updated from xp pro to 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kevin Matejko

I installed Windows 7 on my computer and used file transfer cable to reinstall. The files I see are over a month old and my new files are missing. How do I get current files?

R

Russ Valentine

Since you posted in an Outlook forum, are we to assume you are asking about transferring Outlook data? If so, you cannot use Windows Easy Transfer with Outlook. You must use a supported method for data transfer. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored.

Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:
Moving Outlook to a New Computer
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

Note that some of the information on the Microsoft page is outdated and contains errors, particularly when applied to Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010. Specifically:
1. Ignore any advice to copy your PST file to Outlook's default location to connect it to your profile. Doing so will often corrupt your Outlook profile. Copy it anywhere BUT the default location and then open it within your Outlook profile.
2. Ignore any advice that tells you to use export or import to transfer an entire Outlook data file. That has never been sound advice, but the process has become too deeply flawed to be trusted.

Also, when you use manual configuration for your mail accounts in Outlook 2010 (always preferable) it has a nice new option that lets you connect to a pre-existing data file when creating a new profile instead of having to jump through all the hoops of creating a new file, connecting to the pre-existing file, then disconnecting the new file.

Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Sending contact vcards sends older version instead of updated version Using Outlook 4
M Multiple User Defined Fields that can be added, changed, updated using VBA and user form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Diane Poremsky Help! My Contacts are being updated! New Slipstick.com Articles 0
A Updated custom form not showing with old items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Rory Campion Not getting a warning when a shared calendar item has been updated by someone else Using Outlook 2
C BCM updated records not refreshing on other PCs BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
V iCloud Configuring @me.com in Outlook (updated) Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 - missing "Updated: ... " in subject text after calendar update Using Outlook 2
A Identifiying who changed or updated an appointment in Exchange 2007 Exchange Server Administration 7
T Merged file in Outlook 2010 could not be updated Using Outlook 2
K Outlook 2010 Calendar: could not be updated Using Outlook 3
J How do I disable the message: The contents of this appointment have been updated. Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 Free/Busy Data not updated\viewable - Exchange 2003 SP2 Using Outlook 2
S Room Mailbox - could not be updated Exchange Server Administration 3
M Shared Calendar not completly updated when viewing from OWA Using Outlook 1
S Views on frequently updated public folders in Outlook 2003 for many users Using Outlook 1
G How to confirm the exchange 2010 log files are updated the database? Exchange Server Administration 2
F Calender does not get updates, if somebody sends the updated invite. Using Outlook 3
W "the contents of this appointment have been updated. Open this appointment to see the updated text." Using Outlook 5
M updated outlook connector for outlook 2007, now folder list in navigation pane is truncated and fold Using Outlook 5
A corrupted Outlook 2007 UPdated today 09/19/10 Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2007: RSS feeds not updated any more Using Outlook 1
F got 0ffice 2010 and installed it and it asked if i wanted outlook updated to 2010. When I did it got rid of all my old emails that i need now. how d Using Outlook 1
A How do I control "The contents of this appointment have been updated" Using Outlook 1
G recurring meeting exceptions count not updated Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
N Re: [Updated] Attachment error in OWA Exchange Server Administration 5
T Trickle down info from updated Accounts to Contacts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Calendar Delegates can't accept, meeting updated Using Outlook 12
e_a_g_l_e_p_i A question about installing office 2013 Pro and using my .pst from office 2010 Using Outlook 12
C Move from Outlook 2007 Enterprise (MOE) to Outlook Pro plus 2007 Using Outlook 1
D Outlook (Office) 2007 & Windows 10 Pro Using Outlook 6
T From OL2010 Pro to OL2003 Pro Using Outlook 4
S Customizing Connected Services in Office 2013 Pro Plus (O365) Using Outlook 1
O Moving OUtlook 2003 from bad XP to Win 7 Pro 64 -- URGENT! Using Outlook 8
vespinoza Upgrading to Outlook Pro Plus from Outlook/Office Standard Using Outlook 3
M Opening Word Doc's in Adobe Acrobat Pro Using Outlook 9
E Double Tasks in Outlook 2010 Pro Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2010 Pro 32bit not recognized by Mobile Device Center Using Outlook 2
R Can't open attachments, forward, or reply in Outlook 2007, XP Pro. Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2007 isvery slow and non resonsive in Windows 7 Pro Using Outlook 2
C Outlook will open "Briefly" and then get a white screen and shuts down. How do I get it working pro Using Outlook 4
R Windows 7 Pro + Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 + Exchange 2003 = RPC over HTTP doesn't work Using Outlook 6
J Outlook 2007 in XP Pro freezes up after starting. Using Outlook 2
J Upgraded to Office 2010 Pro on XP Pro. Using Outlook 5
A No longer have Business Contact Manager after upgraded from 2003 Pro to 2007 Pro Plus Using Outlook 1
A No longer have Business Contact Manager after upgraded from 2003 Pro to 2007 Pro Plus Using Outlook 1
A windows not detecting outlook pro 2010 64 bit as the default mail program Using Outlook 1
D BCM for Office 2010 Pro Plus Using Outlook 1
O Can't connect to MS Exchange with Outlook 2010 and Win7 Pro 32 Using Outlook 5
V Office Pro 2010 over Office 2010 Home? Using Outlook 3