3 easy questions, Outlook 10, mail and contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

ualdriver1

3 easy questions for you experts for a guy new to Outlook 10:

1) On the mail side of Outlook 10, when I create a new e-mail, and I start typing a recipient in the "To" field, why isn't my Outlook drawing its suggested e-mail addresses from the people in "Contacts"? It only suggests e-mails that I have typed in manually in the past, many of which I rarely use which is why they were typed manually in the first place.

2) I just came over to Outlook 10 from Outlook Express (yes, I know). I have a bunch of emails from Outlook Express that I saved that I want to transfer into Outlook 10. They won't drag and drop into the folders I have created in Outlook 10 unfortunately. How do I transfer these old Outlook Express e-mails without having to re-email them to myself?

3) I have Outlook 10 set up with 3 e-mail accounts. I would love to have all the e-mails I receive from each account show up in ONE inbox that combines the 3 accounts. Can I do that with Outlook?

Thanks!

R

Russ Valentine

1. That's how autocomplete works in Outlook.

2. Use the Import/Export Wizards, not drag and drop. Export Email from OE to Outlook (AKA Microsoft Exchange) if you want to preserve date stamps. Import Email from OE to Outlook if you don't. Your choice. File > Open > Import

3. You can set each account to use the same set of Personal Folders in the configuration settings of the account. You were not required to specify a separate delivery location when you configured these accounts.

Russ Valentine

U

ualdriver1

OK, thanks Russ. I'll play with those settings as suggested. I appreciate your time!

U

ualdriver1

1. That's how autocomplete works in Outlook.

2. Use the Import/Export Wizards, not drag and drop. Export Email from OE to Outlook (AKA Microsoft Exchange) if you want to preserve date stamps. Import Email from OE to Outlook if you don't. Your choice. File > Open > Import

3. You can set each account to use the same set of Personal Folders in the configuration settings of the account. You were not required to specify a separate delivery location when you configured these accounts.

Russ Valentine

Concerning #2, importing my old e-mail from Outlook Express......I went to File > Open > Import. I selected, "Import Internet Mail and Addresses" because in the description it says "Import mail and addresses from Outlook Express and Eudora Light and Pro." When I hit "next," I highlighted "Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, or Windows Mail" and checked "Import Mail." I then get a finish button and it says it imported my e-mail files.........but it hasn't.

My saved e-mail files are on a USB memory stick. They are .eml files and Outlook didn't even ask where the location of these files are for import.

What am I doing wrong?

R

Russ Valentine

If OE is not on your partition you cannot import from it. Files backed up from OE can only be imported into OE. Once you do that you can import from OE to Outlook.Russ Valentine

R

Roady [MVP]

As you are now running on Windows 7, you cannot import from OE as OE isn't part of Windows 7. As you currently only have eml-file, you can install Windows Live Mail and drag and drop your eml-files into the Inbox there and then export to Outlook from within Windows Live Mail.

For more details see;
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/migratefromoewlm.htm

If you only have a handfull of eml-files, you can also double click on them to open them with Outlook (supported by default in Outlook 2010). If you press the "Move to Folder" button (CTRL+SHIFT+V) you can store it inside of Outlook without needing to go via Windows Live Mail.

U

ualdriver1

As you are now running on Windows 7, you cannot import from OE as OE isn't part of Windows 7. As you currently only have eml-file, you can install Windows Live Mail and drag and drop your eml-files into the Inbox there and then export to Outlook from within Windows Live Mail.

For more details see;
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/migratefromoewlm.htm

If you only have a handfull of eml-files, you can also double click on them to open them with Outlook (supported by default in Outlook 2010). If you press the "Move to Folder" button (CTRL+SHIFT+V) you can store it inside of Outlook without needing to go via Windows Live Mail.

Thank you Russ and Roady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U 2 easy questions, Outlook 10 and an AOL IMAP type account Using Outlook 4
D 3 Easy Questions for Gurus on Word 2007 and Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 11
M Is there any easy way to quickly search for the name of a folder in Outlook's inbox folder structure Exchange Server Administration 1
B Easy to handle backup tool Using Outlook 1
J Easy way to re-import Gmail folders/labels into Outlook? Using Outlook 9
D Isn't there an easy way to remove duplicate contacts in outlook? Using Outlook 1
J I used a Belkin Easy Transfer kit to transfer files from an old XP based laptop to a new Windows 7 l Using Outlook 3
C Installing Outlook 2003 on a new Windows 7 Desktop and transferring data via Easy Transfer Using Outlook 3
A how to transfer outlook 2010 files from 64-bit to 32-bit - easy transfer doesn't work Using Outlook 1
J Easy archiving certain message in online archive? Outlook 2010 and exchange 2010 sp1 Exchange Server Administration 5
C Should be easy: Outlook 2007, can the order of accounts listed under 'All Mail Items' be changed, and if so, how to do it? Using Outlook 2
H Is there an easy way to set the date range when printing a calendar? Using Outlook 1
H Used Easy Transfer to copy from old computer and now I can't send and receive Using Outlook 2
B No address book after transferring to Office Outlook 2007 w/Win7 using Easy Transfer from 2003__ Using Outlook 2
M After EASY TRANSFER - Outlook 2007 PST Files not available?__ Using Outlook 4
L Easy way to search whole PST? Using Outlook 2
P Making Group Schedules easy enough to use Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 10 Windows 7, yes I used Windows Easy Transfer to move my data and now I cannot click the Outlook address book tab selection Show this folder Using Outlook 1
M I have just used windows easy transfer to move my files from my old XP computer to my new HP laptop and Outlook 2010 will now not open. The programme Using Outlook 1
D windows Easy transfere won't transfer outlook 2010 email account settings and email to a new compute Using Outlook 2
J WINDOWS EASY TRANSFER does not allow for BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
P Questions On Crashing, Sluggish, and Configurations Using Outlook 1
J Diane's Delay Delivery at Specific Times Questions Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
O Create a custom contact form - questions before messing things up... Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Rupert Dragwater Several questions regarding Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 9
D Outlook for Android Questions Using Outlook 8
O flagging replies - several questions Using Outlook 2
P Moving PST file questions Using Outlook 3
Y PST file questions Using Outlook 1
D Questions related to usage of webpage in outlook Using Outlook 1
G Questions on creating Outlook forms Using Outlook 0
O x86 vs. x64 Sql Server 08 Dbase Questions BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
Jennifer Murphy Questions about ANSI-Unicode PST conversion article Using Outlook 2
J Multiple Outlook questions Using Outlook 2
P Field option selection resulting into multiple questions BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
S Questions about Calendar Notifications Using Outlook 1
H Couple of 2007 Calendar questions Using Outlook 1
K CPA - Office 2010 - 64 bit Questions Calendar Printing Assistant 1
S Couple of questions related to calender Using Outlook 1
S Seperating email accounts, Syncronizing, and a few newbie questions Using Outlook 5
T Outlook 2010 Mutliple Exchange Accounts SET UP QUESTIONS Using Outlook 4
S Exchange Server Beginner Questions Exchange Server Administration 2
M MS Outlook 2010, 2 questions, 1 about pasting and 1 about sending Using Outlook 1
J Certificate questions and understanding Exchange Server Administration 6
R calendar default permissions - several related questions Using Outlook 1
D CAS Array Questions Exchange Server Administration 3
I Outlook 2010 questions, Mass import into contact group, cull duplicate addressbook entries, alphabet Using Outlook 1
D Questions and Answers in Live Meeting 2007 Using Outlook 1
M Questions about product keys for Office 2010 Beta Using Outlook 1
P Setting Up HT Server; Questions Exchange Server Administration 3