Contact window too small to view all details and no vertical scroll bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stephen_Ford

XP PRo SP3 + Outlook 2010

Can't see all contact General details including address field. Contact window size restricted on Notebook screen and no vertical scroll bar on the contact window.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Do you have the window maximized - i.e. full screen? (hit the square at the very top right corner of the window)

S

Stephen_Ford

That helps a lot but the address field is missing the botton 25% - this is purely the small size of the notebook screen. I can't believe there's no scroll bar. If a window is Restored a scroll bar usually appears doesn't it? Is this a bug?

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Hmmm...even at Full Screen you're not getting a scroll bar? You might want to test a few different screen resolutions (right-click the desktop, Properties, Display as I recall).

S

Stephen_Ford

Actually, I've decided not to mess with my notebook setup. I presume if I don't get a scroll bar then no one else does. Such a but is easy for anyone eles to test. Sftware is supposed to know about screen settings and provide features accordingly, or am I a demanding user...?

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

No, I think it's reasonable that you should get a scroll bar even if you're not in the correct resolution (if that's what it is). I'm not sure why you're willing to accept compromised functionality just because other people may not have proper functionality too, though. <shrug>

S

Stephen_Ford

I appreciate your help and don't want to be ungreatful.

The notebook is a Samsung. The original resolution was 1024x 600. The only alternative is 800x 600. I selected that and the contact window displays in full if maximised but the larger text is naff. If restored to a small window, there is no vertical scroll bar.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

O.K., thanks. I'll make sure we look into this. What's the size of the screen, by the way? 12" ? 14" ? Smaller? Larger?

S

Stephen_Ford

It's the Samsung NC10 which has a 10" screen. It would be nice to have a fix because I use the notebook for my business and a full size laptop is not practical.

The screen res did return to 1024x 600 without a hitch. I've had so much to deal with just lately with my business which includes a hair-pull-out job trying to get Office 2010 installed (done now) and a glitchy PDA that the thought of the notebook going ti**s-up was stretching my resolve...

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

And Outlook Contacts are the only screen where you see this behavior? I'll make sure that the Outlook team sees this thread; though I'm not sure if it's an Outlook or Windows issue.

S

Stephen_Ford

Yes. I looked at a few other screens and noticed nothing odd. I'm puzzled. What else could it be? Do you get a scroll bar when the window is restored down to a small size? I don't on my PC either and tabbing moved the insertion point outside of the visible window area which is about as useful as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick as my poor old mum used to say...

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Hmmm...yes, now that I've looked into it apparently there ISN'T one. The only solution seems to be adjusting your screen resolution so that when the window is maximized it's large enough to see everything. I'll point that one out...

S

Stephen_Ford

Although this caused me a problem when it first came to light, now I get a sense of satisfaction having found a real " design feature" LOL

S

Stephen_Ford

Actually Ashley I object to this being marked as an answer. It's a solution but a totally unworkable one. I appreciate Ben's efforts, but 'E' is for 'results' not effort, as they say. The answer is whatever it takes to produce a vertical scroll bar whatever the screen resolution. If Ben has to wait for the MS developers to produce a scroll bar before he gets a tick then that's one of those kickers we often get in life...

I think good etiquettemight have been to ask me if I condisider this an answer and I'm afraid I would have given the same response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Diane Poremsky Search for All Messages from Contact and Display in New Window New Slipstick.com Articles 0
D Contacts--in Contact subfolders==Reminders not showing in reminders window-- Using Outlook 2
O Create a custom contact form - questions before messing things up... Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M vCard does not have user-defined fields from my custom contact form (365) Using Outlook 1
C Copy Outlook contact field value to another field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
W Remove specific contacts from contact list Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
GregS 2016 Contact List being managed by Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
F Copy and replace not update contact in another pst Using Outlook 0
A Sending contact vcards sends older version instead of updated version Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 2010 Correct way to map multiple contact fields Using Outlook 4
Victor_50 Outlook 2013 Custom Contact Form starts with "E-mail 2" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Outlook Business Contact Manager with SQL to Excel, User Defined Fields in BCM don't sync in SQL. Can I use VBA code to copy 1 field to another? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
L dynamic and static dates in Outlook contact "notes" ie. body Using Outlook 2
Randy Redekopp How To Merge Contact Info to Email Custom Form Template Using Outlook 2
L Wierd Office 365 Contact unable to edit body of random contacts Using Outlook 5
M Contact photos are distorted Using Outlook 0
C Outlook Contact Manager - A viable successor? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 7
N Contact display as Using Outlook 2
N contact notepad 'style' getting changed after clicking and running Activities Using Outlook 2
N How to turn off autocorrect in contact notepads Using Outlook 2
S Unable to Edit Contact Information in Certain Contact Folders Using Outlook 3
P Add a contact to the New Task in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
P AGGGGHHHH!!!! - Address Books and Contact Subfolders Using Outlook 5
J Contact Business card view Using Outlook 11
dyny723 Outlook 2016: Code to link a contact to emails received from that contact Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Mass Updating Contact form used Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
witzker Macro to set contact reminder to next day 9:00 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 45
witzker social connector 2010 does not show all emails to or from contact Using Outlook 3
witzker social connector 2010 does not show all emails to or from contact New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Rupert Dragwater How to import contact list Using Outlook 15
S Display PF contact folder items to select contact to link to appointment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T One Contact list, two sections of company (none) Using Outlook 2
M regarding legacy contact cards Using Outlook 2
J Backup .OST - Custom Contact Forms, Defined Fields, Notes Using Outlook 1
A remove or turn off outlook.com contact folder from outlook 2016 Using Outlook 4
L OL 2016 contact: is there a way to prevent an admin from mistakenly deleting a contact? Using Outlook 1
P Run Time Error 91 when linking contact to task in VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Customized Contact Form Losing UDFs. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
C Display Sender As Contact Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
R Outlook add-in to create new contact from an email. Using Outlook 0
E Imported Contact Issues Using Outlook 11
K Contact notes field replicating Using Outlook 6
R Custom Contact Form how to update when loaded. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
M VBA to change flag status in outlook contact item Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Contact group shortcut Using Outlook 3
M adding corresponding contact form data on a mass scale Using Outlook 5
P How to filter primary contacts in business contact manager BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
M Mail merge to single contacts + contact groups? Using Outlook 4
J Outlook.com Contact Sync Issue Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 9
David Michaels Contact card shows blank Outlook 2013 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0