Pictures do not appear in email messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert 3

As of the October Security Updates no users on my network can see pictures in their emails. What we get is an email with no photos - no red X's - their is a small square that you can't see unless you click on it. The only options on the square when you right click is to Copy. If I copy and Paste I get nothing. Print preview shows nothing. MS Outlook 2007 fully patched on BOTH XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro - fully patched.

I've tried the following:

1. Trust Center - allow downloads

2. Emptied the temporary secure Outlook folder

3. Removed the registry entry for secure temp. Outlook folder

4. Recreated the registry entry for secure temp. folder and made sure the folder existed

5. I did not have the BlockHTTPImages registry entry so I:
A. created it
B. removed it

6. Check all the IE settings in both Advanced Settings and Security Tab

7. System Restore to 2 weeks prior to Security updates

8. Open email message | Click on Windows Circle | Editor Options | Advanced | Show Picture Placeholders - tried it both checked and unchecked.

9. Opened Outlook in Safe Mode

10. Setup a new profile.

I'm going nuts trying to figure out what is happening here! Any help is much appreciated.

R

Robert 3

Yes, I forgot to list that.

I started it in Safe Mode without any change in behavior & I also deleted and profile and recreated it.

The emails are HTML.

Thanks for your help!

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Are these e-mails from internal users or external users or both? If you open the e-mail in a browser (open the message, Actions, View in Browser) do you see the pictures?

R

Robert 3

When viewing the email in a browser per your instructions above, the message is unchanged. The graphics still do not appear.

Thanks

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Interesting. What kind of e-mail accounts are these? POP3? IMAP? Exchange? Hotmail? Something else?

R

Robert 3

Exchange 2000 SP3 on the backend, with Outlook 2007 clients fully patched on the front end.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Exchange 2000? O.K. If you log into their mailbox with OWA, do the messages look correct there?

R

Robert 3

Same result in OWA - no Pics. We are in the process of migrating to Exchange 2003. But only just now got the Exchange 2003 server up and running and installed patches etc... Have not begun migrating users yet.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Ahh...if you're seeing the same thing in OWA then the pics are getting stripped out before Outlook ever sees them. You might try asking about this in one of the Exchange forums. Are you using a Barracuda or similar anti-spam/security device in front of (or installed on) your Exchange server?

R

Robert 3

Aha! You are so correct Mr. Schorr! Thanks for the guidance. I took the issue up with McAfee - we subscribe to their SaaS email filtering product which was set to screen out images.

For the benefit of anyone else that has McAfee the setting can be changed by editing your Inbound Rule | Content | HTML Shield - replace all images links with a default transparent image.

Thanks again for your guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W pictures appear low-res and text with blurry edges in received e-mails Using Outlook 2
T Pictures degrade each time an Outlook item is edited and re-saved Using Outlook 1
G icloud pictures not showing in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
M Outlook 2003 pictures - some visible, some not Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Pictures don't display in Outlook messages New Slipstick.com Articles 4
F Tumblr - Drag & Drop files (pictures) into Outlook? Using Outlook 12
C Displaying Profile Pictures in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
T In Outlook 2013, must downloaded pictures in an email always be retained? Using Outlook 8
C 2010 Outlook emails not downloading pictures Using Outlook 5
T Error opening mail with pictures - "The linked image cannot be displayed" Using Outlook 3
M Outlook 2010 Contact Pictures Disappearing Using Outlook 3
L Outlook Contact Pictures Using Outlook 2
E No Contact Pictures in Desktop Alerts Using Outlook 10
J outlook 2013 own stationery with pictures Using Outlook 0
H downloading email pictures Using Outlook 14
J Stop Outlook 2010 from showing face pictures in From/To/Cc/Subject box Using Outlook 2
M Can I insert pictures from a url address (from web) without downloading ? Using Outlook 1
C Forwarded email's pictures not opening or viewable by friends. Using Outlook 2
B Allow viewing of pictures and attachments? Using Outlook 2
W Anchoring pictures in body of emails Using Outlook 2
D Open pictures in email Using Outlook 1
K Recipients are unable to reveive pictures that I send as attachments in Outlook 2010 and Gmail Using Outlook 1
M Some of my mail receipients are not receiving pictures or any attachments with my emails Using Outlook 1
P Social connector does not update contacts' pictures Using Outlook 8
P Outlook Connector Contact Pictures do not transfer Using Outlook 2
S Unable to see pictures embedded in email Using Outlook 2
M Download pictures automatic in incoming mails Using Outlook 1
I Unable to display web embedded pictures in outlook mail Using Outlook 1
A Putting Pictures on the Account Using Outlook 1
P Pictures won't e-mail Using Outlook 2
T all graphics and pictures have disappeared from my emails in microsoft outlook 2007. How can I get them back? Using Outlook 1
S I want pictures as attachments in Junk Mail folder Using Outlook 1
S Video pictures do not move in Outlook, they do in Hotmail. Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 Messages with embedded pictures cannot be viewed offline Using Outlook 1
R auto resize attached pictures Using Outlook 1
G unable to download emailed pictures in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
K Cannot download pictures in Outlook emails Using Outlook 2
D while opening an attachment (pictures) the pictures open using MS word Using Outlook 1
L view pictures in emails Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2010 won't display downloaded pictures Using Outlook 3
M when an email with pictures come through, it only shows blank boxes Using Outlook 3
D no color font or pictures in signature using Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
A Saving images (pictures) from emails received with images (pictures) inserted within them Using Outlook 2
R Pictures from SharePoint MySite and GAL Using Outlook 1
P Cannot send links when in IE8 or pictures from my Pictures folder thru Outlook. Using Outlook 2
S Red X for Pictures Using Outlook 5
P 'UN'download pictures? Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2007 not show pictures Using Outlook 2
J Contact pictures not syncing Using Outlook 1
R Receiving Pictures in an e-mail but have two copies Using Outlook 1