"Can't open this item. The object is not valid."

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pongo5295

" Can't open this item. The object is not valid." I get this when I try to open some Outlook Calendar entries. I have deleted extend.dat, outcmd.dat and frmcache.dat with no success. Any ideas?

Thanks...

R

Russ Valentine

Any ideas what changes were made before this problem arose or is this another " happened all by itself for no reason?" What information store are you using? If it's a local data file, have you tried repairing it? Have you tried creating a new Outlok profile? Those are the first two thing to try.Russ Valentine

P

Pongo5295

I have created a new Outlook profile. It still gives the same error. The Calendar is the one provided by Microsoft Exchange as part of the Exchange account.

P

Pongo5295

I also have done a Detect and Repair.

When that did not work, I did a complete uninstall and reinstall. No effect.

The problem is on a Windows 7 machine where the problem is occurring. I used the Windows Easy Transfer process to move her data and settings from her XP machine to the Win 7 machine.

By the way, her Outlook on her Windows XP machine is working just fine. There never has been a problem there.

Also, I just used the Office Save My Settings process on the WIndows XP machine to save her Office settings from the machine that works. I then used the same wizard on the Win 7 machine to apply those very same settings to Office on the Win 7 machine - no effect. The orginal problem remains. So even with the very same settings with the same verysion of Office, her Outlook works fine on her Windows XP machine but those very same settings will not work fine on the Win 7 machine.

P

Pongo5295

On last anaomaly - the problem only occurs with existing Calendar entries OR new Calendar requests that have to do withrecurring meetings. Non-recurring entries work fine in Meeting Requests or if they appear in the Calendar.

R

Russ Valentine

If you are running against Exchange Server, why would you use Windows Easy Transfer? You had no data to transfer. All data resides in the Exchange mailbox. You must never attempt to use Windows Easy Transfer with Outlook. It does not work and the profile that is creates is corrupt.

I still think you have a corrupt profile and probably didn't create a new one correctly.

Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.