Outlook 2010 - Contact Views: Why can I not view my contacts by typing in the last name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MPToronto

I recently migrated from Office 2007 to 2010. I uninstalled 2007, installed 2010 (Standard). All of my data from my pst file seemed to be available EXCEPT my contacts. I tried multiple views (Business card, Card, Phone etc.) but nothing worked. I got the agent orange progress meter and nothing appeared. I do have over 5,000 records so I left is a while...nothing.

I uninstalled and reinstalled...something seemed to have improved but now I can not find my contacts by typing in their last name when in a " Card View" . I am not talking about the search contact function just the straight type in the last name and it takes you to their contact record.

Any assistance, other than changing software solutions would be appreciated!

R

Russ Valentine

State the steps you used to migrate your Outlook data file to the new installation. Use Folder List view to examine you entire PST file's folder hierarchy so you can see if you ended up with more than one Contacts Folder in your migration.Russ Valentine

M

MPToronto

Russ - I did not actually do anything other than uninstall 2007 and install 2010. I launched 2010 and it automatically found my data (pst) file. Calander, emails etc. Just no contacts.

R

Russ Valentine

Outlook does not support an upgrade scenario. Did you never back up your Outlook data? Are you claiming that your Contacts Folder is now completely empty?Russ Valentine

M

MPToronto

Yes Diane, the " Type Down Feature" ! Granted the type down feature , I must believe, is only viable when there are some contacts to type down to. When I am able to get the contacts to display, which is irregular (i.e. I click on a Card view, nothing appears, click on Business Card view, contacts appear, then click back over to Card View and the contacts appear...I feel as though there must be a bug), and I type in even the first letter of a last name it does not navigate to the " P's" for example. It gets stuck on another contact.

Can I post a link to a video in here? If so, I will record my Outlook to show you what I mean.

M

MPToronto

I am claiming my contacts folder is empty sometimes. I can select a Contacts view from the options (Bus. Card, Card, Phone etc.) and they do not display all times when selected. I have discovered that the contacts are there because if I run a search the contact is displayed.

I am going to record my screen an link it so people do not think I'm crazy. ;-)

M

MPToronto

Sorry Ross, I just realized I did not answer your other question re: back-up. Yes, I have the pst file backed up.

R

Russ Valentine

It seems highly unlikely that a Contacts Folder contains Contacts sometimes but then is completely empty at others. Are you really talking about your Contacts _Folder_? Is it possible that you aren't even talking about Contacts at all? Are you confusing your Contacts with autocompletion? Autocompletion entries have nothing to do with your Contacts.

I'll repeat. Are you actually opening a Contacts Folder and finding it blank? If not, then your Contacts were transferred.

Russ Valentine

R

Russ Valentine

Keep it safe until we figure out what your actual problem is.Russ Valentine

R

Russ Valentine

A picture is worth a thousand words. The problem is the one I identified at the outset. Outlook does not support an upgrade scenario. Outlook 2010 created its own PST file which contains no data. Your previous Outlook data file is also in this profile and you can see its Contacts below the ones you are fiddling with in this video.

Never try to upgrade Outlook. If you do, you must immediately create a new Outlook profile from scratch and connect it correctly to your previous Outlook data file. You can still do so now and connect it to your most recent good backup of your Outlook data file. When you create a new profile manually in Outlook 2010 it provides you the option to connect to an existing data file. Use that option.

Russ Valentine

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Diane and Russ- thanks for your assistance thus far. Russ, sorry for calling you R" o" ss previously.

Please review the posted flash video file and feel free to ask me to any other details and I will do my best to answer them.

http://www.pettler.com/outlook2010/outlook2010.html

Did you ever try resetting the view on the folder? (Or opening outlook with the /cleanviews switch)

M

MPToronto

No I have not. Sorry, I do not actually know what you mean by resetting the view on the folder or opening outlook with the /cleanviews switch. Can you provide some detail on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Werewolf Workaround for the missing Activities tab in Contact Folder Properties in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Outlook 2010 & Contact Activities New Slipstick.com Articles 0
A Adding a 2010 sharepoint contact list to outlook 2010 address book Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2010 Contact Pictures Disappearing Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2010 - email address disappears when setting up new contact Using Outlook 0
I Outlook 2010 - Remove or Hide Suggested Contact Folders Using Outlook 1
F Outlook 2010 contact e-mail Display as: does not show contact name Using Outlook 2
H Importing Windows Live Mail Contact into Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
S change default contact list in Outlook 2010 to "contacts" rather than "global" Exchange Server Administration 1
M Outlook 2010 - linking appointments to contact activities Outlook Wishlist 9
D Outlook 2010 - email address disappears when setting up new contact Using Outlook 3
N Save new contact from inbox to contact subfolder in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
J Business Contact Manager in MS Outlook 2010 - get error message when try to use. Using Outlook 2
B synchronizing categories of contacts between outlook 2010 and business contact manager Using Outlook 1
S SYNCHRONIZATION OF OUTLOOK 2010 CONTACT TO BLACK BERRY Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 14 lose contact with our exchange server 2010 after Windows 7 have been in power save mode. Using Outlook 2
K Updating Contact Groups in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
I Outlook 2010- when I hover over a contact the right name appears for a second and then gets replaced Using Outlook 2
B In Contact Properties of Outlook 2010, it does not allow me to check the check box " Show this folde Using Outlook 2
B Re: In Contact Properties of Outlook 2010, it does not allow me to check the check box " Show this f Using Outlook 2
T Outlook 2010 Contact Macro Using Outlook 3
G Trial Outlook 2010 Export email and contact Records to Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2007 Business Contact Mgr and Word 2010 Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2010, journal, appointments, other items do show up in contact activities Using Outlook 1
B Unable to install Business Contact Manager for Outlook Professional Plus 2010 on WIN 7 - 64bit Using Outlook 1
S Office 2010 Outlook Contacts Lists Issue Multiple Contact lists. Using Outlook 3
I Outlook 2010 questions, Mass import into contact group, cull duplicate addressbook entries, alphabet Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2010 stops working and closes when importing data to Business Contact Manager Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2010 - contact activities displays emails NOT addressed to contact Using Outlook 3
I Contact categories problem when upgrading from 2007 to 2010 Outlook Using Outlook 1
J Microsoft Outlook 2010 Contact Phone Number Region/Country Using Outlook 3
P Facebook showing as a contact in Outlook 2010 social connector - facebook messages do not include sender's profile. Using Outlook 1
N Business Application for Master Category List in 2010 Outlook's Business Contact Manager Using Outlook 1
P Merging contact list from outlook express to outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
R Re: Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
H How to restore the Master Category List in Outlook 2010 and Business Contact Manager 2010 on Windows Using Outlook 2
M Business Contact Manager (Outlook 2010) indexes Accounts but not Business Contacts Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2010 Shutting Down When Trying to Import Contacts to Business Contact Manager Using Outlook 3
D Moving from Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007 to BCM 2010 Using Outlook 1
G Daily Activities Report in MS Outlook 2010 Business Contact Manager Using Outlook 1
R Availability of Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
C Problems adding business contact to business project in Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 Calendar entries do not show as Contact Activities Using Outlook 6
M Need help with ease of entering contacts in a Contact Group in Microsoft Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
I Business Contact Manager for Microsoft Outlook 2010 won't install Using Outlook 1
S Installing Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2010 in Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus Using Outlook 4
K Business Contact Manager Contact Import of 3000 contacts already in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
V Outlook 2010 addressing email with contact information but using blank email address Using Outlook 1
S Importing Contact from Outlook 2007 to oultlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
G Outlook Business Contact Manager 2010 Using Outlook 1