will require quite some memory though.

Checking with the CRM vendor for an update would be the best way to go.

K

Kane11

The CRM Vendor says they are still 6 months out on testing and releasing compatibility with Outlook 2010. I would save myself hours of work re-keying each week, when the connector is ready.

In the meantime, can you point me to the link to read more on how to setup the Windows Virtual PC on my Windows 7 machine? I will only be running Outlook 2003 in this environment on the odd occasion. My machine is maxed out at 8Gb memory. Hopefully, that will be enough. I guess I will find out when I read up on the virtual PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Outlook 2003 VBA Won't Run In Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
J Does Outlook 2003 run on Windows 8 Professional? Using Outlook 2
B Will MS Outlook 2003 run on a new 64-bit Windows 7 Professional computer? Using Outlook 1
N VBScript does not run in Outlook 2003 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
A Apply Selected Emails to outlook rules and Run Rules Using Outlook 5
A Run-time error '430' on certain emails when trying to set "Outlook.mailitem" as "ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Outlook Custom Form Scripting only working when clicking on "Run this form" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
O Outlook 2016 This rule will only run when you check your email in Outlook.... Using Outlook 4
A Run time error 424. object required in outlook 2013 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
B Outlook rule run a Script doesn't work Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Vijay Run script doesn't work in outlook Using Outlook 1
O VBA to Run Font Change on Outlook Startup Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
D Creating an outlook session from Access vba but run silently. With A specific profile Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Diane Poremsky Using Scanpst in Outlook Click to Run New Slipstick.com Articles 0
oliv- How to Run a Script IN AN ADDIN with Outlook's Rules and Alerts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Outlook 2010 VBScript editor does not run code at all Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
X Outlook script to run excel data Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D RUN SCRIPT WHEN OUTLOOK IS CLOSE Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Must now "View on Facebook" for Mentions/Comments-Outlook 2013 click-to-run Using Outlook 2
P How many subs can run in one outlook VBA script Using Outlook 5
R Outlook won't run except in Safe mode problem Using Outlook 5
Gary Brown Outlook 2013 VBA to run a rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
T Is the standalone Outlook 2013 click-to-run or msi? Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2007 Rules & VBA: How to run a script on a report message (ReportItem) Using Outlook 14
Wotme code to run outlook add-in Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2007 Macro to Run a Script From a Contact Form Using Outlook 41
Z Trigger macro to run after a new mail is received in Outlook? Using Outlook 3
J outlook rule doesn't run automatically Using Outlook 0
B Trying to find & run Scanpst.exe. Outlook can't log onto server. Have removed update KB2412171 & it did not correct problem. Have done a resto Using Outlook 2
G OUTLOOK 2007 UNABLE TO RECEIVE EMAILS CAN'T RUN INBOX REPAIR TOOL AND ERROR (OX8E0CCC18) Using Outlook 2
F update 2412171 made my outlook run slow, very Email removed for privacy Using Outlook 6
I Outlook 2007: When I run ScanPST it reports errors but there is no "Repair" button & "Make backup... Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2010 (Click to Run) and Gmail Using Outlook 2
G Can't run hyperlinks outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
L Can outlook rules be run on a archive pst file? Using Outlook 1
S outlook error 0x80070021 a prosses has outlook files open and backup cannot run Using Outlook 2
E Outlook wont run says errors in the user string. Using Outlook 1
J I cannot open outlook. It says errors have been detected in the file. It says to run scanpst.exe but__I cannot find it on the computer. Can I get help Using Outlook 1
R Will Outlook 2010 run two exchange profiles from two different servers? Using Outlook 1
H Office OUtlook 2007 gives error message that says to run scanpst.exe and this is not found on my com Using Outlook 3
M Outlook 2010 asks me "Do you want to open or save this file?" when I first run it. If I open, it con Using Outlook 3
D Outlook report the error - "Cannot display the folder. There is not enough free memory to run this p Using Outlook 34
T Outlook wont run up, mail control panel applet says I have run out of resources Using Outlook 16
A vb6 run time error 5 when Outlook 2007 Explorer object displayed Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Create a macro in Outlook to run a rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 32
J Can't run macro Outlook 2007 that was created in Word 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Run external program from Outlook VBA macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
R outlook 2007 itemadd event handler fails to run Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B VBScript doesn't run on Recipient Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Y Outlook 2013 Run A Script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4