Outlook 2010 Access Denied. Cannot open pst file‏

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JLachman

Outlook 2010 Access Denied. Cannot open pst file‏

Hi everyone,

My Office 2010 beta just expired, so I had to uninstall MS Office 2010 and reinstall the official release.

After the uninstall, I saved my pst file to a different location and cleaned the AppData directory of Outlook which contained the pst files and other files. I installed Office 2010 and when I opened Outlook it missed the Outlook.pst file. So I put my old pst file back in the AppData dir.

But when I select the pst file to open, it throws the message (translated from dutch): " Access is denied. You don't have permission to open C:\Users\..\..\..\..\Outlook.pst" .

I checked the properties of the file. readonly was not selected and I changed the security permission for me to full control. (it was set to read & write) But this had no effect.

I moved my Outlook.pst and let Outlook 2010 create a new Outlook.pst file. After that I noticed that all my emailaccounts where still in place, so I wonder where Outlook saved my accounts. Now I wanted to import my Outlook_old.pst file, but I still get the message:

" Access is denied. You don't have permission to open C:\Users\..\..\..\..\Outlook.pst" .

I really want my old mailbox back, so if any of you guys has an idea for me, I would be very grateful

Kind regards,

John

Ps. I did the backup & replace of my Outlook.pst file a bunch of times in Office 2003 and Office 2007 and never got this message.

R

Roady [MVP]

Re: Outlook 2010 Access Denied. Cannot open pst file‏

You should not have emptied the AppData directory of Outlook; Outlook 2010 would have automatically picked up your settings then. By deleting its contents you've corrupted your mail profile and you'll have to recreate it via the Mail applet in Control Panel. For details see;

http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/newprofile.htm

Overwriting/replacing your pst-file like this will also corrupt your mail profile. The proper way is to reconnect to your pst-file via;

File-> Open-> Open Outlook Data File

Also, copy your pst-file to the " Outlook Files" directory in your My Documents folder (or create it if it doesn't exist). Leaving it in the AppData structure is asking for it to be forgotten someday. By keeping it in your My Documents folder, it'll be less likely that you'll forget it to include in your backups ;-)

In addition, also see;

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

Robert Sparnaaij

J

JLachman

Thanks for the info. It was really stupid of me to empty the appdata :(

My backup pst file was corrupt and repairtool could not fix it. Fortunately I keep track of my email on two computers, so I could copy the pst file again and succesfully import it in Outlook.

Kind regards,

John

M

mikesonu1

Make sure you have admin rights and you have not make any changes in Outlook PST file location. Please also lee me know, when did you get the error message.

Mike

Outlook PST Repair

J

JLachman

I got the error:

- When I wanted to import the .pst file in Outlook

- When I wanted to open the .pst file in Outlook

- When I replaced the .pst file Outlook currently uses and replace it with my backup .pst file.

When I used the repairtool I got the message that the .pst file was readonly. But when I checked the properties, the readonly checkbox was not checked.

So I let the repairtool have it's way and it came to the conclusion that my .pst file was corrupted and it's repair function could not fix my .pst file.

The things I did to make it work again:

- I made a new mail profile for Outlook in control panel.

- I copied the .pst file from my Outlook on a different computer. (which was not corrupted in the process of moving it)

and I could successfully import that .pst file.

R

Russ Valentine

Note that Roady told you to open your PST file, not import it. Importing an entire PST file loses or misplaces data. Moreover, Outlook 2010 now has an option when you use manual configuration for your mail accounts that lets you connect to a pre-existing data file when creating a new profile. That would have been your best move.Russ Valentine

J

JLachman

Thanks, Russ. I'll remind that for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Can't open .pst. Message could not access default folder (Outlook 2010 (.pst). Before that was backi Using Outlook 0
A Allow Programmatic Access Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
R Shared Inbox Outlook 2010 - one client cannot access Exchange Server Administration 1
T How can I send e-mail from an Access 2010 application using Outlook not CDO Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2010 can not access Out of office Exchange Server Administration 2
P How do I access my address book lists in Outlook 2010 so that I can send e mails to group members Using Outlook 1
A I have purchased a replacement computer and installed Outlook 2010. My server is a 2003 small business exchange server. How can I access the calenda Using Outlook 1
H Use group policy to block access to modify account settings outlook/exchange 2010. Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2010. Cannot access my Contacts from clicking 'To' butto to find an email send address. Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2010 and can't access gmail account Using Outlook 3
K How many old e-mails can Outlook 2010 store, access, and manage? Megabytes or Gigabytes? Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 2010 - Public Folders difficult to access after adding multiple additional mailboxes into th Using Outlook 4
P Force Outlook 2010 to access Exchange Server ? Using Outlook 4
B Switching Access from version 2010 to 2007 or 2003 causes Outlook to no longer be able to send or receive email. Using Outlook 2
B Missing Outlook 2010 Send/Receive button after using Access 2007. Using Outlook 3
E After 2010 Office Beta expired, my 2007 Outlook version stopped working properly. Can not access correct profile and synchronization with Blackberry p Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 crashes when trying to access signature Using Outlook 1
M Problem Linking Outlook 2010 to Access 2010 Using Outlook 2
A Access 64 bit Outlook 2010 from 32 bit C++ application Using Outlook 1
N cannot access outlook.pst Office 2010 Win 7 Using Outlook 2
K Access Denied to pst file created with Outlook 2003 and now in Outlook 2010 with Windows 7. Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2010 - Web access Using Outlook 1
S CAS access problem with new Outlook 2003 profile to Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
T Outlook 2010 and WSS lists access rights read-only Using Outlook 1
C what is my server - tried to set up - chose Microsoft Exchange server - now cannot access Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
J Lost access to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 - Quick Access Text Labels Using Outlook 2
M How to unblock and access imap email a/c in MS Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2007/2010 configuration access to clustered Exchange Servers Exchange Server Administration 3
S Unable to access Address Book in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
L Outlook Web Access on Exchange 2010 is very slow Exchange Server Administration 7
J Unable to access public folders in Outlook 2007 on Exchange 2010. OWA PF works fine Using Outlook 7
E I lost Access 2007 and Outlook 2003 when I loaded Office Home and Student 2010 Using Outlook 2
A Outlook Web App 2010 accessible from Google Chrome but OWA freezes with an "Access is denied uglobal Exchange Server Administration 3
S Outlook Web Access Exchange 2010 Using Outlook 6
C Re: Team Email feature of Outlook 2010 doesn't access Outlook contacts. Using Outlook 2
N Office 2010, can't access other people's schedules in Outlook. Using Outlook 1
Z Exchange 2010 OWA and outlook 2003 not able to access from terminal server after redoing the database. Exchange Server Administration 6
e_a_g_l_e_p_i I think it may be time to upgrade from Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 2
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2010 Problem with OutLook 2010 32 bit, after Windows Auto Update Using Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 is Auto Purging when not configured for that Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 Reading Pane Slows Startup Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 2010 Can not find a certain file in M/S Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
Mark Foley Cannot enable add-in in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
W Outlook 2010 some sent items marked unread now (was Ok before) Using Outlook 0