Import Outlook Contacts and Calendar from XP Home to Windows 7 Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JKup

I have Windows XP sp3 with Outlook. Just bought new laptop with windows 7 and Outlook 2010. How can I transfer Contacts and Calendar from the XP to Windows 7? I have WORD, EXCEL & OUTLOOK ON BOTH COMPUTERS.

R

Russ Valentine

Question is answered several times a day. If you don't want to wait for an answer, try reading the forum before you post the same question. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored.

Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:
Moving Outlook to a New Computer
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

Note that some of the information on the Microsoft page is outdated and contains errors, particularly when applied to Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010. Specifically:
1. Ignore any advice to copy your PST file to Outlook's default location to connect it to your profile. Doing so will often corrupt your Outlook profile. Copy it anywhere BUT the default location and then open it within your Outlook profile.
2. Ignore any advice that tells you to use export or import to transfer an entire Outlook data file. That has never been sound advice, but the process has become too deeply flawed to be trusted.

Also, when you use manual configuration for your mail accounts in Outlook 2010 (always preferable) it has a nice new option that lets you connect to a pre-existing data file when creating a new profile instead of having to jump through all the hoops of creating a new file, connecting to the pre-existing file, then disconnecting the new file.

Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
C Import Outlook 2016 contacts into to: field Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Batch Import Photos into Outlook Contacts New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Macro to Bulk Import Contacts and vCards into Outlook New Slipstick.com Articles 0
F import individual contact info from excel to outlook contacts or vice versa Using Outlook 2
H Import contacts from Outlook.pst file into Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
N Import Contacts Excel CSV File into Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
D Outlook will not import backup copy of contacts. I have tried file-import-etc. but nothing happens. Using Outlook 3
Q How to import contacts, and email from Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 to Windows Live Mail? Using Outlook 5
A How can I import my Contacts from the Windows Contacts Folder to my Outlook? Using Outlook 2
C How to import the contacts into Outlook Using Outlook 2
I Outlook 2010 Shutting Down When Trying to Import Contacts to Business Contact Manager Using Outlook 3
S I can't import my Contacts/Address Book from Outlook Express 6 into Outlook 2010. I only receive my portion of the contacts. Using Outlook 1
E Trying to import my outlook 2003 contacts into outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
N Outlook 2010 - Import emails and contacts (address book) from Thunderbird 3.0 Using Outlook 7
K How to import BCM data to Outlook Contacts? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
L How to Import Exchange OST file into Outlook? Using Outlook 3
R PST->Outlook.com (Import vs Drag-n-Drop methods Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
P Import Categories from Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 8
T Outlook 2016 CSV Translator Import Error Using Outlook 6
L Need to import multiple Outlook files to Office 365 Account Using Outlook 4
T Outlook Calendar 2016 import Excel Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Can't import CSV or move Outlook items into EAS Accounts New Slipstick.com Articles 0
B Import Excel Text into Outlook Calender Using Outlook 4
GregS Import from Outlook.com .ost to IMAP .pst? Using Outlook 3
Q Outlook 2016\365 export specific rules to import in another system Exchange Server Administration 1
Diane Poremsky Macro to Bulk Import vCards into Outlook New Slipstick.com Articles 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i question about saving my .pst so I can import it to my Outlook after I build a new system Using Outlook 10
V Import from Outlook 2013 ost file? Using Outlook 2
E Want to Import Outlook 2003 pst files to later version Using Outlook 6
A Does Outlook import Gmail Archive? Using Outlook 1
bhogesh How to import .htm saved mail to outlook Using Outlook 3
J Easy way to re-import Gmail folders/labels into Outlook? Using Outlook 9
Calvyn Outlook 2003 cannot import .vcs subject Using Outlook 1
R How to Import Exchange Calendar data to Outlook.com Calendar Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 11
Sarge USMC Cannot import/export Outlook 13 Using Outlook 6
L Outlook 2007 Codes Export and Import Using Outlook 9
L Outlook 2007 Toolbar Export and Import Using Outlook 7
K Import 2013 Outlook Contact Address into Word Using Outlook 36
tswatek Import feature not working in Outlook Using Outlook 3
Hudas Import Outlook Emails(Inbox) to MS Access as Attachment Using Outlook 1
C Is It Pssible to Import Outlook Email files to Thundebird Using Outlook 2
wallisellener Outlook restarting after BCM import BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
C import pst in Outlook 2011 for Mac Using Outlook 0
H Bulk import of PST files into Outlook Using Outlook 1
K outlook 2007 Export/Import Distribution lists Using Outlook 1
H How do I import all my old email from Entourage 2004 (I have put email in separated folders), into my smart box of Outlook 2011 ? Thanks__ Using Outlook 2
R Can not import dbx files from outlook express into outlook 2003 after installing windows 7 64 bit Using Outlook 1
B Re: Export/Import/Switch from WLM to Outlook Using Outlook 1