Export contacts to .csv to import into Hotmail

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NotTonight

I have purchased a new WP7 phone and need to get all my contacts on it. I have exported the contacts to csv and tried to import to Hotmail but it doesnt work. I get the following message from hotmail:Gateway Timeout

The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server.

Reference #1.9cc4869f.1288864280.2099cc9f

I have sent the csv file to Hotmail and they have told me that the file " is not in the correct format"

G

Gordon B-P

Won't the phone synchronise with Outlook?If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

G

Gordon B-P

I cannot beleive that a Windows phone won't synch directly with Outlook....If you find my response helpful, please click on the " Vote as Helpful" button!Thank you!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I cannot beleive that a Windows phone won't synch directly with Outlook....

It depends on the OS and which bitness - Outlook 2010 64bit won't sync using ActiveSync (activesync doesn't support 64-bit).

I would open the CSV in Notepad or Excel and see if it looks correct and/or use the Hotmail Connector to sync Outlook and Hotmail.

R

Roady [MVP]

I cannot beleive that a Windows phone won't synch directly with Outlook....

Well, believe it. Windows Phone 7 syncs via the Zune software which doesn't support synching with Outlook. ActiveSync and WMDC cannot be used to sync WP7 with Outlook.

To sync your Outlook contacts with your WP7 device, you'll need an account that supports Exchange ActiveSync which would mean that you need an Exchange or Live Hotmail account in Outlook or use 3rd party sync tools to sync your contacts to a server account that supports Exchange ActiveSync such as Google Apps Sync.

Robert Sparnaaij

N

NotTonight

The exported file is comma separated.

I have installed the Outlook Hotmail Connector but is this mechanism only valid for Hotmail to Outlook synchronisation and not two-way?

R

Roady [MVP]

How many contacts are we talking about here? You can only import up to 1000 contacts at a time.

The sync between Outlook and Hotmail via the Outlook Hotmail Connector is a 2-way-sync.

Robert Sparnaaij

R

Roady [MVP]

Then it should work, but just to be sure, try to trim the csv-file to only 10 contacts and try the import process again.

Another reason for the import to fail would be that a certain contact contains details with a specific character or other property on which the import process fails. You'll have to do a little trial and error here I'm afraid.

Robert Sparnaaij

N

NotTonight

I trimmed the file to 100 contacts and it worked!!!! Now Hotmail is restricting me to 100 contacts! Oh man, is there no end to this?

R

Roady [MVP]

Just try your second batch with 200 contacts to see if that is allowed. Otherwise, split your csv-file over 7 files (don't forget to copy the header for each file) should get you there eventually ;-)

Robert Sparnaaij

N

NotTonight

Your suggestion is the solution but why is hotmail restricting me to 100 contacts?

R

Roady [MVP]

A 100 contacts as a total maximum or only importing up to 100 contacts at a time?

If this is a recently registered Live account, then the limits are usually lower than an account that is older. The limits are gradually increased over the next period of time (2 months I believe it was).

Robert Sparnaaij

J

jaburgin

I have the same problem. A Live account that will only sync 100 contacts. I did it using Outlook Hotmail Connector. I have almost 2,00 contacts. Exactly 100 synced to Live and NONE are on my phone. I have the Live account getting email on the phone. It's amazing how Microsoft cannot get its products to work together. Not making it a very good business phone if my contacts can't sync. No wonder Google is gaining so much ground. It has taken me hours already and who knows how many hours to go.

M

miiggu

I guess we all have the same problem. I have been using years a Nokia phone, syncing all my calendars, tasks and most importantly, my contacts with my phones. Then I suddenly bought a Windows 6.5 phone, liked it a lot, managed to sync all my things as always before and then... I went and bought HTC HD7. Now I've had to work 1 full day to create a hotmail live account which I hate already, install outlook connectors etc lots and lots of hassle. Now I have a HD7 that has 100 out of my 800 contacts. Can someone please tell asap how this is supposed to work...? There must be a way to get my 800 contacts to the HD7? My new live hotmail account seems to accept only 100 contacts...??? This is just madness... there must be a way to do this???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Outlook 2013/365 won't export 99% of my contacts to csv Using Outlook 2
P Export selected contacts to a .csv Using Outlook 2
C Cannot export contacts as CSV - translator error Using Outlook 3
T I am trying to export my contacts to a csv to put on my smartphone. Using Outlook 2
W How to export additional fields in contacts Using Outlook 1
J Formatting Contacts to Export for iPhone Using Outlook 0
F Export Outlook contacts by One Category Using Outlook 1
W calendar contacts export problem Using Outlook 1
P Cannot export contacts with Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 10
D Export Distribution Lists or Groups from Contacts Using Outlook 3
D export contacts from outlook Using Outlook 2
D Need to export contacts but the export/import option does not show in the advanced options tab as the HELP option says it will Using Outlook 4
Y Export Outlook contacts to Windows Contacts in Windows 7 Using Outlook 3
A Unable to export contacts to PST in Outlook 2007 with Win 7 Ultimate (64 bit) Using Outlook 4
J export outlook 2007 contacts to avery business card templates or word Using Outlook 1
L Import/Export of Contacts from/to Excel does not import E-Mail addresses Using Outlook 2
D Export Contacts to Excel Using Outlook 2
B Export emails and contacts from Windows Live mail to outlook 2010 Using Outlook 8
D export contacts in Outlook 2003 using Windows 7 - no folders Using Outlook 10
M How can I export the "Created" date field in contacts? Using Outlook 3
M NeatWorks export to contacts to BCM issues BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
R Outlook 2010 How do you export 2 email Accounts' 2010 Inbox Files to new computer (2019)? Using Outlook 1
O Export Outlook calendar appointments by filters and date range Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Export-Import .pst file problems Using Outlook 2
M How to export Voting Results with user names and their responses Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
J Export Zimbra to Outlook PST Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
S How to export urls from email to excel and check the status of the url ? New Slipstick.com Articles 6
C Export NSF Lotus Notes files in Outlook PST format? Using Outlook 1
C How to export Outlook data to csv? Using Outlook 0
T How to Export mailbox from Outlook 2019 to MBOX format? Using Outlook 1
M Auto-export mail to Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P How to export voting results using VBA? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R How To Repair OST File & Export OST File to Outlook PST ? Using Outlook 3
JohnViuf Export task list view settings to other pc Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
J Copy or Export Outlook Mail to Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
N Export details to a excel spreadsheet using macros Using Outlook 0
avant-guvnor Export Calendar, Birthdays and Holidays Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Diane Poremsky Export (Save) Outlook Contact photos New Slipstick.com Articles 0
K Macro to search emails between two time slots on public folders with excel export Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
A How to export one email data to excel Using Outlook 1
B Macro To Create Rule To Export From Certain Folder Email Information in one workbook multiple sheets Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
W macro to export outlook emails to excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
E Exchanger service export detection Exchange Server Administration 1
R Correct a wrong csv export file from WLM 2012 Using Outlook 0
Q Outlook 2016\365 export specific rules to import in another system Exchange Server Administration 1
H How to export *all* fields from Outlook Using Outlook 2
K Export Organizational Forms Library Exchange Server Administration 1
N Export Outlook custom forms fields to excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E RSS export as OPML problem Using Outlook 4
A export free / busy from exchange Exchange Server Administration 0